real life scenario, how'd I do?

This is a discussion on real life scenario, how'd I do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned"....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: real life scenario, how'd I do?

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned".

2. Remove Ads

OP, you did just what I would have done...

Yeah, I'll be checking my property out without a call to the local authorities, unless a threat has been verified visually, or by sign that I discovered by my own investigation. The sheriffs department has better things to do than go on every wild goose chase some homeowner might come up with. I agree regarding the shotgun, if you have one, that's the weapon to clear the property with IMO.

For the "let um take what they want" guys. Better you than me. Some worthless loser breaks into my house and he/they have disturbed me in my safe zone, those idiots are subject to my wrath at that point. To steal something from my yard, or car is one thing, but once you have breached my home, they have just put their life on the line of their own accord. Not even in a hurry to shoot anyone, or kill anything for that matter, but not going to cower to the possibility of having do so either.

Oh' and not calling anyone a coward either, so don't get all jacked up at something that's not there.. I'm just not gonna contribute to the career criminal. I'll end his poor decision making skills, if he's not smart enough to leave when he hears me moving around..
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    For the "let um take what they want" guys. Better you than me. Some worthless loser breaks into my house and he/they have disturbed me in my safe zone, those idiots are subject to my wrath at that point. To steal something from my yard, or car is one thing, but once you have breached my home, they have just put their life on the line of their own accord. Not even in a hurry to shoot anyone, or kill anything for that matter, but not going to cower to the possibility of having do so either...
    Your interpretation is others' remarks may be off the mark.

For me, I never implied they could have anything. I would immediately call the police to deal with the thief.

The word "cower" you use is the basis for the word coward. You may not have overtly called someone out, but you use emotionally-laden language thats someone *may* infer to be derogatory. I read no remarks where anyone said they would "cower".

For me, I simply refuse to put choke points behind me. It's my personal tactical strategy. I have a large home. If I leave the bedroom that I control to go confront (or attempt to shoot) someone at another place in my house, I am giving up the tactical advantage I have remaining in my bedroom. You may call that "cowering" - I call it playing it smart. I'm not interesting in defending a TV or plate silver with my life like others may choose to do.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Your interpretation is others' remarks may be off the mark.

For me, I never implied they could have anything. I would immediately call the police to deal with the thief.

The word "cower" you use is the basis for the word coward. You may not have overtly called someone out, but you use emotionally-laden language thats someone *may* infer to be derogatory. I read no remarks where anyone said they would "cower".

For me, I simply refuse to put choke points behind me. It's my personal tactical strategy. I have a large home. If I leave the bedroom that I control to go confront (or attempt to shoot) someone at another place in my house, I am giving up the tactical advantage I have remaining in my bedroom. You may call that "cowering" - I call it playing it smart. I'm not interesting in defending a TV or plate silver with my life like others may choose to do.
    Fair enough MadMac, my bad regarding the bold text... I see your point, and IMO it's justified and point taken..

Although IMO, you can cower at the thought of something without being a coward at heart... Just something to chew on....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Fair enough MadMac, my bad regarding the bold text... I see your point, and IMO it's justified and point taken..

Although IMO, you can cower at the thought of something without being a coward at heart... Just something to chew on....
    Thank you for your nice post. I simply wanted to point out that the verb "cower" may even be technically correct, but it could easily be misinterpreted. I prefer to say I remain vigilant in my tactically superior defensive position attempting to prevail in this dire situation by intelligent use of my limited resources. You can call it cowering if you wish.

So did your fiancee give you something a little extra special that night? If so, then good job.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trainercb View Post
    I think if you were involved in a shooting they may claim that you obviously weren't too afraid or threatened of great bodily harm by pursuing the possible aggressor.
    I certainly wouldn't consider it pursuing and since the suspect has already breached private property he just became an aggressor. Nothing "possible" about it.

That's technically not true for many states. I believe Texas is the one and only state that allows you to use deadly force to protect your property.

If I come home and surprise a burglar who is walking down my driveway with my flat screen, I cannot legally use deadly force to keep him from leaving with my TV (in my home state).

Personally, my wife and I have discussed this, and we cannot morally justify killing another human being simply to keep our insured property from being pilfered. If we hear a crash downstairs in the night, we will call 911 from behind our locked bedroom door. If an intruder attempts to breach the door, we'll send all kinds of lead through that door. That's our decision. YMMV.
    I see your plan and that is fine. However, I cannot see how you would justify a reprimand against someone else whose decision is different.

Many people here amaze me - always looking for some excuse, however flimsy, to yank out the firearm and drop someone.

Why in the name of all that's holy would I want to wrestle with a burglar over anything?

I carry a gun to remain safe, not to look for reasons to be foolhardy.
    What's flimsy about someone sneaking around your property, at night, whom you did not invite? You carry a gun to be safe? Safe from what? Who? Do you wait to be fired upon to use your gun in self defense?
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    How long does it take law enforcement to respond in your area and what kind of work load do they have?

In many areas they might be able to get there quicker than you and I never knew one that minded making sure a lady home alone was OK when things go "bump in the night".

Good to know they are already on the way of things go sour before you get there too.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    What's flimsy about someone sneaking around your property, at night, whom you did not invite? You carry a gun to be safe? Safe from what? Who? Do you wait to be fired upon to use your gun in self defense?
    The OP was about confronting someone leaving your house with your possessions. If I can avoid a confrontation, I ALWAYS opt for that course of action. It's simply safer.

My wife and I also have a moral compunction about taking a life over property. We insure our homes and possessions. If anything is stolen (as has been the case in the past), we invoke our insurance policy to replace the items. Nothing I own - and I mean NOTHING - is worth a gunfight.

Many people here mistakenly assume they are going to prevail in any gunfight. I know better. I have grown older and wiser. No one wins in a gunfight. You are never guaranteed to prevail in a confrontation of any type. If a confrontation can be avoided - even in my own home - I will come down on the side of safety.

YMMV.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    The OP was about confronting someone leaving your house with your possessions. If I can avoid a confrontation, I ALWAYS opt for that course of action. It's simply safer.

My wife and I also have a moral compunction about taking a life over property. We insure our homes and possessions. If anything is stolen (as has been the case in the past), we invoke our insurance policy to replace the items. Nothing I own - and I mean NOTHING - is worth a gunfight.

Many people here mistakenly assume they are going to prevail in any gunfight. I know better. I have grown older and wiser. No one wins in a gunfight. You are never guaranteed to prevail in a confrontation of any type. If a confrontation can be avoided - even in my own home - I will come down on the side of safety.

YMMV.
    The amount of time used to avoid a confrontation could be problematic. I hope your mindset serves you well.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    MadMac, tactically secure defensive position? You have been hanging around some of my coworkers lol. Just joshing you a bit. I again agree with MadMac, its just property, have her go to the bedroom, look out windows, etc if someone is for sure coming in. However if an alarm is tripped, I see no harm in grabbing a weapon and investigating.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links