real life scenario, how'd I do?

This is a discussion on real life scenario, how'd I do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, long story short. I'm at work at the firehouse, and my fiance' calls me crying saying that she things someone is around our house. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: real life scenario, how'd I do?

real life scenario, how'd I do?

So, long story short. I'm at work at the firehouse, and my fiance' calls me crying saying that she things someone is around our house. We live in a semi-rural area on about 4 acres. I have installed a driveway sensor, and that alarmed, which caused my fiance's fear. At this point, I tell her to verify that our home alarm is set (which it was) and to make sure she had her S&W 38 (complete with pink grips) with her (which she did). So at this point, I'm not convinced that someone is trying to come into the house, so I delay a call to 911. I went ahead and left work (such a great thing about working for the fire department, family comes first) and went home, all the while, the fiance' was on the phone with me, with her cell phone pre-dialed to 911 so all she had to do was press send. When I get home 20 minutes later, I checked on the old lady and she was alright, as were both our dogs and cat. I told her to stay in the house, and stay on the line with me (i put my phone on speaker and put it in my pocket)and told her that if she hears me talking to anyone, or a scuffle or anything out of the ordinary, to call 911. I went ahead and checked around the house with my Maglite and Glock 26 drawn. All was well, no signs of anything. So, I chalk it up to a stray animal walking in front of the driveway sensor or something along those lines. So, whatdaya think?
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth. - George Washington
    Keeping it "on the square"

2. Remove Ads

I think if you were involved in a shooting they may claim that you obviously weren't too afraid or threatened of great bodily harm by pursuing the possible aggressor.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I think you did fine. @Trainercb - What? Does he not have the right to check his own property and make sure his loved one is safe?
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by trainercb View Post
    I think if you were involved in a shooting they may claim that you obviously weren't too afraid or threatened of great bodily harm by pursuing the possible aggressor.
    Interesting point. I think in that situation I would have done the same thing again for the simple fact of not knowing if anyone was out there and what their intentions were. Let's face it, I nor my Fiance' would have slept at all if we thought someone was lurking around our house in the dark.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth. - George Washington

Thank god for castle doctrine laws that allow you to stand your ground and defend yourself on your own property huh?

he should have called the PD so they could have hurriedly done a quick inspection then told him to call them if they had any further problems right? Feel good. Call the police. Feel good. Conditioning.

VIP Member
    Critters out here trigger light-activating motion sensors all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Critters out here trigger light-activating motion sensors all the time.
    my thoughts exactly, however I dare say I would have been in worse shape if I would have told the old lady that she was over reacting instead of coming home to check it out haha. Remember, Hell hath no fury like a womans scorn!

Quote Originally Posted by rockerff View Post
    At this point, I tell her to verify that our home alarm is set (which it was) and to make sure she had her S&W 38 (complete with pink grips) with her (which she did).
    I'd feel more comfortable if she had a shotty in her hands (paint it pink if you like). I think you did fine, and as others have mentioned, calling the police is never a bad idea.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    You did just fine. The only critique I would offer, I believe I would have switched to a 12 guage when I went outside to check the property.
    Ya done good!
    Eagleks likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I dissagree.

VIP Member
    If I wasn't concerned for my own safety, I would not carry a firearm, especially when checking the perimeter for mountain lions, zombies, etc.

You done good. The cell phone on is a great idea.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

VIP Member
    This time of year, with the deer either in, or going into the rut, expect many more false alarms.

I see nothing wrong with your actions.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'm not going to quaterback your decision - I think most of us here would drop everything and run home if our spouse felt threatened.

That said, these situations are the reason we got rid of our passive infra-red flood lights. Deer, raccoons, o'possum, snakes, and a variety of other natural phenomena would trip them. I found myself waking up during the night, seeing the lights on, and felt compelled to perform my little security patrol to check the house and look outside in the yard.

I got rid of the sensors, and now sleep like a baby.
    Last edited by MadMac; October 27th, 2011 at 08:31 PM.

One question for MadMac: How big was that FREAKIN' SNAKE?!?!?!?!?!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links