Attempted Abduction / Stranger at the door - Two Scenarios That Actually Occured - Page 2

Attempted Abduction / Stranger at the door - Two Scenarios That Actually Occured

This is a discussion on Attempted Abduction / Stranger at the door - Two Scenarios That Actually Occured within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by adric22 Seems quite a few people here would agree with you on this.. Maybe your way is the "best" way to go ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Attempted Abduction / Stranger at the door - Two Scenarios That Actually Occured

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Seems quite a few people here would agree with you on this.. Maybe your way is the "best" way to go about things, but I just don't feel right about it. For one, it seems rude. True, it is rude to people I don't know, but it would still feel rude to me.

However, I try to always answer the door with a gun on my hip. The salesmen and Jehovah's witnesses and the like seem to lose a lot of enthusiasm for some reason. If it is late at night, I open the door but I keep a chambered gun in my hand on the back side of the door where they can't see as I carefully open it. And we have security cameras too, so I always have a good look at whoever it is before opening the door. If they looked like they were armed or something I probably wouldn't open the door. If it is girl scouts, I hate to say it, but I usually buy from them.

As far as the original poster is concerned, I might have done the same thing. I've never heard a story like this and it would have taken me by surprise and I might not have known what to do given only a few seconds to consider the possibilities. However, now that I have read the story, should it ever happen to me I'll know better how to respond.
    If you stopped opening your door to strangers, you wouldn't have to worry about how to respond. I don't want to advertise my gun ownership to strangers or religious proselytizing zealots or even Girl Scouts. Why do you let some weird social convention about what constitutes rude compromise you family's safety? How do they know you simply aren't home? This is about your safety and that of your family. I am not as "open" as I used to be, and have good reason to be so.

I have seen this from both sides.

My job requires me to go do appraisal of residential and commercial properties. I have the legal authority to venture on property, have the proper ID, and the right to be there. I have been met at the door by gun-weilding people who were unsure of who I was, one man pointed a round- in-the-chamber Ruger LCP directly at me when the door flew open.

These people don't know me and assume I would be there for harmful reasons. I don't take offense or say it is "rude" but it sure makes me think about the "next" door that I knock upon especially when you have a loaded pistol pointed in your direction.

The flip side of the coin is that we cannot trust everyone, and not answering the door isn't rude at all. There is no law requiring a door to be opened at some stranger's request. Talking with someone through the door is what I would have done until I assessed the situation and determine if I want to confront them face to face. If I am not sure I tell them go away or I'm calling 911. Unless the dog has her way and gets to them first.

As for the first scenario, I am constantly looking about. My "hood" is relatively "safe" but that means nothing to some drug crazed punk who might be trolling the alleyways looking for a target. My detached garage is on the alley and I see all manner of "humanity" wandering up and down it. I always keep watch because you never know when it will happen and not "if."
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I had someone knock on my door like at 1AM once, it turned out to be a very nice LEO who saw my garage door open and stop just let me know I forgot to close it. Be cautious but also open minded.
    Last edited by TonyDTrigger; October 29th, 2011 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    That is funny!

The same thing happens at my house.
    It's a great deterrent, isn't it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I still live in a world where I can open the door. I will not feel afraid to do so. To help someone or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I still live in a world where I can open the door. I will not feel afraid to do so. To help someone or otherwise.
    Self-proclaimed gypsies accused of stealing from homes of senior citizens - The Denver Post

Self-proclaimed gypsies have been indicted after they allegedly stole thousands of dollars in cash and property from senior citizens along the Front Range.

Javon Ristick, 26, and Erik Burt, 27, are accused of entering 10 homes in Arvada, Colorado Springs, Denver, Golden, Lincoln County Lakewood and Stasburg by posing as neighbors and relatives of the victims, according to a news release from the Office of the Attorney General.

After talking their way inside the homes, Ristick and Burt would ask to use the bathroom.

Ristick allegedly distracted the victims while Burt found and stole cash, jewelry, collector coins and other items.

Arrest warrants have been issued for both Ristick and Burt. Bail has been set for $500,000 each.
    And there is your otherwise. One day it will escalate if nobody stops them. Coming to a city near you.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PARandom View Post
    I asked her what she meant, but before she could even answer, a siren sounded near by and she pushed against me and into the house.
    OP I don't have a problem with anything you did up to this point (in bold). In almost any situation there comes a time to decide if there is a threat and to act. That action can be violence, to run or just a call to 911. Sometimes there is no need for action at all because you realize there is no threat.

In this case there was a clear time to act. That time was when she started to "push" past you. As soon as she pushed you should have forcibly ejected her from your porch and from your life. You should have gone back inside the house at this point and called the police. THERE IS NO WAY SHE SHOULD HAVE BEEN ALLOWED INTO YOUR HOME.
    TheGiant likes this.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    October 3, 2008
    Cary, N.C. — Cary police took cheek swabs, hair combings and blood samples from a 17-year-old Apex man charged with attacking a Cary couple in their 60s this past weekend, and they photographed him.

In backing up their request for a search warrant, released Friday, police also gave more details about the alleged attack.

Police charged Gavin John Clevesy, 17, of 311 Milky Way Drive, with first-degree rape, first-degree sex offense, first-degree breaking and entering, first-degree kidnapping, assault with intent to kill and simple assault.

He was being held in jail under a $2.5 million bond.

Investigators said Clevesy was intoxicated when he left a party in the MacGregor Downs neighborhood shortly before 9 p.m. Saturday and began knocking on doors.

A couple in their 60s was watching TV at their home on Edinburgh Drive when they heard the doorbell ring, according to the search warrant.

The husband, who is 67, went to the front door and unlocked the deadbolt, police said.

Clevesy "immediately forced entry into the residence" and "assaulted (the husband) to a degree that (the husband) was disabled," according to the search warrant.

Clevesy then assaulted the wife, who is 66, police said. He attempted to sexually assault the woman inside the house, but was unsuccessful, police said.

The husband got up and attempted to defend his wife and himself, police said. The wife ran out of the house as Clevesy attacked the husband a second time in a "more violent nature," according to the search warrant.

Clevesy hit the man over the head with a statue, the warrant said.

The wife fled the house but was unable to find help. Clevesy ran out after her, grabbed her and forcefully took her to a wooded area nearby, police said.

"Clevesy forced (the wife) onto the ground in the wooded area," where he sexually assaulted and raped her, according to the warrant.

------snip----

When you're done being horrified, look up this town online. It's usualy rated as one of the Top Ten Safest Places to Live in America.

I know everyone here would say, "I ALWAYS have my gun and I would have shot him, blah, blah, blah...."

So what? The sad part was this guy simply opened his door - that's why he and his wife were attacked.

You can continue to swing open your door for strangers. I will not.
    Last edited by MadMac; November 1st, 2011 at 12:24 PM.

I agree with advise not to open door except for people you know, scheduled visits, etc.

I would imagine you could conceal carry on your property. I would not flash the hardware. Maybe a Jframe or something similar you could slip into your pocket in rare incidents you did go outside.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    When you're done being horrified, look up this town online. It's usualy rated as one of the Top Ten Safest Places to Live in America.
    Your right Mac. Another thing Cary, NC is know for is being VERY unfriendly to CCers.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Your right Mac. Another thing Cary, NC is know for is being VERY unfriendly to CCers.
    True dat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links