You decide to act, which threat do you stop first?

This is a discussion on You decide to act, which threat do you stop first? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A small cell phone business 5 blocks from my house was robbed at gunpoint recently in the early afternoon. Two men in Halloween masks, both ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: You decide to act, which threat do you stop first?

A small cell phone business 5 blocks from my house was robbed at gunpoint recently in the early afternoon. Two men in Halloween masks, both holding handguns.

BG #1 seems calm (not his first rodeo) and demanding the cash and used cell phones be placed in duffel bag.

BG #2 is visibly shaking and acting really nervous (definitely his first rodeo).

Small hole in the wall strip mall retail space. "L" shaped counter around 2 walls and open empty floor space. Both BGs in front of you and the register, about 3-5 feet apart. No other customers in the shop.

You decide to act, you are the clerk behind the counter, this is your small business, you are in fear for your life. Who is your first target and why?

For the sake of argument, the register faces one side wall, and it's brick - minimal worries about whats behind your target.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    You have decided to act....................Is your life worth whatever they are going to take when the odds are two to one and both have their guns out ? There is always a chance that one or both will decide to shoot but not probable under your scenario.

Now to answer your question as asked. As Josie Wales said,"The one with the the crazy eyes".

OK. Crazy eyes may freeze, or pull the trigger prematurely. Calm guy is a bit more focused on the situation.

Maybe ask the calm BG to have his twitchy partner either put the gun away, take is finger off the trigger, or point it elsewhere?

Wouldn't engaging in that type of dialogue throw them out of there OODA (?) loop and present an opportunity?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

'You have decided to act............'

Alrighty, I go for the closest one. Crazy-eyes or calm, it's game-time and neither are 'expecting' a gunfight. Turn on the lights and the vermin scatter. I have surprise going for me so I'm taking aimed shots, not spraying 'n praying. When in a hurry, take your time. That advice sounds good but this is a very fluid and dynamic situation......don't shoot customers or passers-by
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Based on the scenario as written, I would go for the one who is calm first. A person who is visibly shaking may or may not hit his target when and if he fires. The calm guy appears to be the one in charge and may become rattle himself when the shooting starts. If he gives up the fight and runs, the one who is already shaking will follow him. The person who is already visibly shaking will not become calm when the shooting starts.

I really don't like the odds of one person against two, shaking or not, but since it was written that I had already decided to act, that's the way I would play it.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    WHEC724 and patrickemtp like this.

"Power is when you have every justification to kill someone, and then you don't." But the one thats shaking would be more likely to give up when doo-doo hits the fan. When you're under stress this will most likely be a thought process that simply will not happen. rooty tooty aim and shooty
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

I am going for the calm one. After he see the lead BG dead he is either (a) going to drop the gun and head for the door (b) fire 1 shot just because his finger was on the trigger and then head for the door. Should not be to hard to find later on follow the trail of poop running down his leg.

MOVE as I draw putting BG1 between me and BG2 shoot BG1 and as he drops continue firing into BG2
    WHEC724, babarock and PPKman like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I'll give them what they ask for. I'm not getting into a shootout unless I have a gut feeling they're gonna shoot me first. Now when they turn to exit the store.........................

Under this situation, acting will more than likely get you killed.
    Your odds of surviving are slim with one gunman, almost non exiisting with two guns trained on you.
    rigel42, msgt/ret and Secret Spuk like this.

Closest one to me when the party starts!
    atctimmy likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Give BG # 1 the new BlackBerry cell phone and while he's trying figure out why there's no service, shoot BG # 2, then tell BG#1 he can keep the phone, but he needs to drop his gun.

Seriously though.. Like it's been said.. Two guns pointed at you, and one is in the hands of a highly nervous individual... Give um what you think will do to get um outa the store and leave everyone unharmed. Hopefully you're insured and a few hundred dollars and a few run of the mill cell phones aren't worth getting killed over IMO.
    msgt/ret, Knute and Secret Spuk like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Closest one to me when the party starts!
    Lets get this party started! LOL.

Im going for the closest, who is probably the calm one any way.

Too many variables,it's a trick question!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links