Carjacking attempt or messed up druggie?

This is a discussion on Carjacking attempt or messed up druggie? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Howdy , I work overnight security for a large auto conglomeration in Scottsdale,Az. I am friends with the local circle k clerk and occasionally go ...

Thread: Carjacking attempt or messed up druggie?

Carjacking attempt or messed up druggie?

Howdy , I work overnight security for a large auto conglomeration in Scottsdale,Az. I am friends with the local circle k clerk and occasionally go over there( across the street) and bs with him during the wee hours. Last night I went over to get snack and noticed a guy hanging in the parking lot that seemed to be messing with some of the late night patrons.
    This guy went into the store and was standing by the counter when I went in. I wandered around the store a while and finally decided what I wanted all the while keeping an eye on the guy.I could tell that the clerk was kind of on edge about the guy just standing at the counter. After I paid I walked out and the clerk followed me and told me that he suspected that the guy was going to try something and he asked me to call PD for him so that the guy wouldn't suspect anything.
    I started back across the street and called PD ,and told them the situation.When I looked back at the Circle k I saw the guy leaving the store and following me to the car dealership. I informed PD what that he had left and was now coming towards me. I sat in the front seat of my vehicle with the door open and proceeded to give PD the info of where I was , what the guy looked like what he was doing etc.

The guy proceeded across the street and was walking between the cars. I reached down and put my pistol on the seat next to me but hidden from view. at this point I was still talking with PD and I looked out to where the guy was and realized that he was moving pretty fast to my car. In a few seconds he was at my car standing inside my door when he put his hand out to me and said" Give me your keys".

I had my pistol in one hand and the phone in the other and told him in a loud voice " back off " "get way from me" all the while looking at his hands for a weapon or if he was going for one( he wasn't and he never made any threatening moves or statements). The dispatcher asked what he had said and I told her. He had not backed off so I told him again to " get the f*ck back" at this point dispatch ask me if I can leave the area, I inform her that he is standing right in front of me blocking my way out. At this point he backs up a few feet and squats down and starts pumping his fist and saying stuff like "you know" and other stuff I cant remember.

A few seconds later PD shows up and I put my gun on the floor and get out and talk with one of the responding officers and tell them the situation.
    They didn't seem to concerned that I come pretty close to drawing on this guy or that he had wanted my keys. The officer did say he thought that maybe the guy was going to rob the circle k or someone and was working up the courage because he was a first timer. He had nothing on him and I mean nothing ,no ID no money no weapons, but he was high as a kite.They wanted to have something called value options take him but they didn't want to take him so they ended up taking him to the hospital.

Anyway I know that there are something that I should have done different. Mainly not sitting in my car with the door open, being more aware of where he was in relation to me, and maybe I should have gotten out and forced my way past him when he was blocking me in. So what do you guys think?Any advice or constructive comments would be appreciated.
    "Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."-Captain John Parker

2. Remove Ads

Im glad that your ok.Just the crap scared out of you.I think you did OK. There always are the wouldhave,shouldhave,couldhave.You maintained your cool.That says ALOT.

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaCowboy
    Anyway I know that there are something that I should have done different. Mainly not sitting in my car with the door open ...
    Didn't realize the car door was open. One of the beautiful things about 3500 lbs of steel is the protective factor. I'd recommend having the doors/windows closed, doors locked and the engine running, if you ever find yourself in a similar situation. Be completely prepared to use that 3500 lbs, as it's your single best weapon and protection device. With the engine running, had he pulled a weapon then getting out of there instantly might well have been your best "out." As it was, everything turned out okay. Congrats on surviving an encounter that could easily have gone off and turned lethal.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Whew! Glad it worked out OK in the end for you. There will always be a bunch of ideas of what to do after the fact but the point is no body got hurt and the good guys came out on top. I'd agree that when he started following after me I'd of closed the car door, locked it and started the car while on the phone with the dispatcher. Before he got very close I'd be moving out and let the cops deal with him. But then we were not the ones there, you were!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

The BG standing inside of your door (bad mistake on your part) and him telling you "give me your keys" are threatening movements and statements...and quite frankly, should have been looking down the muzzle of your weapon...we all talk about the threat inside a 21ft radius and the bad things that can/will happen...this guy was not working on all cylinders and was in your lap; ergo, unpredictable.

In this case, you were fortunate...you weren't hurt and you had 911 on the line recording the event, and the PD rolling up...but you don't need to bleed first if the unstable guy decided to take you on with his bare hands.

I echo the previous statements here...3500lbs of steel and glass are a better shield than an open car door...continue to keep your cool...and thank God nothing else happened.

Mike in VA

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    As I was reading this story, I thought to myself that I would have shot the guy. It's probably good I don't have my CCW.

Sounds like you did pretty well considering you were probably nervous.

Howdy all, you know I realized as soon as he got that close that it was a mistake(duh!). I think I was paying to much attention to the dispatcher and wanting to give them the info than my own personal safety with some machismo thrown in. Needless to say I definitely learned somethings from the experience. Its amazing how fast a situation can turn bad. If anything I now have somethings to focus on in training and reactions etc.
    "Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."-Captain John Parker

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Man!!! Yeah you get some odd people cruisin around Scottsdale. Anything from the uber-rich to cracked out drifters. It's a good thing you were armed, but I think I would have to agree with some of the other posters - he would have been staring down the muzzle. I won't beat the dead horse with your car situation, though.

After hearing a lot of different stories about Scottsdale PD, I don't think any of this surprises me. In fact, knowing their history, they probably would have arrested YOU if you had pulled on this guy. Uhg. Glad you're okay, man!!!
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Scary stuff. Glad it worked out. I haven't a clue what I would have done differently. Sounds like you handled it well.

On second thought, maybe I would have given him the keys and then jumped him as he was getting in the vehicle. Beating him senseless and choking him out from there would come natural. I would then have a good story to tell the LEOs. "He attacked me and tried to steal my car, officer." :)

No second guessing here; you survived, you didn't have to shoot anyone, you were a good witness.

I suspect that with him approaching your open door, you really began to get a feeling of claustrophobia1!@$97asf .. or whatever the danged word is. I think I would have felt better by getting to my car, and staying outside of it while I talked and keep a 360 degree watch. The car, especally with the door open, gave you blind spots, made you MORE vulnerable, and allowed him to get to you a bit faster than you expected.

As one person mentioned, you could have gotten in it, started it up, and even drove in circles while you talked. I agree .. door shut, windows up best, started and moving is even better. That said, you done good .. I'm just using your situation to figure what I may have done differently, if anything at all. Congrats.

Good catch on spotting the perp, bad move letting him get that close, I would have closed and locked the door ASAP, and had it running ready to scat, you could have still talked with the PD while on the roll. When he got that close you were in serious danger, and if he had a weapon hidden or otherwise he could have killed you before you would have time to react. Never let a BG get that close without your gun drawn and ready. Az is one state where you could have used lethal force, and open carry is also very legit there. One more thing... next time in the area stop in at Dillon and drool for me.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Lead Moderator
    Glad you are o.k. , just remember space and a way out are good options to have.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaCowboy
    something that I should have done different. Mainly not sitting in my car with the door open, being more aware of where he was in relation to me...
    Glad to hear you're OK, also glad to hear you learned something from the experience without getting hurt in the process. Good luck!

Cheers.

Links