Car burglary

Car burglary

This is a discussion on Car burglary within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened to me years ago, but the perp was only about 10 years old. I instructed him to get out of the car and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Car burglary

Car burglary

This happened to me years ago, but the perp was only about 10 years old. I instructed him to get out of the car and he informed me that his "homeboy" had told him to get this money in the dash.

I told him his homeboy did not own the car and if he had any questions he could take them up with me personally.

This got me wondering, what if I were to come out my mine or one of my employees cars while an adult was in the progress of burglarizing it.

Our vehicles are in a small private parking area on the side of the building. What if you were to approach your vehicle while an adult was burglarizing it, would you pull your weapon in case or wait to see if he attacks you?

VIP Member
    Personally I'd stay back, call 911 and keep an eye on the BG. If he leaves before the police arrive, give them a good description as well as all the info you can, as to which direction he headed, if he was driving, make/model/color and tag number. If you can safely get a cell phone picture of the guy do it, if it can't be done safely don't do it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Only if your life is threatened, and if you see him in the vehicle before you get to it and can back off, your life is not threatened, so no gun at this point.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I agree with the above. Your not making an arrest but with your help an arrest can be made. By doing what was suggested remain concealed and report all you can in real time to police. I would only draw if i came upon one and startled them and they came around after me. Trading a car for the price of a human being doesnt seem right to me... but trading his life in so you may keep yours is..and is our right... side-arm for last resorts...

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Leaving out this scenario involving a 10 year old, in SC, if this burglary is AT NIGHT, you can point your firearm, tell him this is a citizen's arrest and if he decides to run away, you can shoot him. If you are in the car and someone attempts entry it is Castle Doctrine time and you can shoot him. Daytime and a 10 year old? What in the world is going on these days?

Just a note you can't burglarize a car, it is actually larceny.

Quote Originally Posted by maat View Post
    This happened to me years ago, but the perp was only about 10 years old. I instructed him to get out of the car and he informed me that his "homeboy" had told him to get this money in the dash.

I told him his homeboy did not own the car and if he had any questions he could take them up with me personally.

This got me wondering, what if I were to come out my mine or one of my employees cars while an adult was in the progress of burglarizing it.

Our vehicles are in a small private parking area on the side of the building. What if you were to approach your vehicle while an adult was burglarizing it, would you pull your weapon in case or wait to see if he attacks you?
    One more step and it's on!

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Leaving out this scenario involving a 10 year old, in SC, if this burglary is AT NIGHT, you can point your firearm, tell him this is a citizen's arrest and if he decides to run away, you can shoot him. If you are in the car and someone attempts entry it is Castle Doctrine time and you can shoot him. Daytime and a 10 year old? What in the world is going on these days?
    I'd check that law a bit closer. As dripster noted, stealing from a car is not burglary. Even if my state had such a law, I'm certainly not attempting a citizen's (or mall ninja's) arrest, then shooting someone in the back while he's trying to run away. But that's just me.

As I've posted many times here, I do not feel it morally right to kill someone to protect property. I am NOT saying it's illegal in all cases and states, just that I won't do it unless my life or that of my family is being threatened.

Administrator
    I'm not dumb enough to leave anything in my car worth getting into a shooting over. Enough said.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm not dumb enough to leave anything in my car worth getting into a shooting over. Enough said.
    The same is true for me. But I may be quite a bit different from your average driver. I like to keep my car as clean as possible, both inside and out. When somebody sits down in my car, it will have absolutely nothing visible that did not actually come from the factory as part of the car. True, if you open the glove box there will be a few things in there, such as an insurance card, etc. Of course, I'm currently putting together my "survival kit" but that will go in the hidden area of the hatch and nobody will be able to see it without opening the hatchback.

However, if I actually saw somebody breaking into my car, I can't honestly say how I would react. It might depend on what they were doing. My car is one of my most prized possessions and I would feel very violated and pissed off if somebody had damaged it to break in. In fact, it is my only prized possession. I'd rather somebody break into my home and steal stuff than to damage my car. There is nothing inside my house that means all that much to me personally. But I had to sign up on a waiting list for 14 months to get that car. I worked many extra hours during that 14 months to save enough money to buy that car. Logically, I should do as others have said and not confront them. But I suspect I probably would. I'd probably confront them with gun drawn and pointed right at their head. I'd be shouting at them to get down on the ground and I'd make them wait there for the police. If there was even the slightest sign of a weapon or an attempt to attack me, they'd get shot. I'd be well within the rights of the law, in doing so.

Am I being unreasonable? Probably. If it were any of my previous cars, I probably wouldn't take it so personally. I didn't really care that much about my previous cars, they were just tools to get me to work and back.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I'm not about to allow somebody to break into my car while I'm watching, without going out and asking "Hey what's going on here?"

What happens after that is determined by dirtbag.
    Bill MO and thephanatik like this.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Mad: Just stating one of the facts of law in crazy SC that probably is a holdover from who the heck knows when. Clear as the driven snow. "A citizen may arrest a person in the nighttime by efficient means as the darkness and the probability of escape render necessary, even if the life of the person should be taken, when the person: ahs committed a felony, has entered a dwelling house w/o express or implied permission, has broken or is breaking into an outhouse (tells you something about the age of the law) with a view to plunder, has in his possession stolen property, or is being under circumstances which raise just suspicion of his design to steal or to commit some felony, flees when he is hailed"
    Title 17/ Chapter 13/ Section 17-13-20.

If I was approaching the vehicle (yards away) and saw someone leaning into my car (I never have windows down), my first reaction would be to verbally question their intent with a commanding voice as I quickened my pace. I know this could escalate the situation, but it would be difficult to see that situation take place with my vehicle and stop, take pictures, notes, directions, etc. Granted that would probably be the best thing to do, but it also sounds like a next morning realization. Hopefully the yelling would startle him and he would flee thereby minimizing the damage done to my car that he would never pay for. Just watching the car get vandalized (costly repairs) so that he could go to jail (the good part) means I still have to spend lots $$$ to get repairs to the dash, seats, etc. done (bad part). If he doesn't flee, I feel pretty confident that I can handle him in a hand to hand scenario where a gun solution would not be appropriate unless he responded with a bigger weapon than a 5 finger sandwich. I am convinced that there is a middle place for SD from loud verbal commands to lethal force. The gun is not always the answer and should not always be the “go-to” answer. An ass-beatin’ falls in that category and still has its place where a loud-mouthed punk is too scared and untrained to carry a threat at that level. Just my $.02.
    Bill MO likes this.
    Carry: Sig P238
    Home: Stoeger Couger 8000F 9mm

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey Mad: Just stating one of the facts of law in crazy SC that probably is a holdover from who the heck knows when. Clear as the driven snow. "A citizen may arrest a person in the nighttime by efficient means as the darkness and the probability of escape render necessary, even if the life of the person should be taken, when the person: ahs committed a felony, has entered a dwelling house w/o express or implied permission, has broken or is breaking into an outhouse (tells you something about the age of the law) with a view to plunder, has in his possession stolen property, or is being under circumstances which raise just suspicion of his design to steal or to commit some felony, flees when he is hailed"
    Title 17/ Chapter 13/ Section 17-13-20.
    I believe this became SC law in the 1890's and last amended in 1995.

Would hang back and be a good witness, except if I have reason to believe there is an innocent in the car and they are in danger.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    ...As I've posted many times here, I do not feel it morally right to kill someone to protect property. I am NOT saying it's illegal in all cases and states, just that I won't do it unless my life or that of my family is being threatened.
    I agree, killing over property is wrong. If someone breaks in, they can have anything they want with one exception. I wouldn't let someone steal one of my firearms. In my mind if you provide a criminal a weapon you are an accessory to any crime he commits with those weapons. Not legally, but morally.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    If someone breaks in, they can have anything they want with one exception. I wouldn't let someone steal one of my firearms. In my mind if you provide a criminal a weapon you are an accessory to any crime he commits with those weapons. Not legally, but morally.
    Hey everyone! We're having a party at BRTCP88's house tonight! Take whatever you want (except firearms), he won't shoot us!
    Fisher10 and Buckj like this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links