Run this senario to all those anti-gun critics.........

This is a discussion on Run this senario to all those anti-gun critics......... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; - Many banks are moving to drive-up only ATM's. I don't hesitate to use them, I just tend to get the lay of the land ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Run this senario to all those anti-gun critics.........

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Many banks are moving to drive-up only ATM's.

I don't hesitate to use them, I just tend to get the lay of the land as I drive up (day or night), will always leave several car lengths between mine & any car in front of me, & keep the engine running with the autotranny in neutral in case I gotta bug out quickly. Oh, & I keep my head moving throughout the process.

Seeing the video in question, it appears that the vic must not have been paying attention for this guy to sneak up on him like that.
    Bark'n likes this.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

2. Remove Ads

I don't have a problem with ATM's. Always perform some counter-surveillance and be prepared. There have been plenty of ATM's I have avoided because I didn't like the layout of the area or people were loitering in the area.

I generally avoid walk-up ATM's. I haven't used one of those in years. I scan the area, I drive up close to the machine where people can't slip in between me and the machine, I leave my car in drive and I always clear my cover garment or draw my gun and shove it between the seats before approaching it. If I have a passenger with me, I always make sure they are providing over-watch of the area. And again, there have been many ATM's I've avoided because I didn't like the feel of things.

I also don't use ATM's which charge a fee unless I'm out of state. My bank has several hundred ATM's in the state which does not involve any fee's.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I don't see there is much the driver could have done in this situation...too risky.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I have a few reasons why I don't put the car in park when using an ATM; this is one of them.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    I don't see there is much the driver could have done in this situation...too risky.
    If you're not prepared for something to happen, then you are correct, there probably isn't much the driver can do in that situation. If you use an ATM like it's just a routine task you perform hundreds of times, and something happens fast, you are not going to be able to respond. Some guy comes rushing up and scoots across the hood of your car, and most people are going to be stunned and confused wondering "what the hell is going on?" Well, good luck.

If however, you are prepared for a robbery attempt, then it certainly is possible to respond to that situation. When I pull into an ATM, in the forefront of my mind is "I'm conducting a money transaction out in the open, and anyone who approaches me may be intending to rob me!" If I'm sitting at an ATM and some nutjob comes running up and scoots across the hood of my car, he's being met with my gun in his face. I'll draw first and then assess what's going on. If at anytime I see a gun, I'm shooting! Whether I start shooting through my windshield or through the rolled down side window depends on how far he gets when my gun comes up for a flash sight picture.

Either way, I'm not sitting there twiddling my thumbs trying to figure out why this person is climbing on the hood of my car for 1-5 seconds because before I even pulled in to the ATM, I already put my frame of mind into the proper perspective. When I'm at the ATM, I'm ready for anything. A lone robber, multiple robbers, attempting to be blocked in by another vehicle, someone sneaking up behind me, whatever.
    Buckj, JDE101, noway2 and 1 others like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by TangoMonkey View Post
    Oh this one is too easy. I don't even need my gun. I would just ease on the gas and steer left and give him a nasty scrape along the wall.
    Yep , no joke. I only use an ATM once a month, but my gun is sitting in my lap next to my shooting hand while I"m stopped. In this case, I wouldn't even need the gun, I'ld just be hitting the gas..... then the brakes.....
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

For some reason the URL did not work for me but may be my ISP...my bank does not charge for ATM & the bank lobby closes at 3:30pm so if you want money after that you have to use the ATM...i have to work so banking hours can be a pain and thus the ATM the only alternative....but i am armed & watching my surroundings while at the ATM....but not much stress for me since i bank in a fairly small town ...thank you Lord !!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    I just cannot understand why anyone has to use an ATM night or daylight. Sorry but it is another excuse for people not to get off their fat yada yadas and go into the bank. At night it is dangerous--heck in the daylight it is dangerous and YOU PAY A FEE TO GET YOUR MONEY--ARE YOU CRAZY? You are exposed badly and don't you think with all the ATM robberies out there that this obvious thought is not lost on the BGs? Situational awareness should always be number 1 and number one on that list is you do not put yourself in an obvious/possible dangerous position. Hey to each his own--have at it and when you have a problem you only have yourself to blame---it would never have happened--you went to the ATM machine before the BG.
    Not too sure about banking in SC, but where I come from, banks have not charged to use an ATM (their own at least) for decades. My bank does not charge me for using any ATM, if there is a fee, they eat it. If you are really paying ATM fees, you should consider other banking alternatives - JMHO.

I personally feel less at risk at a drive-up ATM than walking from the bank through the car park to my truck. I have my weapon on the console, the doors locked and get as close to the ATM as I can so there is no room to walk there, at least in any hurry. I keep my eyes on the open spaces and the mirrors.

In the case of the OP's link, gas, brake, gas should solve the problem if you hit the gas with the perp on the hood. He is armed, facing you and a few feet away, you clearly are concerned for your safety and used the best weapon you had to end the attack and put distance & cover between you and the attacker.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

eb
    I haven't paid an ATM fee in at least 15 years. I go into the bank once for every 50x I use the ATM. I simply pull in close, keep the car in drive, and watch my surroundings carefully... Always ready to pull that gun. I live in an upscale mountain community so risk is low, but my protocol is always the same no matter which machine I use.

I just cannot understand why anyone has to use an ATM night or daylight. Sorry but it is another excuse for people not to get off their fat yada yadas and go into the bank.
    You don't have kids, do you?? Have you tried managing a toddler or two (especially if they are sleeping)? ...while going into a bank?
    At night it is dangerous--heck in the daylight it is dangerous and YOU PAY A FEE TO GET YOUR MONEY--ARE YOU CRAZY?
    Sometimes, that's the only option, and my bank doesn't charge a fee.
    You are exposed badly and don't you think with all the ATM robberies out there that this obvious thought is not lost on the BGs? Situational awareness should always be number 1 and number one on that list is you do not put yourself in an obvious/possible dangerous position.
    Agreed...however, how do you ever leave the house if there is a BG behind every ATM, store, tree, or bush?
    Hey to each his own--have at it and when you have a problem you only have yourself to blame---it would never have happened--you went to the ATM machine before the BG.
    Wow...how is the weather up on your pedastal?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    The advice by Bark'n in post #20 is most excellent. It has forever changed the frame of mind I will use at a drive up ATM.

For those who advise just driving off, consider that your card is still in the ATM, so the robber will be able to withdraw cash and have your card to use. Not exactly avoiding a robbery.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redbeardsong View Post
    For those who advise just driving off, consider that your card is still in the ATM, so the robber will be able to withdraw cash and have your card to use. Not exactly avoiding a robbery.
    What is more valuable to you - your money or your life?
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links