Yet even more gas pump robberies

This is a discussion on Yet even more gas pump robberies within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Two this week around the metro Orlando . It seemes that this is a nation wide problem seen other posts on it . I will ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Yet even more gas pump robberies

Two this week around the metro Orlando .

It seemes that this is a nation wide problem seen other posts on it .

I will admitt that I really never gave it a thought until seeing on this board .

In the one on the orlando news was passanger in car was the one that came out and tried to do the deed .

No shotting or harm to the vic.

My eyes wide open at pump now I usally get gas at same station during daylight .

But it looks like these fools do it day and night .

It looks like its going to be its all fun and games for these fools till they get a mag or wheel empty on them

The gas station I frequent is usually pretty damn busy and thankfully I usually am part of a convoy when going to get gas (wife and daughter bring cars and we have a gas pump family adventure). I pump the gas and I'm armed, but I need to crank up the ol' SA. People are getting more and more desperate and brave.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Late night stops at the old "Gas & Go" are as unsafe as that midnight ATM run. Seldom necessary except for poor planning.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I try to gas up in the morning around 6-8am. Seems most dirtbags are sleeping off their drug/alchohol highs around that time.

If I have to gas up in the early AM I try to go to the big gas station near my workplace. I work 3rd shift so the place usually has quite a few people with a large number getting off at the same time and about 90% of the time there is an officer or two that is either just coming off shift or just starting for the day.

hold the gas pump nozzle in the left hand, and the right hand in the front pants pocket firmly planted on my Keltec PF-9....while doing a 360 scan of the entire station. Been doing that since
    the prices went to $4/gal back in 2008. Had too many close encounters at the pump no matter the time of day. Thugs and vagrants have no time clock.

Be aware and armed always.....and never drop your guard because you are in a "busy" gas station. The Thugs can easily blend in with all the activity.
    joker1 and Old School like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Late night stops at the old "Gas & Go" are as unsafe as that midnight ATM run. Seldom necessary except for poor planning.
    You must live a comfortable life.

There are some of us who do a lot of traveling at night for various reasons.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcurmudgeo View Post
    You must live a comfortable life.

There are some of us who do a lot of traveling at night for various reasons.
    I don't know about that. I work rotating shift around the clock, yet I've learned to check the gas gage and the wallet and figure out ahead of time that I need to make a stop--not when the empty light comes on. For the life of me, I can't understand having to get gas or money at 1:0 am, except for poor planning.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I'm a total night owl on the weekends....and if I wanna go to iHop at 3am, I just carry another gun. If I wanna get gas at 2am, I'm getting gas at 2am. I got a concealed carry license so I did not have to cower in my home after dark just because the boogie man comes out after midnight. Naturally, you have to be even more aware of your surroundings late at night, but unless you are totally asleep at the switch, you should have no issues.

Just got back from a 1,000 round trip drive up to Atlanta. Left Sunday night at 8pm and got back into Orlando at 4am Monday morning. Getting gas in an area that you are not familiar at 3am is a little dicey, but Georgia is reciprocal with my Florida CCW.

Have Glock....Will Travel.
    CyanLite likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Yup, Orlando is getting to be "Hood" city. Always Carry,Never Tell.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    hold the gas pump nozzle in the left hand, and the right hand in the front pants pocket firmly planted on my Keltec PF-9....while doing a 360 scan of the entire station. Been doing that since
    Yep - That is exactly what I used to do (back when I used to buy gas) I would even take a second between swiping my card and typing my pin number to do a 360 degree check to make sure nobody was trying to approach me while I was busy trying to pay for the gas. Then use my left hand on the gas pump so my right hand was free. I do the same thing when carrying a bag of groceries, etc. I try to keep my right arm free. Also if I saw somebody walk nearby or drive next to me and I felt unsafe, I would wait to grab the gas pump handle from the pump until they were out of my safety circle.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I try to gas up in the morning around 6-8am. Seems most dirtbags are sleeping off their drug/alchohol highs around that time.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Like Hank Hill said, "Cmon Peggy, we got to get to Dallas before all the gangs wake up!"

Had a couple hours to kill in Denver one time, about 5 am. Drove all over town, was kinda fun. Most of the folks up and around at 5 am on a very frosty morning are employed.

I get into work while it is still dark. I have a routine where I carry my coffee and lunch in my left hand and my key for the door in my right. My plan if necessary is to drop my keys if approached for distraction and grab my gun.

It has indeed been an eye opener for sure .

I will need to work on this being weak in past keeping eye out at pump.

It will be easier when getting gas with the Car.

The one I will have to be more of a watch out for is getting gas in my bike while trying not to spill on bike and watching for

two legged trash at same time

While it's impossible for me to CCW while at work, I do keep a 9mm in the work truck. Even that act is against company rules, but I'm all for #1 in this gig. I do have to buy gas sometimes in bad neighborhoods and my SA is pretty keen. I have been approached by panhandlers to give them a few $'s of gas. I have decided to have the action plan of simply spraying the BG down with the obvious weapon...the gas nozzel. Granted it could quickly get messy, but if the BG is armed he might think twice before lighting himself off. And, the shock of being sprayed down with gas can give me the time for a quick exit to safety.
    db
    Kimber PCII .45
    Springfield XD9mm SC
    Kel-Tech P-11 9mm
    AR-15

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links