Riding as a Passenger and the Driver Pulls Over to Stop a Fight

This is a discussion on Riding as a Passenger and the Driver Pulls Over to Stop a Fight within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those posting religious references, remember Forum Rule #9: 9. We have learned from bitter experience that discussions of certain subjects (politics, religion, abortion, sexual ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Riding as a Passenger and the Driver Pulls Over to Stop a Fight

VIP Member
    For those posting religious references, remember Forum Rule #9:

9. We have learned from bitter experience that discussions of certain subjects (politics, religion, abortion, sexual orientation, etc) often degenerate quickly. For this reason, we DO NOT allow the discussion of these topics. We discourage "caliber war" threads and strongly encourage you not to post a thread starting one. Regardless of your level of experience, caliber is a personal preference and what is right for you may not be right for others.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

In this situation the way I respond would be dependent on the severity of the assault.

If I believed that the driver of the blue truck was in danger of losing their life I would act as fast as possible.

In the event that my relative did get out of the vehicle to yell at people engaged in a simple assault what I would do is first advise my relative to stop yelling, I would then call the police and give them a description of the one who was initiating the assault, a description of their vehicle, and the license plates of both vehicles. I would then sit by until the police came to ensure the driver of the blue truck isn't in danger of losing their life.

Once the police arrive I would inform them which way the blue truck went.

I feel as if the best way to be a good citizen is to do what any security guard does and observe and report.

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    fox2102, I'm a bit confused as to whether you actually pointed in on the 'truck guy' with your gun, showed him that you had one, or drew it but kept it out of his sight in case he got a gun out of the truck. Could you clarify that point?
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by CR Williams View Post
    fox2102, I'm a bit confused as to whether you actually pointed in on the 'truck guy' with your gun, showed him that you had one, or drew it but kept it out of his sight in case he got a gun out of the truck. Could you clarify that point?
    i exited the truck, saw him going to open his truck, and the i drew on him and told him to get on the ground. The girl that was also there said no its ok. I realized he was just going to leave so i reholstered. Gun was probably out for about 5 to 10 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by fox2102 View Post
    i exited the truck, saw him going to open his truck, and the i drew on him and told him to get on the ground. The girl that was also there said no its ok. I realized he was just going to leave so i reholstered. Gun was probably out for about 5 to 10 seconds
    Another question i have was, ok he was aggravated, but how did he approach his truck? If it was fast and aggressively, i would have waited a half second to see his next move. Would he get in said truck? If so, chances of getting a weapon are slim. If he doesnt get in but reaches in said truck, i do believe you made a good call. Cause that is how i see LEO's react.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

I'd demand driver of our vehicle back off, call 911 instead of getting my family members possibly shot! If he insisted on playing hero, we'd have our own confrontation among ourselves.Safety of my own comes first period.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    I'd demand driver of our vehicle back off, call 911 instead of getting my family members possibly shot! If he insisted on playing hero, we'd have our own confrontation among ourselves.Safety of my own comes first period.
    I completely agree, i think he gets that fact. However given the situation that he was in, i think that the keep driving thing was outta the question. So, in the perdiciment he was in, how could have things went better? He might have brandished his firearm even though, he might have feared for his life and possibly his fathers. Hes just looking for tips.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

jerp,
    OK, in that case have wife drive vehicle with my child to a safe standoff distance and advise her to be a good witness call 911. I would keep distance and attempt to keep dumb relatives to do same. Try to de-escalate situation at all costs. Watch hands and body language on aggressor intently. Any assault on dumb relatives involving deadly force would then require instant neutralization of aggressor. No presentation of weapon without cause imho. If your dragged into a fray, gotta think weapons retention. This scenario sux!After all is said and done, driver of my vehicle(dumb relative #1) is gonna get beetch slapped and debriefed with my best imitation drill instructor attitude adjustment speech! Then we're gonna leave them there to walk home!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fox2102 View Post
    The girl that was also there said no its ok. I realized he was just going to leave so i reholstered.
    You were there and know how you "realized" he was going to leave, though I'm not sure how all you "realized". Anyway, I think that you did very well in establishing authority and expressing your willingness to fight and to use force. That's important. Good that it all worked out in spite of rambunctious and "might be a redneck" relatives.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    jerp,
    OK, in that case have wife drive vehicle with my child to a safe standoff distance and advise her to be a good witness call 911. I would keep distance and attempt to keep dumb relatives to do same. Try to de-escalate situation at all costs. Watch hands and body language on aggressor intently. Any assault on dumb relatives involving deadly force would then require instant neutralization of aggressor. No presentation of weapon without cause imho. If your dragged into a fray, gotta think weapons retention. This scenario sux!After all is said and done, driver of my vehicle(dumb relative #1) is gonna get beetch slapped and debriefed with my best imitation drill instructor attitude adjustment speech! Then we're gonna leave them there to walk home!
    Ok but if you read the story you would know that his father was the one driving, and stopped and tried to break up the fight. And didnt listen to the OP about staying in the car. The OP got out because of his father, to protect him. That was the scenario that he was in...... just saying.... but i do agree with you 100%

Believe me I would have much rather have just drove past and called the police and had them deal with it. However before I had time to say anything my mother stopped and my dad was out of the truck. I went on instinct from there on.
    jerp likes this.

heres where there needs to be a balance between good samaritan and smart armed citizen. not dipping into what could have been avoided and going off reacting to the given situation, i would get my family safely back into the vehicle and take the license plate down, while maintaining situational awareness. having my wife call johnny law and going to a safer distance to wait for them to arrive. if at any point the "victim" in the one truck or my family become at risk, i then draw and handle the situation accordingly. i guess its my military background but ive had it beaten into my skull not to draw unless i intend on pulling the trigger. just my take on it... but if you handled it and didn't fire and everyone went home safe than thats the only thing that matters.
    jerp likes this.
    Semper Fi

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links