Your friends course of action? - Page 5

Your friends course of action?

This is a discussion on Your friends course of action? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tacman605 For those that said basically it is all fantasy unless you have done it you are correct, but it is better ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Your friends course of action?

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    For those that said basically it is all fantasy unless you have done it you are correct, but it is better to fantasize about it now and try to work a solution than to wait until the time comes and try to figure it all out from scratch at that time. It is called preparation. But you do what you want but going by what you stated there is no reason to fire my weapon before having to use it in a real life situation because it is all fantasy up to that point anyway. Yeah ok.
    I think maybe you are missing the point. The point is not to avoid training and not fire your weapon until a real life situation arises. I was saying that in a situation like that or any other of the "scenarios" here the last thing that you will be thinking about is what you read in this forum. Giving a step by step rendition of how one would handle a certain scenario IMO is counter productive at best. I would rather work on a few fundamentals and make sure that they are rock solid then fantasize about a million different what-ifs.
    NYCrulesU likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by micahsrad View Post
    I think maybe you are missing the point. The point is not to avoid training and not fire your weapon until a real life situation arises. I was saying that in a situation like that or any other of the "scenarios" here the last thing that you will be thinking about is what you read in this forum. Giving a step by step rendition of how one would handle a certain scenario IMO is counter productive at best. I would rather work on a few fundamentals and make sure that they are rock solid then fantasize about a million different what-ifs.
    All training, beyond the fundamentals, is based either on what ifs, or "this happened, what would you do..?" Shoot houses may or may not be set up to reflect actual historical events, but are a tool to train for worst case scenarios, as well as situations similar to what has actually happened.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Ok I don’t get it, I was asked what would you do with said scenario, I answered stating I would approach as to not startle the BG and get the shaking friend to lower his gun, then try to get into position to where I had a shot. At same time attempt to convince him to leave without harming anyone, and if it came to it take him out.

The part of shooting cards was on a bet, I shoot IDPA a lot, when I first got the gun (my first pistol) I put 8,000 rounds through it in a little less than 6 months. I got it after my state went shall carry in 01, practiced drawing around 100 - 200 times a day in the house, waiting for the permit. Before that I did a lot of 600 yard stuff.

In my neck of the woods the wolves are quite dangerous. I have lost several friends to street violence and one family member, I refuse to allow myself to stand by and wait for someone to come and help me out of whatever it is I am in the middle of.

Not trying to brag but I have been in a number of life threatening situations I have taken two guns away from people meaning me harm, been beaten with ball bats, rocks, had chunks of concrete, asphalt thrown at me hit with gulf clubs, stabbed, well you get the idea.

I am in no way a hot dog, my times are a bit slower than some of the top shooters, but I don’t shoot to compete, I do it because I like it and to keep in practice, as it is a perishable skill. The things I focus on most is getting the gun on target from the holster/retention and the next few targets and proper use of cover. And I shoot with some of the state’s best.

Sometimes I see posts that seem more in line with people like the ones in the hatchet job put on by ABC, where they have a class of students armed with air soft guns and a swat trainer/instructor and he says something to the effect that, any one that thinks he or she can defend against such an attack is in dream land.

I think I will let this be the last one on this, so if you feel more comfortable waiting for a government sponsored response team, feel free, be it for legal or because you don’t feel you have the skills to be effective, but please don’t expect others to come down to your skill level, leave the manure spreader on the farm and go to the range, get to where you know you can be effective.

Someone mentioned drawing on and shooting BG covered by non threat, not something I would want to do, but if I felt I had to, the way to get done is not to look at anything but where you want bullet to go, or it will quite likely go bad.

Just a note very few swat guns go bang on scene, when they show it is an over powering force and bad guys know that if you shoot it out with them, you either die or go to jail and there is no bail and the sentence will be long.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Tell everyone to "Be cool" with your best Samuel Jackson imitation.
    Hey! That's what I was gonna say lol
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    All training, beyond the fundamentals, is based either on what ifs, or "this happened, what would you do..?" Shoot houses may or may not be set up to reflect actual historical events, but are a tool to train for worst case scenarios, as well as situations similar to what has actually happened.
    I totally agree. But while a shoot house is a great training tool for a whole hosts of reasons it is a different animal then a DC scenario discussion on a specific situation. An example of what I am talking about would be that training my draw from the seated position is probably a really good use of my time. It can be applied to the car, restaurant, home, etc. A scenario like this one or many others in this forum is only based on that specific event or circumstance. This is why I feel that it is counter productive to think so in-depth on these scenarios and add huge posts with your answer to the hypothetical problem that will only be solved by how well you have ingrained the fundamentals not how well you posted a reply in DC. I do not mean to disrespect anybody here. It really motivates me to see so many dedicated people in one place.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sponsored Links