Aren't Metal Detectors quite presumptuous?

This is a discussion on Aren't Metal Detectors quite presumptuous? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So we visited NASA this weekend as I had mentioned we were going to do in another thread. We left our guns in the car ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Aren't Metal Detectors quite presumptuous?

Aren't Metal Detectors quite presumptuous?

So we visited NASA this weekend as I had mentioned we were going to do in another thread. We left our guns in the car since we assumed it being a federal facility it was probably not allowed. However, I looked very closely upon entering the museum entrance and there were no signs I could see anywhere. We went about and looked at some of the exhibits then we got in line to get on the tram which actually takes you through the official NASA facility where you can see mission control and some of the training facilities. THe line was waiting to go through a metal detector. Now, obviously to anyone with half-a-brain, the purpose of the detector is to look for weapons.

However, there was still no sign around saying that guns or weapons were not allowed. So I can't help but wonder what would happen if I tried to take a gun through there, or better yet, just take it out and put it in the bucket with my keys. I mean, obviously they wouldn't let me through, but could they really charge me with a crime? After all I could say "Sorry, I didn't know.. there was no sign, I wasn't sure what you were looking for in the metal detector." For example, a former employer I used to work for used the detector for employees exiting the building to check for stolen equipment.

So as I was going through the detector I noticed the guards were wearing Glock 17's. I asked one of them, "So why do you get to carry your gun, but I can't have mine?" He looked at me very puzzled and said "Because it is MY job to protect everyone here, not yours." I could tell he was annoyed, and the line was moving. I just smiled and went along. But I really wanted to reply, "So, are you going to follow me around and protect me after I leave this zone?"
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Under federal law, 18 United States Code Section 930, it is illegal to have a firearm in a building or part of a building owned or leased by the federal government where federal employees are regularly present for performing their duties. Of course, as a responsible, well-informed, law-abiding concealed weapon permit holder, you already knew that.

Just remember, "ignorance of the law is no excuse!" Best stay away from anything involved with Federal Authorities.
    Guest1 and mkh like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

You have been carrying how long? And still want to try the "ignorance of the law" bit. Come on man.......
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    You have been carrying how long? And still want to try the "ignorance of the law" bit. Come on man.......
    I just said I "wonder what would happen." I didn't say I was going to do it.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    ..... just like using .22 as defensive ammo or carrying on an empty chamber, some things are great in theory but, you just do not want to test in the real world.
    21bubba, azchevy and claude clay like this.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I just said I "wonder what would happen." I didn't say I was going to do it.
    I find it hard to believe that you do not understand the severity of what you were WONDERING...This isnt personal, its more common sense. Please use some...
    Inspector71 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

If you are talking about the cape in Fl the sign is on the access road as you drive up, no weapons period, and that includes your pocket knife, and ocs.
    My nephew who works for the FBI can carry on an plane but not there, when he attempted to carry they made him put it in his car and he had to put his car in a secured lot.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Ex Member
    I wouldn't push it.

JD
    Administrator
    This would be so much better if it were multiple choice:

A: high fives all around
    B: cupcakes and tea
    C: federal charges, loss of carry permit, possible jail time.
    D: all of the above, but no cup cakes for you.

Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.

I think everyone is being a little hard on you. I personally enjoyed the humorous idea, and I also gathered that you were not actually considering doing this. Though I'm not sure I personally would have advertised to the guard on duty that I am usually carrying. Since 1) it isn't like he is would or could change the law on civvy's carrying in a fed building, and 2) I wouldn't want to be pegged as a POI while taking a tour.

But to each his, own. I personally enjoyed your story and the humorous thought of someone doing that, that isn't me.
    claude clay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shughes View Post
    But to each his, own. I personally enjoyed your story and the humorous thought of someone doing that, that isn't me.
    Thank you.. I should have realized by now that people on this forum have little sense of humor. They take everything way too seriously. I was expecting replies like:

"That would be funny!"

or

"Why don't you try it and let us know!"

or

"Yeah, I knew this one guy who did that, and here's what happened to him....."

or

"Maybe they'd get a sign and post it after that.."

etc... But no.. Instead I get my intelligence insulted. But I'm quite used to that around here, so life goes on.

JD
    Administrator
    Adric,

Maybe you're just not that funny.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shughes View Post
    only your 8th post and already i like you

let us add to ' things than should never have to be said out loud but now have to':

don't go with stupid people to stupid places and do stupid things

don't tease Federal Employees by asking inane questions you already know the answer to.
    Sfire likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links