Unarmed Home Invasion

This is a discussion on Unarmed Home Invasion within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 21bubba Some will go to their graves wondering "what if". It's My house, He has invaded (o.p. words). You want me to ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Unarmed Home Invasion

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Some will go to their graves wondering "what if". It's My house, He has invaded (o.p. words). You want me to offer him some tea?
    Nope, no need to offer him tea.

But what do the KY statues say as far as use of deadly force within the home? In Ohio, you must have a reasonable fear of being in imminent danger of grievous bodily harm or death. If the person is not making any threats towards me, how do I feel in imminent fear of my life?

He can sit on my couch and eat cheeto's until the cops show up for all I care. The phone will be on speaker, and I will be armed. If he becomes threatening, I would defend myself with an appropriate level of force. But I don't want to have to clean the blood and brain matter out of my carpet, and go through to psychological process of having shot someone, if I don't have to.
    baren likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    It will depend on all of the little details of the situation.

Last year we had a local judge decide it was best to put one COM on his unarmed intruder (btw, it was a .380 that killed the perp deader than a doornail).
    Judge shoots intruder who broke in through window | The Augusta Chronicle

I would exercise discretion, but I will error on the side of my family's safety, not the intruder's.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Nope, no need to offer him tea.

But what do the KY statues say as far as use of deadly force within the home? In Ohio, you must have a reasonable fear of being in imminent danger of grievous bodily harm or death. If the person is not making any threats towards me, how do I feel in imminent fear of my life?

He can sit on my couch and eat cheeto's until the cops show up for all I care. The phone will be on speaker, and I will be armed. If he becomes threatening, I would defend myself with an appropriate level of force. But I don't want to have to clean the blood and brain matter out of my carpet, and go through to psychological process of having shot someone, if I don't have to.
    Is the invasion of your home not enough of a threat to satisfy you? Your portrayal of this person as "poor uncle charlie the dementia sufferer" is a long strech and you know it.

If he breaks into my house he has a couple of problems to deal with before he has to deal with me. Problem #1 85 # shepard/husky mix, problem #2 70#shepard/dobi mix. Most people (even those intent on commiting a crime) do not want to take on two dogs at one time. If he engages my dogs and does not back down, his carcass is going down, period.The wife and her kid are the first priority, any other concerns are secondary.

Administrator
    Is the invasion of your home not enough of a threat to satisfy you? Your portrayal of this person as "poor uncle charlie the dementia sufferer" is a long strech and you know it.
    I bet the dementia patient scenario happens more often than the crazed unarmed murderer scenario. Actually, that would be an unfair bet. I know its happens far more often.
    bds9009 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Notice the situation is 'someone has broken into your home'. Do dementia patients kick in doors and pry open locked windows? Maybe it is just a couple of guys looking around,decided to break in a house and look in the fridge? IMO,an intruder that means no harm,other than theft,would not break into an occupied home.
    Sledge likes this.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    Notice the situation is 'someone has broken into your home'. Do dementia patients kick in doors and pry open locked windows? Maybe it is just a couple of guys looking around,decided to break in a house and look in the fridge? IMO,an intruder that means no harm,other than theft,would not break into an occupied home.
    Have you ever forgotten to lock your door? How the the kids? Have they ever left the front door open?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Have you ever forgotten to lock your door? How the the kids? Have they ever left the front door open?
    The question posted by the OP was, 'someone has broken into your home'

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    The question posted by the OP was, 'someone has broken into your home'
    Well, there is the legal definition and the literal definition. By legal definition, one does not have the break anything to have "broken in". Walked through an unlock door, crawled through a window or cut a hole in the wall with a sawzall, it doesn't matter.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I bet the dementia patient scenario happens more often than the crazed unarmed murderer scenario. Actually, that would be an unfair bet. I know its happens far more often.
    Knowing I may invoke your wrath I say. Prove it.

Administrator
    Knowing I may invoke your wrath I say. Prove it.

Ummm ahhhh.... I know you are but what am I?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Ummm ahhhh.... I know you are but what am I?
    Simple. Prove your point from your post #20

Administrator
    OK, but only if you prove yours from 18.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've tried to think this one through many times. I have to say that my children and wife are primary focus and if someone has broken in and is confronted by me and shows no intention of leaving or responding we will either have a stalemate until police arrive or if there is any movement toward my self or the direction of my children and wife other than trying to go out the way they came I would make sure Im stopping him from having any chance to harm my family.In my home anywhere they break in aside from directly into my room or the childrens rooms they will have to come in at the middle point of the home I will not give them an oppurtunity to move towards my children or wife. Their only option is out the way they came in or be dealt with. There is no way even if unarmed I will allow someone to move towards my wife or children after breaking into my home.
    JerryMac likes this.

Well, there is the legal definition and the literal definition. By legal definition, one does not have the break anything to have "broken in". Walked through an unlock door, crawled through a window or cut a hole in the wall with a sawzall, it doesn't matter.
    I see trespass, and/or breaking a door or window in a different way. If I leave my door open and a person is standing inside,IMO,that is different. One thing I do know,in a court of law,small things are big things. For instance,I have a swimming pool.I keep my gates locked.If a person climbs over,and drowns in my pool,I have less liability than if I left the gate unlocked,and I got this from an attorney.This does not mean I cannot end up in court,just lessens my liability.IMO,wording does matter.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links