Unarmed Home Invasion - Page 5

Unarmed Home Invasion

This is a discussion on Unarmed Home Invasion within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Depends on their body language. Could be a case of someone with a mental defect who is lost and confused. Weapon at the ready I'd ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Unarmed Home Invasion

Depends on their body language. Could be a case of someone with a mental defect who is lost and confused. Weapon at the ready I'd call 911 or yell to my wife to do so. I'd just keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't hurt me, my family, and if I can help it themself.
    baren likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Someone has broken into your home. They are unarmed but won't leave or respond to you. You have Castle Doctrine in your state.

You are armed, how would you react with these grey areas of self defense (or defense of others). Assume you are in this situation and don't respond with what you would have done to avoid it.
    I'm obviously a bit late in replying to this scenario, however, now that I have read four pages of replies, my response is this: The OP states someone has broken into my home...At this point, since Castle Doctrine applies in my state, everything after "someone has broken into my home" is irrelevant! I'm not stopping to ask if they are here to apply for the gardner position that I advertised, I'm not about to assess their mental state, I'm not about to begin giving commands in hopes that they may or may not comply, in hopes that they may not be armed, etc. Someone has broken into my home, and they are a direct threat to myself and my family. My response is BANG BANG BANG, stop where you are, Honey call 911!!! The bottom line is STOP THE THREAT...JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I would be really scared, and my adrenaline would be going, by the time i had instructed him to leave, my S&W MP40 wouldve let off about 4 rounds.

1} There is only 1 intruder...THAT YOU KNOW OF!
    2} You can't know for sure they are unarmed
    3} Think Tueller Drill!
    4} Ask Dr Petit how he feels about home invaders!

I rode on patrol with a buddy who was a sheriff's dept deputy for 9 years in a mostly rural county; I've seen the results of am "unarmed" intruder a couple times!

I've got apple jacks in the pantry and i'll be damned if paranaoid schizo dementia old timer or whoever is trippin is gonna get a bowl. Just the fact that someone broke into my house is pretty scary enough to shoot first ask questions later, right frame of mind or not. If someone puts themselves in that situation they must know the consequences. Maybe they want you to shoot them....

Now if I still lived in Cali......maybe ask questions first, shoot second

Someone who looks unarmed could very well have a gun IWB and very well be able to draw as quick as Billy the Kid. I don't want to wait with 2 bullets in my liver to find out. Possibly one in the sack :/

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Knowing I may invoke your wrath I say. Prove it.
    I actually know two guys that I used to work with that did something like this.

One guy spent several minutes confused why his keys wouldn't unlock his front door. Finally he had enough and broke in his door and passed out in his chair. Turns out in his drunken state he confused a library with his house. He was really confused when he woke up in cuffs.

The other one walked into a unlocked house...went in the basement and passed out on the sofa. He thought he was in his house.

They both were drunk, stupid and broke in but neither one was a real threat.

You might be surprised at the number of people that walk away from nursing homes to "go home"
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    I actually know two guys that I used to work with that did something like this.

One guy spent several minutes confused why his keys wouldn't unlock his front door. Finally he had enough and broke in his door and passed out in his chair. Turns out in his drunken state he confused a library with his house. He was really confused when he woke up in cuffs.

The other one walked into a unlocked house...went in the basement and passed out on the sofa. He thought he was in his house.

They both were drunk, stupid and broke in but neither one was a real threat.

You might be surprised at the number of people that walk away from nursing homes to "go home"
    So according to your mindset while the tea is brewing I should try and determine if the intruder is as stupid as your two friends?

Let's all remember one thing. HE broke into MY house. Owning a firearm does not make me a LEO, it allows me to not be a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    So according to your mindset while the tea is brewing I should try and determine if the intruder is as stupid as your two friends?

Let's all remember one thing. HE broke into MY house. Owning a firearm does not make me a LEO, it allows me to not be a victim.
    No Sir, no tea brewing here and I wouldn't blame you if you did shoot them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Someone has broken into your home. They are unarmed but won't leave or respond to you.
    According to the OP the person isn't responding to you. I take that as they are passively ignoring you and your commands as if they can't hear you.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Yep.

Castle doctrine or not, he's in my house, but he ain't armed. If he stands his ground, I'll stand mine; and we'll just wait for LEO. If he moves towards me agressively, I'm armed and it's pointing at him... he's a dead idiot.
    I agree.

I am in no hurry to shoot and possibly kill someone, but I would go on the assumption that he is armed and his weapon is concealed.

In any event he has broken into my home and I will assume he is a threat. He may or may not make it out alive.

Jim

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Pro: I know you have defined the parameters of your thread but I must ask---how exactly do I know he is unarmed. Did I ask him? Did he tell me so? Did I search him? All good replies with some willing to "give a little" based on the "unarmed" definition but----yada yada yada.

This day and age, could be a set up? Their might just be a few other BG's waiting in another room or closet? The intruder might have a pocket pistol, he could be faking it all and if you let your guard down for a second "your had". Do you have time to check out the rest of the house, the yard, to see if there is anyone else around, no! You have to think fast and make a discision, call 911 and wait for the LEO's, if he moves, I shoot!
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

I will stand my ground, as the wife calls 911 / if he makes a threatining move towards either me, my wife or my children and the laser and the Glock do not seem to phase him, what comes out of the glock will, and when the police do show up, since all the little legal matters can get you in trouble, I will first announce myself as the homeowner, surrender my weapon to the police, and ask for a lawyer. I will not try to explain my actions to the police, as I am sure if I had to shoot someone, it would be a chilling and upsetting experience, and words can be taken and used against you in a court of law. Lawyer Up does not mean your guilty, it means just what it says, I want a lawyer and you cannot question me or my actions from that moment forth.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Yep.

Castle doctrine or not, he's in my house, but he ain't armed. If he stands his ground, I'll stand mine; and we'll just wait for LEO. If he moves towards me agressively, I'm armed and it's pointing at him... he's a dead idiot.
    ^^ That ^^
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Heck I don't know... I might just Hilary Clinton on him and chunk a big ashtray at his noggin... See if I can get his attention with that, if not, chunk another one. and another one... I don't think I'm gonna shoot him as long as I can practice my curve ball.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

There was a news story earlier where a man was shot under similar circumstances. He didn't respond to the homeowner. He was intoxicated and kept telling the police that it was his house. Apparently, when he couldn't get his keys to work at the house, he broke in and ended up getting shot for his efforts. Sometimes that stuff happens.

Here's a link to the story....Blind, drunk man shot entering wrong home - Houston Chronicle

I'm going to call 911. If he's not armed and not agressive, we'll just wait for the police to arrive and let them sort it out. Castle doctrine or not, I'd rather not shoot somebody just because they tied one on. In the above case, the drunk supposedly advanced on the homeowner.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links