Unarmed Home Invasion

This is a discussion on Unarmed Home Invasion within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Someone has broken into your home. They are unarmed but won't leave or respond to you. You have Castle Doctrine in your state. You are ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Unarmed Home Invasion

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Unarmed Home Invasion

Someone has broken into your home. They are unarmed but won't leave or respond to you. You have Castle Doctrine in your state.

You are armed, how would you react with these grey areas of self defense (or defense of others). Assume you are in this situation and don't respond with what you would have done to avoid it.

2. Remove Ads

They have not responded when clearly they should have.i would have to assume they are jacked up on some drug. Their fists are weapons and also i cannot just assume they are unarmed. They have broke in my life is in danger. I would shoot.

I agree with aworldexport.....if you don't respond to me I am going to assume your on something.....if your looking at a laser on your chest and astrobe light at 240 lumens and not responding.....you are definitely on something... bottom line its late my car is home and you break in what do you honestly expect to happen??
    JerryMac likes this.

Call 911, put it on speaker phone. Make sure the dispatcher gets pertinent info, like your address, and then repeatedly instruct the intruder to leave.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

If you come in my home you have a lot to deal with. GSD's, me, my weapon. If you don't respond, you are going to meet Admiral. If that doesn't work, you'll meet Smith and Wesson.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Call 911, put it on speaker phone. Make sure the dispatcher gets pertinent info, like your address, and then repeatedly instruct the intruder to leave.
    Yep.

Castle doctrine or not, he's in my house, but he ain't armed. If he stands his ground, I'll stand mine; and we'll just wait for LEO. If he moves towards me agressively, I'm armed and it's pointing at him... he's a dead idiot.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I cannot be 100% sure the perp is unarmed. I will take any movement except to comply with my orders to be a threat
    mook012 likes this.
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Let's see. He has invaded my house, he won't leave.... He's shot. Seems simple to me. But probably not to others.
    Sledge likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    My vote for best answer. And, fully agree. I just hope that I'm 'awake'/aware enough in that situation to act like that.

========
    The only other option is that the intruder is in fact a zombie who has suddenly forgotten what it is doing, and therefore needs a bullet to the brain before anyone else becomes infected.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Let's see. He has invaded my house, he won't leave.... He's shot. Seems simple to me. But probably not to others.
    I don't really want to shoot anyone I don't have to. Taking a life is about the most serious thing you can do, it will forever alter your life, and not all of that is in a positive way. If he isn't an active threat, I'm not going to shoot him.

What if it is an 85 year old dementia patient who thinks it is his home, and refuses to leave?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

If he isn't an active threat, I'm not going to shoot him.

What if it is an 85 year old dementia patient who thinks it is his home, and refuses to leave?
    - I never leave my doors unlocked, so if he's in my home, he had to break in.
    - If I've never seen him before, there is no way for me to know he's demented.
    - If he's making himself a sandwich, no problem. If he is simply "out of it" and refuses to leave, no problem, I can call for help and avoid any escalation. If he threatens me with deadly force or approaches me aggressively, he's in for a rough time.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    - I never leave my doors unlocked, so if he's in my home, he had to break in.
    - If I've never seen him before, there is no way for me to know he's demented.
    - If he's making himself a sandwich, no problem. If he is simply "out of it" and refuses to leave, no problem, I can call for help and avoid any escalation. If he threatens me with deadly force or approaches me aggressively, he's in for a rough time.
    I concur with that, and think that is reasonable. But there is a stark difference between your response, and then "He is in my home, so I am going to shoot him" responses.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I don't really want to shoot anyone I don't have to. Taking a life is about the most serious thing you can do, it will forever alter your life, and not all of that is in a positive way. If he isn't an active threat, I'm not going to shoot him.

Some will go to their graves wondering "what if". It's My house, He has invaded (o.p. words). You want me to offer him some tea?
    Sledge likes this.

Administrator
    One must still be rational in their decision to shoot or not. There have been plenty of cases of dementia or harmless drunks wandering into the wrong home, especially apartments.
    Unarmed or not, I do not care. Besides properly stowed firearms, there are plenty of other weapons readily at hand in all of our homes. Kitchen knives and the most glaring example. Take that how you want to.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Is this person showing any violent actions? If not I find it hard to believe that if someone is not responding and not currently a violent threat that deadly force is necessary even if the castle doctrine grants you the ability to use deadly force.

There are reasons that someone may be unresponsive to verbal commands, being deaf is one. Diabetics can exhibit strange behaviors when things go awry. There is a myriad of reasons for responses other than what we perceive as normal.

With no sign of a weapon after 911 is called we wait till either the cavalry arrives or the person requires a response prior to help arriving.

There are more levels of force other than none or deadly. Always have available the level of force necessary to address the threat.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links