Followed Home After Bar Altercation - Page 4

Followed Home After Bar Altercation

This is a discussion on Followed Home After Bar Altercation within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Saber Well, I guess you couldn't call for help as maybe you were S-Faced too? Depending on the area I would try ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Followed Home After Bar Altercation

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Well, I guess you couldn't call for help as maybe you were S-Faced too? Depending on the area I would try and ditch them without driving like a drunk guy with a gun. If it continued to escalate you may well have to take your chances and call the Calvary and just pray they don't arrest you in the process.

Personally, I gave up the bar scene decades ago, but rest assured I was a subject matter expert. I certainly don’t miss those class-5 headaches and hugging the toilet.
    No, I don't go to bars and I don't know where you read that I did anywhere in my post. I'm just one of the lazy bum 99% who got off my backside and took a better job that involved relocation just before the housing market went to hell and I got stuck making a 3 hour commute and living in a campground during the week for the next three years before I could find yet another job that let me return to the home I couldn't sell.

Calling 911 isn't the first thing that pops into your head in these situations. For that matter, I am also one of the few who doesn't drive around with a damn phone stuck in my ear and I don't like to use them while driving. Even if I had, had something happened, the response time would have been too little too late.

Assuming that somehow, three drunk guys were on my front lawn threatening me, I would get inside the house and call 911. Then you may have to deal with them smashing your car or trying to break in. If the opportunity arose to try and diffuse the situation, I would take it. If they break in, they get shot.

Get pictures of the guys, or other info that will help LEO identify and catch them.

I don't have any experience with drunks, so I don't really know if a sober person could take out 3 drunk guys without using a gun.

Maybe you could sneak around and remove the car keys so they can't get away. I don't know.

If you don't drink no worries IMHO

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    if you act in a manner such as to diminish your SA
    what you get may be more than you feel you deserve
    but its what you have to deal with.

so it is to a police station, fire station, hospital...wherever there is a lot of light and good witnesses.

--if you display, than 911 is next on your Must Do Now list
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    As EagleKS said, this kind of thing can just happen. I used to make a 3 hour trek between Richmond, VA and my home on Monday mornings and Friday nights. One Friday evening, while looking to make a McDonald's pit stop, I turned the wrong way after exiting the highway. Unfortunately, it put me on a dark, secluded road in rural NC and some drunks in their big bubba truck decided to have some fun trying to antagonize me on the road by first tail gating. When I didn't react (i.e. escalate), thankfully they illegally passed me and went on their way. I am just glad they didn't try anything like throwing beer bottles at me. It was one of the experiences that caused me to decide to get my permit. Had they done something like run me off the road, I would have been up the creek against multiple drunks.
    I used to make that trek from NC to Richmond thru DC through Baltimore through WilmingtonDE and on into Philly back in the Eighties. There are some very rural areas between Richmond and the NC State Line especially if you are east of I-95. I do not like to get off of the main drag when traveling in rural areas because of the increase chances of collisions with animals(Deer) and increasing chances of running into fools like you stated in your post. Glad I don't have to travel up and down the interstate anymore but it was very educational while it lasted. I have seen some strange things while traveling the highways i.e. one morning while going back to Philly from NC there was a nude woman in the middle of the road on all fours right outside of Weldon NC. I hit the gas pedal and went around her and didn't fall for the set up.

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    Why not, it is legal in PA.
    Yep. Believe it or not, it's even legal to drink too. Of course it's not wise.

OP: Depending on the car I'm in, they don't stand a chance following me. If there is one thing I'm confident in, it's me and my car.

Back in the late sixties the wife & I were on vacation & late one night we stopped in a town & got a motel. Early next morning we were trying to find our back to the interstate among a myriad of one way streets. Somehow I kept ending up on a street that went right past the state prison & after a bit I noticed a dark green Plymouth sedan with two occupants tailing us. I stopped right in the middle of the street & jumped out of the car with my badge & ID in my left hand & my 38 snub in my right hand and ordered the two men to put their hands on the dash. Seems I had captured two local gendarmes. I asked why the tail and they said one of the prison tower guards thought we were waiting for 1 or more of their inmates to make a break after the third time I drove past the prison. We all had a good laugh & they had me follow them to the interstate.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    You upset a bunch of drunk guys at the bar.

Three of them follow you home shouting threats and coming close to you but never making contact.

You are armed, how would you react in this scenario, assume you are in this situation and don't respond with what you would have done to avoid it.
    As long as they don't make contact, there's not a lot you can do. Just keep on walking. They might eventually get tired of following you, or they might get bored, or they might get ballsy enough to make contact. Sometimes, it doesn't matter what you do, an attack is inevitable. Just ask Gerald Ung.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Let me understand where noway is coming from when he agrees with Eagle that "things just happen". The initial thread mentions the fact that the author "upset" or somehow had a disagreement with the so-called troublemakers. I heartily agree with jbum and claude----you drink and you upset a bunch of guys and do it often enough--guess what?--you will rewrite this thread again and again until someone gets shot and you demonstrate your irresponsibility given the fact that you are the one carrying a firearm. If, just one time, it ends up in a shooting and there are bar witnesses who will swear you were the initial provacateur, you will have a more difficult time proving your imminent danger presumption, even though their actions were also wrong. What a really silly scenario--a guy who is drinking upsets a bunch of guys who are drinking and someone ends up dead because one of them has a firearm.--ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Let me understand where noway is coming from when he agrees with Eagle that "things just happen". The initial thread mentions the fact that the author "upset" or somehow had a disagreement with the so-called troublemakers. I heartily agree with jbum and claude----you drink and you upset a bunch of guys and do it often enough--guess what?--you will rewrite this thread again and again until someone gets shot and you demonstrate your irresponsibility given the fact that you are the one carrying a firearm. If, just one time, it ends up in a shooting and there are bar witnesses who will swear you were the initial provacateur, you will have a more difficult time proving your imminent danger presumption, even though their actions were also wrong. What a really silly scenario--a guy who is drinking upsets a bunch of guys who are drinking and someone ends up dead because one of them has a firearm.--ridiculous
    I'm still trying to figure out what this silly scenario has to do with drinking - unless it's simply trying to paint anyone who enjoys a drink as a drooling, hate-filled brawler ready to take offense at the drop of a hat. Or to paint yourself as a victim of the demon rum. You guys have watched too many westerns.

If I pop 'round to the pub for a drink, I sit with like-minded patrons (men and women) who enjoy a social beverage with others: sometimes with live music, or a trivia game, or to watch a game. I don't go looking fort anything but a mellow buzz and some company. If I felt there was any sort of increased risk, I wouldn't go.

If I just want to imbibe, I can pop a beer at home. Please tell me where all the angry drunks are. They certainly don't frequent the places I do.
    RockStrongo likes this.

Well, rest assured that they're out there..... I'd say just be grateful that we don't have to deal with um.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Absolutely agree with you Mad. Silly scenario. Cannot understand how you can be CC, get yourself buzzed enough to get a bunch of drunks mad at you and now you want us to tell you all is OK or that it is just a wonderful idea to shoot um all. I do feel, however, that if you are at an 08 limit and can be arrested for DUI, you will have a very difficult time explaining a situation involving your firearm if you test to greater than 08. IMO, you must know your 08 limit vs # of beers or drinks and not test the legal and civil system should you find yourself in a shooting. Yelling defense when suspicions lead to evidence that you are over 08 is just not a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out what this silly scenario has to do with drinking - unless it's simply trying to paint anyone who enjoys a drink as a drooling, hate-filled brawler ready to take offense at the drop of a hat. Or to paint yourself as a victim of the demon rum. You guys have watched too many westerns.

If I pop 'round to the pub for a drink, I sit with like-minded patrons (men and women) who enjoy a social beverage with others: sometimes with live music, or a trivia game, or to watch a game. I don't go looking fort anything but a mellow buzz and some company. If I felt there was any sort of increased risk, I wouldn't go.

If I just want to imbibe, I can pop a beer at home. Please tell me where all the angry drunks are. They certainly don't frequent the places I do.
    I agree. My wife and I frequent Chilis or a few other places. We never have any problem with angry drunks. You would more likely find this behavoir at a bar where people go to drink more than a couple.

This is why Oklahoma allows you to carry at places that primarily serve food, yet provide alcohol. I just wish Oklahoma would lighten up on allowing carries to have a beer with their meal.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Let me understand where noway is coming from when he agrees with Eagle that "things just happen". <snip> What a really silly scenario--a guy who is drinking upsets a bunch of guys who are drinking and someone ends up dead because one of them has a firearm.--ridiculous
    I completely agree that the idea of going out drinking and upsetting a bunch of guys while carrying is, ridiculous. I also suspect, more like believe based upon the apparent statistics, that nearly all CC permit holders would avoid such as situation to begin with.

Where I was coming from is that to be in an encounter, or upset a bunch of drunks, and effectively put yourself in this type of situation, one does not have to be drinking because the drunks like to go out on the roads. What's worse is more than likely, it doesn't take anything to make them target you other than just being there, and there can even be places like the interstate highway.

One time while making the Friday evening trek I mentioned in my previous post, I was on the same stretch of I-85, near the area mention by Bigpoppa48. As I was going down the road, a car pulls out of the rest stop, going the wrong way and into my oncoming lane of traffic. Apparently they realized their mistake about the time they got to the end (start) of the ramp and decided to try and make a right hand turn on to the highway and go the proper direction. Instead, they managed to place themselves across both lanes of traffic and get stuck without enough room to turn. I learned that day, just how much stopping distance it takes to go from ~75 MPH (speed limit 70) to 0. Were they drunk or on drugs? Your guess is as good as mine, but I would say it is a good bet.

This is also the same stretch of road where someone dumped the charred corpse of an unidentified Asian man about four years ago (the sheriff put up signs asking for leads).

About 9 years ago (before I was carrying), I was visiting my hometown and hanging out with some of my old buddies from childhood. They suggested going to a popular yuppyish, not seedy, bar in the neighboring town late in the evening. We were pumped up reminscing about old times and the stuff we used to get into and we pile in a car and hit the road. For the record, this is where I broke "the stupid rule." I was hanging out with stupid people, going to a stupid place, and doing stupid things. My fault.

We arrived and all was going well until a bar fight ensued between other people in the bar that turned into an all out everyone on everyone right where I was standing at the bar (didn't know where my friends were at that point). Me and another big guy I didn't know were standing back-to-back fighting people off and we were able to get it under control (we were pinned against the bar and had no choice). On a funny note, one guy turned with his hand cocked ready to hit me until he saw how much bigger I was than him and he changed his mind.

I found one of my buddies who was on the perimeter and not in the mix and someone else came up and said the other guy that came in with us (he's a big and fit guy) was outside fighting 4 guys. At this point, the police are arriving in droves and we run out, grab our buddy when the guys he was involved with were distracted by the police coming and we piled in the car and split. We didn't realize the 4 guys did the same and followed us several miles, ran us off the road, and we busted a tire. This was right at the point of getting on the interstate or heading sraight. At the last minute, my buddy driving took the interstate ramp and they went straight. We went to the next exit on a flat tire, went to a well lit store parking lot and I changed the tire quickly and we went home.

Lessons learned:

1) Don't hang out with stupid people, go to stupid places, and do stupid things. Reminscing with old buddies can lead to this when alcohol is involved.
    2) If in an altercation, watch your mirrors. Don't let the guys see which car you get into if you can help it. Consider staying when the police arrive and not cutting a trail.
    3) I now carry and I do my best to avoid breaking the stupid rule. Sometimes stuff finds you anyway. Be prepared.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links