How do you feel about large doors with big fancy see through windows in them?

This is a discussion on How do you feel about large doors with big fancy see through windows in them? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Am I over-reacting or are my parents idiots for installing a main entrance door with a giant window large enough to see clearly through and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How do you feel about large doors with big fancy see through windows in them?

How do you feel about large doors with big fancy see through windows in them?

Am I over-reacting or are my parents idiots for installing a main entrance door with a giant window large enough to see clearly through and possibly break in through?

Do you think this poses a security threat? Would you live in a house like this, even if it was in a "good, quiet neighborhood?"

(This is a stock image, but it's similar to this... http://www.agnewdoorandwindowandglas...ExtAppl_05.JPG )

J

2. Remove Ads

My aunt next door has something like that but also has motion sensors dogs outside and a few rat dogs inside that hate people so I wouldnt worry unless you house has a cat or completely empty.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Yeah,thats not cool! I see several entry points in that set-up.

With a polycarbonate backing on the glass, I don't think it's a real big problem. The biggest issue I have is that a visitor can see (albeit not clearly) when someone is approaching the door. In the photo you showed, I think the glass sidelights are as much of a problem as the door might be.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

They have a little yappy purse dog. Not exactly a german shepherd... Sadly =/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by javahawk View Post
    Am I over-reacting or are my parents idiots for installing a main entrance door with a giant window large enough to see clearly through and possibly break in through?

Do you think this poses a security threat? Would you live in a house like this, even if it was in a "good, quiet neighborhood?"

(This is a stock image, but it's similar to this... http://www.agnewdoorandwindowandglas...ExtAppl_05.JPG )

J
    I suppose it'll keep leaves from blowing in, but I'm not sure why you would ever bother to lock it...
    Guest1 likes this.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by javahawk View Post

J
    It's not something I would ever install in a home.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

That's why they make alarms, dogs, and I have a gun. Either way that door opens by means other than my hands- then game on!
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Have a setup like that on my house. But I've also added a very nice looking metal security storm door and matching security panels on the sidelights. Most home improvement stores sell them, there's different styles and are usually custom ordered so that they fit perfectly.
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    If it were 'break-proof' it would be wonderful. Also, with a curtain on the inside so I can decide who sees what and when if they're looking at my door.

Personally, I like it, but without features like were mentioned before, I wouldn't want it.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    I honestly can relate. My wife insisted on double glass front door on the house we just built.

We compromised with mottled glass (no see-thru), reinforced with decorative iron scrollwork with the doors set in a steel frame. It looks very frail and ornate (I'll post a pic if you want), but it would take a cutting torch to get through it.

WHEC724, that's what I'm talking about, only you said it better.
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

Actually, I really prefer being able to see who's at the front door from across the room. I have doors in the house that are solid, and when people knock at those, I don't like to answer. I feel much safer knowing what might be coming through the glass than not knowing what's on the other side of a panel.

VIP Member
    We have something like that. Leaded "crystal like" cut glass held in place by what I suppose are brass decorative bars; a bit like stained glass would be. It is inlaid on a steel-clad and steel frame door with very long screws through the framing.

Could someone break it? Sure. With considerable difficulty. Could they manage to reach in to turn the handle on the dead bolt? Yup. But likely they'd shred their arm. And it can't possibly be done without making lots of noise.

You can not see clearly into the house so it isn't a vantage point for close observation.

IMO, there are easier spots for someone to get in, or rather attempt to get in. If they get in while I'm home, they will probably leave "holey."

I like the idea someone earlier mentioned about a second security door. I've consider having a decorative iron bar security door installed about 5 feet forward of the present front door. (We have a bit of an exterior entry way up front there). The only reason I have not done so is that it would need to have a double sided keyed lock, and my wife understandably fears getting trapped in the event of a fire. That's one problem with trying to erect a fortress.

Everything we do in life has a risk-benefit equation embedded, and that includes the steps we take to protect our homes and businesses.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate the different views.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links