Swinging Baseball Bat at You = Deadly Force Threat?

This is a discussion on Swinging Baseball Bat at You = Deadly Force Threat? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by x_Twitch_x Point taken.. I just think a man with a bat don't deserve to be killed... that's why I threw the VERY ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Swinging Baseball Bat at You = Deadly Force Threat?

Quote Originally Posted by x_Twitch_x View Post
    Point taken.. I just think a man with a bat don't deserve to be killed... that's why I threw the VERY hesitant to shoot in there. Would rather run my butt off or bean bag him... I think I'm still fairly fast n fit
    Good, or else on your next hunt, you have to shoot the legs out from under those deadly deer!

On the other hand, while I've never been hit with a bat, I choose not to experience the thrill.. if he continues advancing, Shoot to stop the threat.
    x_Twitch_x, CountryGal and baren like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

2. Remove Ads

I have been hit with a bat.....it hurts...alot...
    Spade115 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    If a man with a bat hits you in the head, you're just as dead as if he had shot you.
    I live in Florida with a "stand your ground law", no duty to retreat.
    He comes at me with a bat, he had better have made peace with his maker.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Good, or else on your next hunt, you have to shoot the legs out from under those deadly deer!

On the other hand, while I've never been hit with a bat, I choose not to experience the thrill.. if he continues advancing, Shoot to stop the threat.
    Haha those deer can and WILL get you...
    I for one have not been hit with a bat either, let's drink to that!

Quote Originally Posted by x_Twitch_x View Post
    Point taken.. I just think a man with a bat don't deserve to be killed... that's why I threw the VERY hesitant to shoot in there. Would rather run my butt off or bean bag him... I think I'm still fairly fast n fit
    I dont think anyone should be assaulted sitting in a car but it happens. :P
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

That bat could be deadly force in my opinion. One time I got hit fairly hard with a plastic bat on the arm by a kid & it hurt pretty bad. Didn't break anything, but it was plastic & it was a kid, not an adult with a wooden or metal bat.

You could definitely get knocked out or permanent brain damage if you got whacked in the head. I doubt it would be hard to be killed with a bat... Yeah, I'm going for my gun, but if he drops the bat & doesn't threaten me anymore, I wouldn't shoot him.

KDV
    Shoot to kill.
    The perpetual changes which have been rung upon the wealthy, the well-born, and the great, have been such as to inspire the disgust of all sensible men.
    Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers No. 85

I would point out that a bat to the skull will kill very easily. I know the movies always show people in fights and take multiple blows to knock somebody down, whether it be the good guy or bad guy. But a bat will kill, and at minimum will put you in the hospital with a concussion. If it hits you anywhere else in the body, it can break bones.

This type of thing has gone to court many times. Even a beer bottle to the head is considered attempted murder in many cases. So it would be very easy to justify shooting somebody if they were assaulting you with a bat.

It is also worth pointing out the flip side. Anyone who has had any martial arts training knows that a bat, pipe, stick, broom, or anything long like that takes a very long time to swing. It is much easier to defend against somebody with a bat than, for example, somebody with a small knife. With the bat, you can see exactly where they are going to swing it. Most of the time it is possible to close the distance, rendering their bat useless. With proper training, it is very easy to take the bat away from somebody as well. It is just too slow of an instrument to use. I'm much more afraid of a knife. It is hard to tell if they even have one, and they may stab you or cut you anywhere with it and you may not be able to respond until after the fact.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

3D [OP]
    Thanks for the post guys/gals.

I'm 70.
    I've read and seen enough to know the terrible AND deadly effects of a baseball bat (or any long, hefty bludgeon).
    If it were me in passenger side of my SUV, high center console makes getting to driver's side door difficult.

I am accessing my sidearm . . . shouting at him to drop the bat . . . if he draws back to swing again I shoot to NEGATE the threat.
    Inspector71 and RoadKill like this.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

If ???? you shoot just to wound, you will more than likely need to spend a large amount of money on a lawyer, I myself am never, never going to shot to wound, if I do in fact shoot Can't run, too old and not really in good health, but I will protect myself, because my plan at this point in time is to keep getting older.
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

3D [OP]
    ............to continue,

If I were standing outside of my vehicle it might be a totally different sequence of events.
    I have to agree with adric22 that if space allows, unarmed defense against a fully swung bat is doable.

I had to disarm my teacher against his (real) baseball bat swing at my head. and his swing of a 3 foot length of chain at my head in self-defense training.

The huge disadvantage of being in the seat of a vehicle leaves few "easy"options IMO.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Ahh - the tactical leg-shoot-immobilize solution. Bench-warmers are continually stymied why LEO's and soldiers do not apply this obviously more humane means of warfare.

I believe you'll have a better chance of success with the bean-bag kick.

Welcome to DC
    Don't forget about shooting the gun out of their hands!

it is obviously a deadly force threat. Unless of course you can read their mind and know they really just want to beat the car and not you.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    In the news article the assailant was unknown- -so, you are sitting somewhere, apparetnly minding your own business and are attacked by an unknown assailant s that swinging a baseball bat, which we have decided that is a lethal weapon. Going H2H against somebody with a lethal weapon in hand might be do-able for some of you younger guys, but I'm not sure its wise--if he's hopped up on something he may not react to normal blows/strikes.

Nor do I want him running off so he can indiscrimantely attack the mom with baby in stroller or the elderly great-grandmother walking her poodle. If he is swinging the bat at me, he gets two to the chest and if he still swings the bat, he gets a follow-up to the head......
    Stubborn, Spade115, 3D and 2 others like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

If I do not have my weapon on me, I have had the training(and continue to practice) on disarming things like bats, sticks and knives, but keep in mind with a knife you will get cut, with a bat you will get hit, its not a full swing but anybody that has watched any boxing or UFC can tell you that a glancing blow can knock you off balance and leave you vunerable for a more sever beating...however if you do not have your weapon and cant run then you have to defend yourself, I am not saying to lay there and get killed, I am not saying the disarming tecniques wont work cause they will work. what I am saying that you will take damage.

On the other hand...If I have my weapon then I shoot, and I shoot center mass.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links