Swinging Baseball Bat at You = Deadly Force Threat?

This is a discussion on Swinging Baseball Bat at You = Deadly Force Threat? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by WHEC724 If I had the keys, I'd drive off. A baseball bat discussion came up a while back, and many advocated escalation ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Swinging Baseball Bat at You = Deadly Force Threat?

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    If I had the keys, I'd drive off.

A baseball bat discussion came up a while back, and many advocated escalation of force (i.e. pepper spray first).

I was not of that mindset, and still am not. A baseball bat is lethal force that can turn you off like a switch. I will defend myself with lethal force.
    Agreed 100%

2. Remove Ads

If he has swung the bat broke my window he has clearly displayed his intentions and I will do the same with two hollow points in the chest, more if needed.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A guy outside my car is swinging away with a baseball bat. Why would I get out--one side or the other? That only increases the chance of harm.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Just for discussion sake, you need to keep in mind that as you draw the bat swinger might hit your gun out of your hand; might break your wrist or forearm with a lucky shot etc. So you MUST make distance. Well, if you have made distance and can keep it, KEEP RUNNING.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Just for discussion sake, you need to keep in mind that as you draw the bat swinger might hit your gun out of your hand; might break your wrist or forearm with a lucky shot etc. So you MUST make distance. Well, if you have made distance and can keep it, KEEP RUNNING.
    You are assuming there that you can run faster than he can. You might be ready to bet your life on that but I am not.
    Create distance. If he attempts to re engage, shoot to stop.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

A guy outside my car is swinging away with a baseball bat. Why would I get out--one side or the other? That only increases the chance of harm.
    ================================================== ===========

Agreed.

As long as he is outside and you are inside, it is going to be hard to convince a jury that you were in immediate danger of losing your life.

It is just as likely that he will get tired and leave as it is that he will get to you. Sometimes these guys are just in a blind rage and want to break things.

On the other hand, if he breaks out the window and is reaching in to unlock the door you are in immediate danger.

I would use the time to drive off. If I could not drive off, try 911 although there might not be enough time.

Once he reaches for the door lock, it is a different story.

Until that point, you will be in a heap of legal problems if you shoot.

I have a question what if he dosnt try and reach for the hand but instead shoves the bat into your face I would think someone busting out your windows has put you in immediate danger.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

is car damage a good reason to shoot??? I would drive away

If your a passenger and your just sitting there, that usually means whoever was driving more then likely took the keys. I know I dont leave the keys with people in my car, My friends tend to move the car around. lol
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    I have a question what if he dosnt try and reach for the hand but instead shoves the bat into your face I would think someone busting out your windows has put you in immediate danger.

Sticking the bat through the window would be an attempt to do you grave harm and you would then be OK in shooting him.

Swinging though a car window is going to be a much slower and more difficult task than if the swing is outside the car, so you would have the advantage.

At that point, shoot.

Remember that the laws in most states make it clear that your life must be in immediate danger. As long he he is outside and you are inside, that is not the case.

VIP Member
    Inside my car in any place I have a right to be, I have no duty to retreat. In FL, no "castle" nor retreat is required.
    Stubborn and PPKman like this.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by dchet View Post
    is car damage a good reason to shoot??? I would drive away
    That's only a good reason to run someone over.

Since shot placement is everything, I would try to hit him in the knuckles first and make him drop that bat. If that doesn't stop him (or splinter his bat), then I'll go with the odds and shoot him in his left eye since most bat swinger types are cross-eye dominant. If he's still active after that, and he's still coming, then I'll aim for his leading (left) elbow, so if he does swing again at me, it will look like a Chinese ping-pong serve. Then, if there's still an issue, I'll just empty the mag center mass.

A dude with a bat coming after a dude with a gun has his priorities confused.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcurmudgeo View Post
    ================================================== ===========

Agreed.

As long as he is outside and you are inside, it is going to be hard to convince a jury that you were in immediate danger of losing your life.

It is just as likely that he will get tired and leave as it is that he will get to you. Sometimes these guys are just in a blind rage and want to break things.

On the other hand, if he breaks out the window and is reaching in to unlock the door you are in immediate danger.

I would use the time to drive off. If I could not drive off, try 911 although there might not be enough time.

Once he reaches for the door lock, it is a different story.

Until that point, you will be in a heap of legal problems if you shoot.
    FLorida statute:
    776.013 Home protection; use of deadly force; presumption of fear of death or great bodily harm.—(1) A person is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another when using defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if:
    (a) The person against whom the defensive force was used was in the process of unlawfully and forcefully entering, or had unlawfully and forcibly entered, a dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle, or if that person had removed or was attempting to remove another against that person’s will from the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle; and
    (b) The person who uses defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act was occurring or had occurred.

Breaking the windows is pretty clear evidense of "forcible entry." What "reasonable person" would not think that this guy was trying to kill him or cause great bodily harm?

You wonder if a man with a bat is a deadly threat?!

Seriously?
    Thylacine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TravisABQ View Post
    You wonder if a man with a bat is a deadly threat?!

Seriously?
    What's his average?
    Spade115 likes this.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links