Swinging Baseball Bat at You = Deadly Force Threat? - Page 5

Swinging Baseball Bat at You = Deadly Force Threat?

This is a discussion on Swinging Baseball Bat at You = Deadly Force Threat? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Where did the idea that a baseball bat is a toy that can be used as a weapon come from? Actually isn't it the other ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Swinging Baseball Bat at You = Deadly Force Threat?

Where did the idea that a baseball bat is a toy that can be used as a weapon come from? Actually isn't it the other way around? Man has used clubs for a few thousand years as weapons to kill prey and each other with. It was only in the last hundred years that we found a peaceful use for the club by using it as a baseball bat.

Michael
    Hopyard, 12smile and baren like this.

74 yr old man, beat to death in California Walmart (sports section ) from a man who was asking him for some money, and he refused.

Dangerous enough for ya ?

Gangs in Canada, saw off baseball bats so that they can hide them in their coats, then rob ... and many times have killed the victim, by beating them to death. Rival gang members in the wrong territory, get beaten to death.

Dangerous enough for ya ?

Only takes one good swing and connecting someone in the head, it can be all over.
    Spade115 likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

They reach for a weapon I reach for a weapon. They come at me with a weapon I fire. I would also have my hand in a position to draw, and maybe even gun uot if I felt it completely necessary, if I had multiple antagonists threatening me. This is not the old days when you didn't hit someone who was down. These days people who are of the mind set to start a fight oe attack you will beat and kick even an unconsious person, which can easily cause life threatening injuries, especially with a mob mentality behind them.
    NYCrulesU and Eagleks like this.

3D [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    ....................... Man has used clubs for a few thousand years as weapons to kill prey and each other with.....................
    Michael
    I think that's why this scenario provokes such a 'visceral' response in me.

I've repeatedly read of people being shot - even multiple times - and surviving.... some of them not even realizing they were shot at the time they took the 'hit'.
    On the other hand I cannot imagine someone not being painfully damaged by even one blow from a hard-swung 'club'.

I know at a very deep level I do not want to become that plile of crushed bones and bloody meat.
    When I started this thread I was VERY clear that in this situation I would shoot the attacker to the ground.
    I then wondered if I was over reacting so I sought forum members' responses.

Thank you all for your validating input.
    Yankeejib likes this.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcurmudgeo View Post
    Neither your opinion or mine is worth crap.

What matters is what the DA in the jurisdiction in which this occurs thinks.

A hot shot DA out to make a name for himself or one who is anti gun will take the position that you have no idea the guy with the bat was intent on entering your vehicle and doing you harm until he actually reaches in, attempts to unlock the door or tells you that he is going to do harm to you.

He can argue that the guy was simply having a temper tantrum and wanted to break things.

There are all kinds of stories about people breaking out windshields and windows, headlights, jumping up and down on hoods, etc., that would make his case against you sound plausible.

Castle Law is quoted too many times in these discussions. Castle Law does not absolve one from proving that his life was in danger. One cannot, for instance, shoot the delivery boy because he opened your door to put a package inside.
    I'll take my chances with the jury here in FL and the statute as stated. (A local judge just tossed a murder charge based of this very statute.) You take your chances with the bat and the Tarheel jury in NC. Like the law here in Fl stated, I am presumed to be in fear here; I don't have to prove SD--the prosecutor has to prove it wasn't. I plan on being there either way.
    Penhall likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Yeah, a baseball bat is a deadly weapon. Play this scene for the jury and explain that your memory of it is the reason you shot in self defense.

"The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

if you are in a car, no keys stay in the car. it is very un likely they will get a swing that will do anymore than damage the car. Remember if he is outside of the car he can easily get to wherever you are faster than you can. If you can get out and he backs you into a corner and you have no escape other than using deadly force then don't shoot the mame. Put one dead center in the torso. Don't give them a chance to attack again.
    That's my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcurmudgeo View Post
    Neither your opinion or mine is worth crap.

Castle Law is quoted too many times in these discussions. Castle Law does not absolve one from proving that his life was in danger. One cannot, for instance, shoot the delivery boy because he opened your door to put a package inside.
    Intent is 9/10th's of the law.

RKM
    That's not far from where I live.

A baseball bat EASILY is a deadly threat. If you have no escape, then I see no problem defending yourself with any means necessary.

My first option is to drive away, if escape is not an option, then ending the threat is the what is left.

"Take me out to the ball game...'cause it's 1, 2 (to the center of mass), and three to the head..."
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

...give me a ball bat and I will most definitely prove to you that it is in fact lethal.
    Probably more so than a knife.
    It reaches farther, requires little skill, and can instantly turn off an opponents ability to do anything other than swallow their teeth.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

3D [OP]
    Gene83....that is PRECISELY the scene I had in mind when I read the news story.

What's it been?...20__30years since that movie?? It made a terrible impression on me.
    Ain't never gonna' be there as long as my Kimber is on my side!!!!
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by modernknight View Post
    LOL, I would say run away but you cant out run a crack head...lol

(meant as a joke,)
    nah, actually they don't last long in foot chases lol, usually wither out after a couple of blocks and we have to call an ambulance for them cause they fake a heart attack trying to get out of going to jail.....and it never works
    Yankeejib and modernknight like this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    nah, actually they don't last long in foot chases lol, usually wither out after a couple of blocks and we have to call an ambulance for them cause they fake a heart attack trying to get out of going to jail.....and it never works
    Too bad you can't fake a good de-fibrillation with a sap.
    INccwchris likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Too bad you can't fake a good de-fibrillation with a sap.
    I always enjoy administering a very harsh sternum rub with the end of my asp then they "pass out"
    quite entertaining and a good test
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Sponsored Links