Swinging Baseball Bat at You = Deadly Force Threat?

Swinging Baseball Bat at You = Deadly Force Threat?

This is a discussion on Swinging Baseball Bat at You = Deadly Force Threat? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What would you do If this happened to you ...... and you were armed? ........Police said a man was sitting in the front passenger seat ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Swinging Baseball Bat at You = Deadly Force Threat?

3D [OP]

Question Swinging Baseball Bat at You = Deadly Force Threat?

What would you do If this happened to you ...... and you were armed?

........Police said a man was sitting in the front passenger seat of a car parked along the side of the road in the 400 block of North Pitt Street at 1:15 p.m.
    An unknown man carrying a long, orange baseball bat approached the car and smashed the front passenger side window, according to police.
    The man inside quickly moved over to the driver side to get out while the man with the bat hit the windshield, police said.......
    Read more: Cumberlink.com: Man attacked, chased by man with baseball bat in Carlisle

Would I be the only one access my sidearm?
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

VIP Member
    If I had the keys, I'd drive off.

A baseball bat discussion came up a while back, and many advocated escalation of force (i.e. pepper spray first).

I was not of that mindset, and still am not. A baseball bat is lethal force that can turn you off like a switch. I will defend myself with lethal force.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Agreed, a bat is definitely a lethal weapon, and can easily cause "great bodily harm" ...
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

I would have to say, the call would be that he struck you and would not get another turn at bat. Justifyable self protection. If there was no reason for his actions.
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

If you can't drive off, the victim in the article did the right thing, get out the other side of the car... Now, access your weapon of choice... pepper (OC) spray, tazer, gun, cannon, airstrike, nuke, in that order... He'll probably be done after #2 or 3, but with these "crank heads" on the loose, you just never know.
    tcox4freedom and baren like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Also agree, taken straight from the WV Code,

"Deadly weapon" means an instrument which is designed to be used to produce serious bodily injury or death or is readily adaptable to such use.

Readily adaptable to such use...that covers a lot of improvised weapons.

quick story..In high school, the school had a strict policy about "deadly weapons" and often conducted searches of students and their cars. (yes there was a shooting in my school, but that is a different story) long story short, they searched my car on a spring day, found a baseball bat, in my equipment bag, in my locked trunk and notified the school resourse officer, who then notified my dad...they had full intention of suspending me, however there is a happy ending to the story..I played baseball for the school...took my dad and the coach to explain this was part of my equipment to the school...(even though it was in an equipment bag with my glove,cleats and practice gear). The thing that saved me was the fact it was baseball season. If I did not play ball and it was not season I would have had a lot of trouble.

So, yea I agree a bat is a deadly weapon, If I have a means of escape like my keys then I drive away,If not then I defend myself with the amount of force needed to stop the threat...not one step more.

LOL, I would say run away but you cant out run a crack head...lol

(meant as a joke,)

From the passenger seat for me to move, get the key out start and drive off he would be able to get at least 3-4 more swings in. If I go for the pistol, maybe 1-2 swings while I pivot so my legs are the target, not head, spine...

I go for my weapon
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin

I would exit the vehicle opposite side of the attacker as the victim did. Most likely throw a few words at the guy... If he is coming at me and running me down and all I have is a sidearm I don't think it would cause me to use deadly force on the man.. Maybe a shot in the lower leg or something I would be very hesitant to squeeze one off.. just me. There is always a good old fashioned .

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    In fear for your life generally justifies deadly force unless your state requires a duty to retreat.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by x_Twitch_x View Post
    I would exit the vehicle opposite side of the attacker as the victim did. Most likely throw a few words at the guy... If he is coming at me and running me down and all I have is a sidearm I don't think it would cause me to use deadly force on the man.. Maybe a shot in the lower leg or something I would be very hesitant to squeeze one off.. just me. There is always a good old fashioned .
    Oh boy... gonna shoot to wound, eh? Then the guy was not a threat in the legal sense of the term... There goes your new permit... and maybe an assault charge...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by x_Twitch_x View Post
    Ahh - the tactical leg-shoot-immobilize solution. Bench-warmers are continually stymied why LEO's and soldiers do not apply this obviously more humane means of warfare.

I believe you'll have a better chance of success with the bean-bag kick.

Welcome to DC

If for some reason im not driving (Very Very Rare) And I had a fire arm on me, then yes by all means I would shoot center mass, a baseball bat hitting you in the leg or anywhere else for that matter will still do damage.

hehe Bean Bag Kick.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Agreed Oakchas-- I do not always have to fire when I draw(person drops bat, stops advancing ect.) however when I do fire it is center mass...legs are hard to hit on a moving target as well as head and I am responsible for a miss, and I dont wanna miss..

besides with the advances in modern medicine the attacker has a good chance to live anyway...

Point taken.. I just think a man with a bat don't deserve to be killed... that's why I threw the VERY hesitant to shoot in there. Would rather run my butt off or bean bag him... I think I'm still fairly fast n fit

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links