Take your shot?

This is a discussion on Take your shot? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 9MMare IMO, the 'tunnel vision' thing is no more or no less likely than the reflexive tightening of the trigger finger. I ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Take your shot?

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    IMO, the 'tunnel vision' thing is no more or no less likely than the reflexive tightening of the trigger finger. I think it's a large risk to shoot and assume there will be no reflexive reaction and the same large risk to assume the tunnel vision.

I would base my actions on angle of shot and my belief at that moment if that attacker really means to shoot the clerk. My belief, how I read the situation, holds about as much water as betting on either reflex or tunnel vision....large risk.
    So, you would take the shot, with BG's finger on the trigger, if you had angle? Which angle would be ideal? Based on which caliber (I assume 9mm because of your screen name only)?

How much movement/attention do we need on the part of the bad guy to give the clerk opportunity to duck and be out of the picture entirely?

Have you ever been under the effects of adrenaline? And if so, to what degree? There's a difference between adrenaline "Dump" and increased adrenaline in your system. I've "been there" with both. It's a marked difference.

I believe that any perp is likely to have some effects of it, to a greater or lesser degree, depending on his experience in these behaviors (high risk, fast paced; stop and robs or smash and grabs).

I don't believe that shooting a person with his finger on the trigger and attempting to direct his attention off the intended target are "a wash" regarding risk. It's only my opinion. But I am arguing for it. And have yet to see anyone with evidence that it's incorrect.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    So, without getting into caliber wars: What single BRAND/type of SD Ammunition would you recommend to guarantee totally destructive deadly stop in brain pan or chest; through any clothing (not body armor), in any weather, on any given day, in any normal carry gun, from .32 ACP thru .45, from less than 50 feet, in the hands of any permitted shooter... (and maybe before you broadcast it as the be-all/end all solution, let me know so that I can buy stock in the company... and you might want to warn them too, they'll want to tool up.)
    Buck Roger's micro nuclear explosive ammo, upon impact the miniature explosion and mushroom cloud "with a Center of Mass shot" incinerate everything from the hips up in .000000001 seconds. :-) Not available until completion of testing, estimated release date 2485 AD
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    So, without getting into caliber wars: What single BRAND/type of SD Ammunition would you recommend to guarantee totally destructive deadly stop in brain pan or chest; through any clothing (not body armor), in any weather, on any given day, in any normal carry gun, from .32 ACP thru .45, from less than 50 feet, in the hands of any permitted shooter... (and maybe before you broadcast it as the be-all/end all solution, let me know so that I can buy stock in the company... and you might want to warn them too, they'll want to tool up.)
    nothing in life in guaranteed..
    people that carry FMJ for defense in any of these calibers are fools 9/40/10/45 JHP
    DPX/gold dot/ranger T

why are they fools?... 1st lets look at the logic as to why they do..

1: JHPs "might" not expand ... ok.. so you will pick a bullet that 100% wont expand for 1 that "might" not?
    2: it will punch through heavy winter clothing..... seriously?... find me a winter jacket that will make you bullet proof VS 9/40/10/45
    3: it will feed better... sell your POS gun...
    4: it will go through car doors better.. 1st, tell me the stats of civi's that get in gun battles VS cars... 2nd ..if you think you live someplace you might find your self in roaming gun fights VS cars, i suggest you move

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Interesting. Completely argued it out against himself in a matter of two posts!
    hardly... bullets made for paper and people are totally different in damage effects..

i have seen a point blank 9mm FMJ hit to a thigh that traveled through close to 14" if flesh that didnt require a single stitch... and was up walking the next day

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links