Heard noise while in the shower.

This is a discussion on Heard noise while in the shower. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened about a week ago. I think I've seen threads here on shower circumstances before, but never paid much attention until now. My daughter ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Heard noise while in the shower.

This happened about a week ago. I think I've seen threads here on shower circumstances before, but never paid much attention until now.

My daughter was staying with my parents for the night and my wife and I were getting ready to go to out and we were taking a shower. So here I am covered in soap and suddenly I hear a loud bang. Sounded almost like somebody slamming a door in the house. We looked at each other and I said, "did you hear that?" If my daughter had been home, i would have assumed she was making the noise. My wife suggested it was probably one of the cats. I just stood there and listened, then I heard it again. I was very confused as to what I should do. After another second or two, I decided to step out of the shower, despite being covered in soap and water and dripping all over the place. I grabbed my Glock 19 and walked around the house. I never did find the source of the noise. Both cats were asleep on the sofa. I couldn't be sure the noise wasn't being caused by somebody outside but I wasn't about to walk outside with no clothes on. In the end, I returned to the shower and left my Glock on the bathroom counter.

To this day I still don't know what the noise was. I didn't even think to check my outside security cameras until two days later when that part would have already been deleted (I only get about 36 hours of recording).

Anyway. I felt extremely helpless in that situation. Had it been a real home invasion, I would have been at a severe disadvantage. I remember seeing a post on here a year ago where somebody vacuum sealed a gun and hung it in their shower. I would like to do that, but I can't because I have a child in the house and that wouldn't be a good gun-safe. I suppose I could start always leaving a gun on the bathroom counter when I'm taking a shower. Any other thoughts?
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

JD
    Administrator
    Soap on a rope bolo? I've always found the gun "in the shower" to be slightly absurd. I can see a gun in a biovault in a bathroom closet or something, but in the shower?

always have a Glock on the bathroom counter when showering....just a couple of feet away. Of course even that is too far away in a case like this............

The Famous Shower Scene From "Psycho" - YouTube
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

So, you came out of the shower... "all ... lathered ... up" And scared away the perp... No harm, no foul...

Or maybe you didn't scare any one away and the house was "settling," or the cat knocked over a picture, twice.

If your master bath is in the master bedroom, take your showers with the bedroom door locked. That should be your "safe room" anyway (dependent on where the little one sleeps in the house).

I've gotten past the need to "clear the house." Let 'em come to me... I got 911 hardline or cell in the bedroom. That's where all my HD guns are.

If your bath isn't part of a master suite, then it is probably across the hall, "Glock on a rope" over the shower head. Your handgun is only to get you to your rifle or shotty any way.... okay, you can put the Glock on the sink, I guess...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

ZX9RCAM likes this.

AOK
    I have a dog and can tell the difference in he is barking at an animal or person. In regards to my gun I have it sitting on the counter right next to the shower still strapped on my belt. I have a kid as well so the bathroom door is shut when I'm taking a shower since it's sitting out in the open. If I hear the dog bark I immediately turn the shower off, and listen to the pitch in his bark. If I don't like it I'll ask someone downstairs what's going on. Mentally (while it's a simple hurdle but something to be aware of) I think you need to be prepared to know if something is going on you may be defending yourself in your birthday suit. If someone kicks in a door or busts a window and gets in your home there's a good chance you are not going to have any chance to throw anything on.

As mentioned above, clearing your house isn't the best idea unless you have no choice.

this reminds me of the first week when I was home from Afghanistan...I was sitting downstairs and my wife was in the shower and my daughter was in the other shower...I used the downstairs bathroom and when I returned to my chair I heard a loud boom and the house shook...I went out side looking for the impact, i thought at first we were getting a rocket attack, I was thinking I need to get the family to the bunker..lol ....appparently with all the water going at once the sump pump clicked on real hard...

VIP Member
    Take turns showering, thus maintaining 50% security. Didn't you ever watch "Psycho"?

VIP Member
    If I'm home alone (very rare circumstance), I'll lock the bedroom door as well as the bathroom door.

There's a closet that adjoins the bathroom with a 30-30 in it. The crashing of the bedroom door would be my cue to sortie my butt to the closet and arm up.

If my wife or kid is home, they never hesitate to barge right on in and tell me whatever is on their mind. I'm sure they'd mention it if there was an intruder.

Yeah, I also have 3 dogs, If they are going ape I know some one is here...I can also tell the difference between their "OHHH its a DEER" bark and "intruder, intruder! My yard" bark...lol

Your posts amuse me to no end Adric.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    so....naked and in a lather you grab your glock and---was it hard to chamber a round with slippery soapy hands?

honestly, the Mrs has had training (you have told us that) and could have taken point while you took 10 seconds to towel off.
    bbqgrill likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Your posts amuse me to no end Adric.
    They just keep getting better and better
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

It is kind of funny ,,,,, now. Not so if there had been a BG ,,, puts a new light on showing.

Thanks for the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    so....naked and in a lather you grab your glock and---was it hard to chamber a round with slippery soapy hands?
    Nope.. I had no trouble racking a round on the Glock with wet hands. I had rinsed the soap off them before getting out of the shower. I've experimented with this before. The slide on the Glock is large enough and designed in a way that I could probably rack a round even with it covered in vaseline. My taurus mousegun is a different story, though.

honestly, the Mrs has had training (you have told us that) and could have taken point while you took 10 seconds to towel off.
    She thought I was over-reacting and was sure it was one of the cats knocking something over. However, that ended up not being the case.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links