Unarmed Aggressor

This is a discussion on Unarmed Aggressor within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by oakchas Also, in a situation like this, early on, before he's so close you are cornered, it's kind of a game of ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Unarmed Aggressor

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Also, in a situation like this, early on, before he's so close you are cornered, it's kind of a game of rock/paper/scissors. If you can surrepticiously show you are armed, without brandishing... it may be enough deterrent. Peace through superior firepower and all that...
    I would rather engage in H2H and get whipped than shoot someone who is just wanting to fight. My concern is how this might play out while having a weapon. I cannot know his range of possibilities. What if he finds it in the scuffle? He might use it claiming I was the threat with a weapon.

I Have always considered warning someone not to engage me, I have my concealed carry licence. I'm hoping they would get the message and disengage. If they preceded and claimed they would shove it up my arse, I would likely pull it and defend it and myself if he persists.

2. Remove Ads

I agree with everone that we should do everything possible to diffuse the situation without violence. I would gladly swallow my pride.

I'm remnded of a video recently posted here where an unarmed aggressor knocked out an older gentlemnen. What if you were minding your own business, an aggressor starts taunting you. You keep walking and he begins to follow. Your not sure of his full intentions. In the video, there were others which would give you reason to feel serious threat, but what about just an individual?

I personally, believe in stand my ground. I feel justified in informing the aggressor I am concealed carry. I might even put my hand on gun as a last warning before pulling. I'm not comfortable with the idea of H2H while having my weapon and feel the need to warn him I consider him a threat to taking and possibly using my weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by maat View Post
    I would rather engage in H2H and get whipped than shoot someone who is just wanting to fight. My concern is how this might play out while having a weapon. I cannot know his range of possibilities. What if he finds it in the scuffle? He might use it claiming I was the threat with a weapon.

I Have always considered warning someone not to engage me, I have my concealed carry licence. I'm hoping they would get the message and disengage. If they preceded and claimed they would shove it up my arse, I would likely pull it and defend it and myself if he persists.
    I have no problem with you being able to exercise your right to take a beating. I do hope you feel the same about my right not to take one.

Michael
    baren likes this.

Maat, I wouldn't advocate telling anybody you have a permit... let alone an "enemy" or a potential enemy. While saying and surreptitiously displaying a close cousins, there may be a subtle difference. (I am the one who suggested displaying, but I'm sort of re-thinking that.)

I'm not gonna take a beating if I can help it... and while I agree wholeheartedly with what Bark'n said above (pg2)... Maas hisownself did in one instace, display a weapon... and it rather quickly de-fused the potential situation..

But, saying I've got a gun and I know how to use it (effectively, you are saying that if you announce)... could easily be considered escalation... where an "inadvertent" display of the firearm might not be considered so.

I see this as good reason to carry OC spray... though I don't.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Maat use common sense. but **** happens. Life is not fair.

Indiana: BG doesn't have weapon but is AGRESSOR; If fear of life or great fear of harm, most prosecutors is self defense. I would try shoot ground in front of feet as warning.

All situations different. A woman near by hysterically shouting gun. You did no wrong just point your gun to make Agressor retreat. Now police consider you guilty until you proven innocent. Which is to jail and the process.

Next same situation: You have witnesses, explain to police and go home.

Life is not fair.

Maat forgot to say. In nice to average areas, I still prefer to go out in group, such as 4 folks you, date and another couple. Life is not fair. So being in group is best, especially at sporting events. I avoid bad areas when possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Granddad View Post
    Maat use common sense. but **** happens. Life is not fair.

... I would try shoot ground in front of feet as warning.
    NO, NO, NO!

Quote Originally Posted by Granddad View Post
    All situations different. A woman near by hysterically shouting gun. You did no wrong just point your gun to make Agressor retreat. Now police consider you guilty until you proven innocent. Which is to jail and the process.

Next same situation: You have witnesses, explain to police and go home.

Life is not fair.
    "Life ain't fair..." True enough... Warning shots... Stupid waste of ammo and potential for loss of permit in most cases.

If you make me draw the dam thing, I'm gonna use it, on you. Or not use it at all... But I ain't gonna make you dance, I'm not gonna warn you with it or wound you... I will be justified if I use it on you... Yes, I could go to jail. But I'm reasonably certain if I shoot the thing, it's justified, and you're likely dead.

In the Gravest Extreme. Not Just Leave Me Alone.
    jace33 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    You have to do whatever you can to avoid a furthering of the confrontation before you actually present your firearm. It would seem logical that one of the first questions you get asked after having actually used your firearm is "couldn't you do anything else to avoid shooting the man?". If there is and was that possibility and there are witnesses around, your yelling about not wanting further escalation and your attempts to minimize the confrontation all work in your favor as to a "reasoned presumption of imminent danger" which is the precursor to actually presenting and using your firearm .Anything short of an attempt to minimize the confrontation will always leave legal and civil questions that require answers.

I have never understood the size thing and even the law falls into that trap. Guys are always saying if he is smaller I would do this but if he is bigger then me then I would do this. Well let me tell you I have seen some small guys kick the crap out of way bigger individuals. Small guys tend to be fast with there hands and feet and when it comes down to trading punches in close quarters it's all about arm strength and not body mass. Small guys might not have the reach that a bigger guy would have but try and defend your lower body area from someone hell bent on trying to make your voice higher for life.
    I always think it's funny when I see some guy that thinks he is some big stud strut around thinking no one can hurt him. Back in my younger days when I often visited the ruff and tumble places I have seen more then one of these guys get handled by a little guy. I myself have mostly managed to stay out of trouble, but have had a few guys want to prove that they could take the biggest guy in the place but most just go away when I didn't show interest in there game.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links