Dog Attack - Would you draw?

This is a discussion on Dog Attack - Would you draw? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I love dogs. I have 3, but I would absolutely shoot. The only time I've ever pulled my gun was when my wife was charged ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Dog Attack - Would you draw?

I love dogs. I have 3, but I would absolutely shoot. The only time I've ever pulled my gun was when my wife was charged by an angry coon hound. I pulled her behind me as a drew on the dog. Fortunately, the dog pulled up short and I didn't have to pull the trigger.

2. Remove Ads

On a somewhat unrelated story, I had a dog that kept jumping over my fence and killing my pet ducks. (Yes, I used to keep ducks in my back yard) Usually it would happen when I wasn't home. One day I saw the dog in my yard and ran to grab my Glock (sorry, don't own a rifle) and ran to the back yard. That thing was so darned fast. When it heard me open the door it was back over the fence and out of sight before I had time to even aim. I was fully prepared to shoot it despite city code on discharging firearms.

Eventually, I gave away the 1 duck that was remaining because I knew she'd be killed eventually. She got to go to a farm and live with other ducks. Here's a picture of her:

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Two things:

It's German Shepherd (not Sheppard)

And a lot of times you will be charged with discharging a firearm in the city for shooting a dog. Tough to claim "deadly" force if the dog isn't chewing on your throat.

That said, I'd shoot too, just be aware that you may still be charged with a crime.

I carry pepper gel for my Basenji's protection, Glock for my protection. I walk my boy at least three times a day in my neighborhood. There are 3 or 4 big dogs that live around with owners that aren't very smart.

I consider any dog that will attack a human a threat. In most cases they may not be a threat to an adult, but any loose vicious dog can mame a child.

I've had a fairly big dog attack my boxer while I had him on a leash, but I only had to kick him hard to get him off. I don't think his master was happy about it, but he took him away without complaining. Would I have shot the dog? No, he did not seem vicious enough.

I would perfer to kick a dog first, but if it is a big shepard or pitbull, I might shoot first.

I appreciate the responses.

Pepper spray probably would have worked, but I'm sure it has a similar draw motion as a pistol. If this dog got a hold of me... I'm not talking about a little medical nuisance, that German Shepherd must have been well over 100+ lbs (no ankle-biter) and I would be looking at torn flesh and possible crush injuries. A minor bite and break in the skin, I can handle that. The scary thing for me is, my reaction time would probably only allow me to swing my bag of milk and chips at it, maybe only a front kick. Thank goodness that lady held onto the dog long enough until we (the visible neighbors as catalyst for the dog's behavior) were safely inside our place. I'm sure that dog is as good as gold at other times. Maybe it was a male dog and didn't like seeing my lazy male bulldog. The next run-in with that dog, I hope to see him on more friendly terms.
    Carry: Sig P238
    Home: Stoeger Couger 8000F 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by odeaar View Post
    I appreciate the responses.

Pepper spray probably would have worked, but I'm sure it has a similar draw motion as a pistol. If this dog got a hold of me... I'm not talking about a little medical nuisance, that German Shepherd must have been well over 100+ lbs (no ankle-biter) and I would be looking at torn flesh and possible crush injuries. A minor bite and break in the skin, I can handle that. The scary thing for me is, my reaction time would probably only allow me to swing my bag of milk and chips at it, maybe only a front kick. Thank goodness that lady held onto the dog long enough until we (the visible neighbors as catalyst for the dog's behavior) were safely inside our place. I'm sure that dog is as good as gold at other times. Maybe it was a male dog and didn't like seeing my lazy male bulldog. The next run-in with that dog, I hope to see him on more friendly terms.
    I have a friend who is a K-9 officer. He has been attacked by police dogs(shepards) twice. As much as I like shepards, I would not trust one coming at me.

On Holloween one year, I approached a house with my young daughter. The owner had a Rottweiler on a leash and it lunged at my daughter. I was able to get between her and the dog as the owner yanked him back. Had this dog approached us unleashed, I would have shot him immediatly.

Quote Originally Posted by maat View Post
    ....On Holloween one year, I approached a house with my young daughter. The owner had a Rottweiler on a leash and it lunged at my daughter. I was able to get between her and the dog as the owner yanked him back. Had this dog approached us unleashed, I would have shot him immediatly.
    Seems like a very harsh response, especially since you are on the dog owner's property.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

I use to fight dogs all the time growing up. Most have collars. So if you notice a collar you can use the spray if your worried about drawing a gun or spray. I was always able to get hold of the collar. Once you get hold you have control of the dog.But I grew up rough. Dog were always all over running loose. It was common to have dogs come after you.

I love dogs and adopt dobermans and pitbulls from rescue centers.

Folks need to do what they need to do to protect themselves and their loved ones.

When I was an active LEO I had to use my baton on large aggressive dogs.

It was a strike to the jaw and that ended the confrontation immediately.

It also cost the owner of one a vet bill to have the dogs jaw wired together.

I usually have an ASP baton and pepper spray close by when out and about and that would be my first response if possible.

Deadly force would be my choice of last resort but it would be an option on the table.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I mountain bike in the foot hills at least once a week and always come across a dog owner that lets his animals run loose. I have been bitten twice but never once suggested that I was armed or presented my weapon. Granted, they were quick bites that were not life threatening events, but they drew blood and bruised skin. I always carry a G27 while biking, in a front waist pack that is very accessible. If my life were in danger, the dog would go first and the owner might be second. I don't want to shoot anything or anyone and I guess that I'll try to wait until the last possible moment to use deadly force. ( I hope that I'll never be too late!)

I agree that the dog should be damaged, however I consider myself an excellent shot and would not feel comfortable taking the shot on a fast moving dog with people behind it...I love dogs and currently have three big dogs...OC spray would be good and I guess I should start carrying it after reading this but as of right now I carry my firearm and a good knife....I think I would get bit in this situation trying to get between the dog and my family while pulling my knife...

as far as good shot....I have shot expert every qual course and range except 2...the very first one and when they made me use a red dot instead of iron sights. (I shot that course over with iron and hit expert) this includes rifles, machineguns, hand guns shot guns, SC law enforcment course, moving targets and know/unknow distance.....and I still would not take the shot with the lady behind the dog nor in a neighborhood with houses...

course in a jon woo movie you could hit the dog while jumping over your wife carring the bulldog in you other arm...

I would probably wait until it was painfully obvious that it was going to attach itself to my leg or one of my boys. Then drop it.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by jerp View Post
    YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

This should clear it up....
    Mobile phone links don't work too well without a mobile phone

Dog attacks Police Officer Taser Full News Report

When walking the dogs or through the neighborhood in general, I always have my pepper spray either in my hand or my hand on it in my pocket, based on my personal space & perceived threats.

As to the linked video here, the fact that: that the police were there per a neighbor's concern & report of previous escapes; the dog broke its confinement WHILE the owners were present & they couldn't control him; the dog charged & attacked (shouldn't matter that he didn't inflict harm) a POLICE OFFICER & several defensive measures were taken...on camera, no less - the city's codes should have seen this dog locked up & the owners charged &/or fined.

The officer had some nice moves, but he was not prepared from the get-go. Officer Shedrick also covered his partner with his firearm while he tried tracking the dog - This would be a major reason why a firearm isn't always a viable option for dog attacks.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Wife, dog, dog wife..... Yeah, the dog's going down, or least to the vet. Would I want to, absolutely not, big-time animal lover; but If the animal was too large for me to handle hand to hand then yes, I'd shoot the dog.
    Depends on the wifeys mood on the decision i make there
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links