Dog Attack - Would you draw?

This is a discussion on Dog Attack - Would you draw? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Maybe do a "search" on read all of the threads and posts on the subject, would be good. Dogs bark for many reasons, and it ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Dog Attack - Would you draw?

Maybe do a "search" on read all of the threads and posts on the subject, would be good.

Dogs bark for many reasons, and it does not necessary mean it was going to attack anyone. Gee... my dog will bark and come running to me when I get home, all 3 of them will, and one is a GS..... and she has a deep bark that I'm sure some people may see as menacing, but she's just saying hello and excited to see a new person to meet and to get rubbed by.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    A guy I knew was mauled to death by two pitbulls on his own property last year. Yesterday, a guy 30 miles away shot and killed two pitbulls that were coming after him on his property. I live in a forest and consider animals as much a threat as humans. I know the deer eating the apples can be dangerous when in rut, and I don't mind Mr. Bear either. I love friendly waggy-tails that come to visit, but loose aggressive dogs won't be tolerated here.
    ep1953 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I guess we are off to the races again on dog attacks. I do find them interesting but getting very repetitive. New members should use the "search engine" before they post and can probably find all the answers and opinions they need on probably several threads on this exact subject. As for me and my replies: 1. Having a dog running at me and maybe my dog and barking and legs and jaws frailing away, it seems to me there is a good chance you will kill someone else before you kill the offending dog. If the dog is just coming at you all exhuberant, which some dogs are, you can easily be killing a dog that only wants to play (it is a possibility). 2. Carry a serrated knife or a cane/stick/baton--a couple of good whacks or a slice with the blade is better and easier close in than presenting and discharging a firearm. 3. As stated in another reply, pepper spray works. If you want distance, carry a cannister of bear spray--it really works and goes out to 30 ft.
    Once again new members--check the search engine and you can get all your answers before you post
    tcox4freedom and SIGguy229 like this.

Noted. I was looking for point of view from experienced members. Saw the dog again last night and I had a good flashlight and walking stick. The walking stick is good for the snakes from the woods. Still avoided their direction, but felt better about walking my dog around at night.
    Last edited by odeaar; November 22nd, 2011 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Off topic from original thread.
    Carry: Sig P238
    Home: Stoeger Couger 8000F 9mm

I love dogs but would not hesitate if another dog would attack myself or my dog's. A German Sheppard can do a lot of damage, if it had gotten loose it would probably would of attacked your dog, not you, (you never know). You did the right thing by getting into your apt.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I guess I am just not that sentimental about animals. I have a dog, love dogs, but they are pets. If a big shepherd came roaring across the street at my wife, then I take care of that threat. Good luck under stress getting a well placed shot on an animal moving that fast, though.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by ironmike86 View Post
    I carry pepper spray. If that didn't work I would shoot it. But It usually does. Never had a pack o dogs attack me but I've had a Massiff, German Shepard and various mutts before. The spay has always worked
    Pepper sprayed a dog once, I would have had better luck with a garden hose.... been bit once, and all I can say is never again! Your dog is on the loose and coming at me, go dig a deep dog sized hole you will be needing it shortly.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I hope the mods just kill the thread.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by odeaar View Post
    Noted. I was looking for point of view from experienced members. Saw the dog again last night and I had a good flashlight and walking stick. The walking stick is good for the snakes from the woods. Still avoided their direction, but felt better about walking my dog around at night.
    40yrs experience rehabilitating & working with all the gladiator/guard breeds here. Pitbulls are my specialty and my all-time favorite breed.

I can tell you that in most cases stopping & facing a "SINGLE" dog running towards you is the best option. Running, yelling or exciting a charging dog may lead to escalation. Most charges are nothing but bluffs to let you know you or your dog is to close to their territory. By remaining calm and facing the approaching dog you will give the dog a chance to get a good look & sniff and they will "usually" stop a few feet short sniff the air, perhaps continue barking & keep their distance until you are safely out of their territory.

When you are facing "multiple" dogs the situation can become VERY dangerous; especially if there are some really unstable & aggressive dogs in the pack. But, there will usually be a "primary" aggressor (the alpha). Control him & you'll control the pack. But, if the pack is still loosely formed & there is not a solid leader, you could be in trouble.

Even when facing "multiple" dogs,You STILL need to remain calm & try NOT to excite the pack. The same rules apply, DO NOT RUN!!!! Face the lead dogs. Do NOT scream or yell!!! Instead try a firm "NO!!!" This will cause most all dogs to stop; at least for a second or two. The lower members will turn to the "alpha" for their next cue. The alpha may just stop & sniff the air' then walk away.

Most dogs that do a lot of growling & barking are not really looking to attack. They're usually trying to intimidate because they are afraid. This is why remaining calm & quiet is so important. (Exciting a fearful dog is a BAD idea!)

Now for the BAD news: A "large" dog that has made up his mind to attack is hard to deter. They uually come in hard & fast. A dog that has chosen to attack will usually NOT be doing much growling or barking. (But, friendly dog approaches this way as well.) You will need to understand more subtle cues.
    • Are the dogs hackles up?

• Is it's tail & back rigged & stiff?

• Are it's ears pinned back tight against the head?

These are just a few "possible" things that might indicate an attack is imminent. (But, they are not necessarily a sure fire way to tell.)

The TRUTH is that most people who say they were attacked by a dog really weren't. They were victims of a bluff charge. Most people who get bit do so because the misunderstand how a "dog" interprets a persons reaction & FEAR.

I have had countless dogs draw blood during the past 40yrs. I still harbor numerous scars from time spent training & rehabilitating. In all that time there has been only ONE true bite. It was a "reflex" bite because "I" messed up during a training session.

Even today, if an "outsider" watches the way my two pits interact with each other, they would swear they were fighting; when all they are doing is playing. If a non-dog person sees they way my male dog & I tussle, they would most likely think I was being mauled.

Sorry for the long post.
    I agree with other posters. I wish the mods would close this one before it goes off the deep end.

-
    protek and ArkhmAsylm like this.

I like dogs. Don't have one anymore, but still like them. Most dog owners care very much about their pets and act responsibly regarding their dog's behavior.

That being said, there is no way I'm going to accept an attack by a dog that could seriously hurt me (or my wife). A big dog that comes after me is going to be shot. I don't like that, but there it is. A little dog that decides to come after me will get a foot generated flying lesson.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have and would again.

Dog bearing down on me and/or my family...and I feel the threat is real? Same as any other threat, I will shoot it where it stands.

Edit: Some background on a past incident.

My wife and I were out taking a walk in an, "upscale" yet unfamiliar, neighborhood. We were visiting family and my wife was 8 months pregnant with our first daughter. It was winter, nice cool air..we love taking walks.

At some point during our walk I heard manic barking, then a man yelling and then I saw this dog (some kind of part pit mix breed) barreling down on us at full speed, low to the ground and hauling. Even though things slowed down to where it felt like several minutes..it all happened in seconds. I hear the guy yelling at us to run (in hind sight, he clearly knew his dog was aggressive), I grab my wife and step directly in front of her to shield her and her stomach...as the dog lunges. Not even enough time to think about drawing. He would have latched onto my inner thigh/groin had he gotten me. I managed (half luck and I guess half instincts from many years of martial arts) to grab it by the head and collar and throw it to my left. Deflecting it more or less. It hit the ground and tumbled. I drew my G19 that I was CC'ing, stepped away from my wife and towards the dog. Before it could get back to it's feet I put three rounds into it. Two to the ribs, beneath the shoulder, and one to the head.

Rest of story in nutshell...owner irrate, dozens of neighbors come out, local police arrive, gun seized at the scene, other neighbors come forward as witnesses and their own accounts of being chased back into their homes by this same dog. Turns out many complaints filed against dog and owner. No charges filed. Gun returned to me, statement signed and we were able to leave. Family member had to pick us up, by now my wife was still shaken and visibly exhausted.

These things can happen in a heartbeat. Not all dogs are bad or this aggressive...but I won't take that chance. You cherish your pet? Don't let it break loose and charge me. Otherwise you'll be shopping for a new pet.
    Deuce130 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Sheldon: Pepper spray is usually that little squrt can that is ok for up close and personal with a person standing in front of you. As I said before, buy a cannister of bear spray as a very good alternative to anything else in the middle of a freekin melee of growls, legs. teeth and fur. It is good to 30 ft so you have the time and it will cause a bear to stop and rethink. If is good against a bear, it should be a cakewalk against a dog.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    My "country" neighbors are bad about letting their dogs run free. A few years ago they had a chow mix that attacked & bit my son while he was riding his bike. (He still has the scars.)

I called the cops & animal control & the dog was taken & put down. It seems they haven't learned their lesson though. They have a new dog that seems to be showing similar aggressive tendencies.

My son has learned how to handle "dog" situations pretty good. I just hope history doesn't repeat itself with my daughter.

-

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    By getting your CCW you have made the decision that you would use fatal force to defend yourself against a human that you fear is going to cause you great bodily harm or death. If you are willing to defend yourself against a human, why would a dog even be a question.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Having been attacked by a dog before, I'll offer this one bit of advice. If he attacks and you don't already have the gun in your hand, you probably won't have time to get it before he gets you.
    NYCrulesU likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links