Dog Attack - Would you draw?

This is a discussion on Dog Attack - Would you draw? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Gene83 Having been attacked by a dog before, I'll offer this one bit of advice. If he attacks and you don't already ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Dog Attack - Would you draw?

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Having been attacked by a dog before, I'll offer this one bit of advice. If he attacks and you don't already have the gun in your hand, you probably won't have time to get it before he gets you.
    100% correct.

2. Remove Ads

tts

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey NY: That is why you carry potent bear spray. Easy to carry, not a CC problem, and WILL cause a dog to rethink since it will do that to a bear at 25-30 ft. Serrated knife, baton--also welcome

In my personal experience when walking I have found a cane to be invaluable for warding off rude pets. The animals either will bite my cane or turn and run when I present it to them. I have not needed my firearm yet but I have it ready if needed.

Off Topic: I find many of the posts on these dog threads very similar to threads where a shop owner shoots a teenage robber. We hear the one side proclaiming the teenager was not at fault because of poor upbringing. Or that he would not have really harmed the shop owner.

The other side jumping in proclaiming the shop owner should be able to protect himself and that it is not his responsibility to know what is in the mind of his attacker.

Michael

Would hate to do it but yes I would, especially if I had my kids with me. Living in Cali we often hear about deadly pitbull attacks all of the time.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    As soon as it starts the pepper gel is in my hand,he gets within 3-4 ft and still coming=Blast in the face. "Sorry about Fido Pal,maybe you should keep him inside untill he learns better manners". I then report to the cops what happened in case the owner tries to start something that he`ll be sorry for. Would hate to hurt an animal though But.

I carry a handgun. I do not carry anything else "less-than-lethal". If a dog charges I am clearing leather and firing until the threat is stopped. Simple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NYCrulesU likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey NY: That is why you carry potent bear spray. Easy to carry, not a CC problem, and WILL cause a dog to rethink since it will do that to a bear at 25-30 ft. Serrated knife, baton--also welcome
    I've seen dogs shot and keep attacking. As well, I've seen inmates sprayed with the most potent stuff and keep fighting. I'd rather not take a chance and play around hoping that the wind is blowing right, the dog is affected by the spray etc. Dog attacks, I shoot to kill.

Pet owners and pet lovers don't want Roscoe ventilated?

1. Be a responsible pet owner.
    2. KNOW your animal and it's temperment.
    3. Control your animal by any means neccessary.
    4. DO NOT own an animal that you cannot control 100% of the time.

I generally drive dogs off with a good offense. Kicking does wonders as long as you have good boots and placement. They vector like crap so side-stepping works well. Dogs hate getting kicked by size 13 work boots.
    The Old Anglo likes this.
    Gen 1 G17, Gen 3 G23, Gen 4 G26, 870P, MkIII 678, 10/22 Carbine

Quote Originally Posted by NYCrulesU View Post
    I have and would again.

Dog bearing down on me and/or my family...and I feel the threat is real? Same as any other threat, I will shoot it where it stands.

Edit: Some background on a past incident.

My wife and I were out taking a walk in an, "upscale" yet unfamiliar, neighborhood. We were visiting family and my wife was 8 months pregnant with our first daughter. It was winter, nice cool air..we love taking walks.

At some point during our walk I heard manic barking, then a man yelling and then I saw this dog (some kind of part pit mix breed) barreling down on us at full speed, low to the ground and hauling. Even though things slowed down to where it felt like several minutes..it all happened in seconds. I hear the guy yelling at us to run (in hind sight, he clearly knew his dog was aggressive), I grab my wife and step directly in front of her to shield her and her stomach...as the dog lunges. Not even enough time to think about drawing. He would have latched onto my inner thigh/groin had he gotten me. I managed (half luck and I guess half instincts from many years of martial arts) to grab it by the head and collar and throw it to my left. Deflecting it more or less. It hit the ground and tumbled. I drew my G19 that I was CC'ing, stepped away from my wife and towards the dog. Before it could get back to it's feet I put three rounds into it. Two to the ribs, beneath the shoulder, and one to the head.

Rest of story in nutshell...owner irrate, dozens of neighbors come out, local police arrive, gun seized at the scene, other neighbors come forward as witnesses and their own accounts of being chased back into their homes by this same dog. Turns out many complaints filed against dog and owner. No charges filed. Gun returned to me, statement signed and we were able to leave. Family member had to pick us up, by now my wife was still shaken and visibly exhausted.

These things can happen in a heartbeat. Not all dogs are bad or this aggressive...but I won't take that chance. You cherish your pet? Don't let it break loose and charge me. Otherwise you'll be shopping for a new pet.
    I had a very similair experience, except my wife wasn't pregnant, and we were walking our little 8 lb Shihtsu/Chihuaha mix on the street behind us. Very large pitbull charged, broke the small chain it was tied up with, went around me, grabbed our dog in its jaws and was shaking it to death. I also had a Glock 19, but only fired one shot. The rest is almost the same - several cops at the scene told me they would have done exactly as I had done. IIRC, the owner was cited for violation of the city's leash ordinance.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Having been attacked by a dog before, I'll offer this one bit of advice. If he attacks and you don't already have the gun in your hand, you probably won't have time to get it before he gets you.
    Absolutely! I've been there too and am still nursing a damaged rotator cuff from an attack. It happens FAST. All this stuff about pepper spray (didn't help in my case, I will be armed next time despite my employer's policy), interacting with the dog (tried the "No! Bad Dog! Go Home!" bit), and reading it's body language (why is it my responsibility to interpret "dog" and be the dog whisperer here?) is worthless. If you've identified an imminent threat, take decisive action like we all train for.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Seems like a very harsh response, especially since you are on the dog owner's property.
    I'll protect my daughter anywhere. Maybe you should think twice about having children.

Originally Posted by Gene83 Having been attacked by a dog before, I'll offer this one bit of advice. If he attacks and you don't already have the gun in your hand, you probably won't have time to get it before he gets you.
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCrulesU View Post
    100% correct.
    I agree with this. It's ALL about deployment. You simply can not get your weapon, gun, stick, spray, kick, object deployed, let alone aimed at a charging dog and under 20-30 feet you go on automatic. If there is more than one dog you are toast. Dogs, unlike people, can pick a precise time to attack you when you are most vulnerable, when the other dog has you distracted, can flank you in the blink of an eye. People say spray, shoot, but it takes forever to uncap and point most OC sprays. I carried one on my road bike but forget getting it out of my jersey pocket, making sure I was downwind and even hitting a running dog with it.

Even if you're walking you have to be downwind (spraying with the wind) or you'll get it in your face. I had several non-lethal items available during a walk with a weighted cart the other day and this woman's dog was snarling and yapping and straining to get to me, and by the time I thought about getting the spray out of the cart, turning the lever and spraying it, even though I saw him from down the road, it was too late. Fortunately, she reeled him in after letting him get about three feet from me.

At 20 feet you probably have 2 seconds to do anything. I think the best way to train for dog attacks (if you're not getting field experience as a postman, policeman, or guard dog/military), is to experience one using an attack suit, train using a moving target coming toward you (a quickly pulled burlap sack filled with sand on a rope?) possibly starting with an air-soft gun to get down the point shooting, muzzle tracking.

JMO.

RKM
    I wouldn't draw and shoot unless 100% necessary, same as a human attack. Dog's will generally back down against a good fight. They're more offensive than defensive in their attacks. Even with a dog like a German Shepherd shooting may not be needed. I think pepper spray is a much better defense against a dog than even shooting it.

I've been charged by a dog before, WAY long before I started carrying, I was maybe 17 years old. I did what I knew would make it feel uncomfortable. I squared up with it and did not run. I didn't show fear. It stopped dead, barked a few times pretty viciously then trotted away. Maybe I was lucky, but I feel what I did worked. I certainly didn't want to hurt the dog.

I think the GSD was more interested in your dog than you, and while that doesn't make things much better, risking hitting your own dog with a bullet isn't worth it. There is the 21 foot role, but than applies to the average joe. Not an 85lb, vicious machine. He'd be at you before your brain even send the signal to you arm to draw. Pepper spray would be the best weapon against an animal with such a sensitive nose. Your dog will get a does of the spray, but who cares? It will stop the attack and is far from lethal.

I feel pepper spray is FAR more useful on dogs then people. People can fight it, and have pretty easily. Dog's with their sensitivity in their nose will want nothing to do with pepper spray, plus they hate a fight.

If a firearm is what you have and it's a must, then yes. If you have options, I'd rather use a non-lethal defense first, whether that's kicking, hitting with a cane, fists, peppery spray, anything. It's not like an attack from a BG where you have a chance of getting away. You run from a dog, well, unless you're near a tree or can easily gain high ground than a dog can't, you're screwed. Defense against humans and dogs are SO different, it's not a simple aim and shoot against any type of living being. Different animals, humans included act differently when confronted. Situations will vary greatly.

Most times, from what I've seen personally, most dog attacks are a bluff. I've seen enough "dog attacks" to know that most attacks are nothing more than to show dominance with superior strength and that's it. We have a GSD and another dog. I don't even know what he is. Our neighbors seem to have a hard time keeping their dogs in their yards. Well, my dogs are bigger and stronger (GSD being 100lbs+ and the other over 80lbs) than any of the neighbors dogs. Any scuffle they've been in never results in injuries, even if the fight is absurdly unbalanced in favor of my dogs. This is just my experience, and by no means am I say to take a dog attack lightly. Dog attacks are rarely "attacks".

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post

Dog's will generally back down against a good fight.

I feel pepper spray is FAR more useful on dogs then people.

Most times, from what I've seen personally, most dog attacks are a bluff.

Dog attacks are rarely "attacks".
    Incorrect x 4.

Tell that last one to the many mauling victims (adults and children) who were simply taking their trash out, talking a walk or playing outside.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links