Dog Attack - Would you draw? - Page 5

Dog Attack - Would you draw?

This is a discussion on Dog Attack - Would you draw? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let me point out a few key words you missed in my post.... Dog's will generally back down against a good fight. I feel pepper ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Dog Attack - Would you draw?

RKM
    Let me point out a few key words you missed in my post....

Dog's will generally back down against a good fight.

I feel pepper spray is FAR more useful on dogs then people.

Most times, from what I've seen personally, most dog attacks are a bluff.

Dog attacks are rarely "attacks".
    Never said real dogs attacks don't happen.

Thanks.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Loved the answer Ongng. "Clearing leather and blasting away". Do you continue this activity after the dog has already knocked you down and is chewing on your trigger arm or your neck, or at say 25 ft when you do not even know if this will be an attack and you have less than second , or after you shoot the first bystander as you fiddle with your "leather"? Unless you live in an OC state, the firearm is still in your holster but a cane, a knife, a baton and even bear spray, which is more like a heavy stream that is not prone to casual wind and which can really stop a bear making a dog a cake walk defense, can be at the ready as you walk before anything happens.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCrulesU View Post
    Incorrect x 4.

Tell that last one to the many mauling victims (adults and children) who were simply taking their trash out, talking a walk or playing outside.
    WRONG!!!

Most charges by dogs are infact BLUFF!!!!

The real danger in when you are faced with multiple dogs who are charging at you. This is a much more dangerous scenario; and it's the type we hear about that leads to the most fatalities.

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    I think pepper spray is a much better defense against a dog than even shooting it.
    How do you carry your spray? On your belt with a quick release velcro? Too slow. In your hand thumb on the trigger? Quick enough but what about the wind direction? Ever sprayed to test it? Stream or fog? Distance?

Take a walk and have a friend shout 'NOW!!' and time how long it takes to get the spray out, turn it on and spray an object 10 feet away (like a tree or a post). If it takes you more than three seconds, then you're toast.

Practice your spraying deployment just as you would your firearm. Jog a mile then deploy on the move, etc. to simulate the stress of surprise, heavy breathing, decrease in dexterity. Only then can you say the above quote, IMO.

I've had neighbors dog get into my yard before. Used Freeze +P spray to run him off while covering with the 9mm in my strong hand. I'm glad the pepper spray worked because I'd hated to have to shoot the dog but was prepared to if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Loved the answer Ongng. "Clearing leather and blasting away". Do you continue this activity after the dog has already knocked you down and is chewing on your trigger arm or your neck, or at say 25 ft when you do not even know if this will be an attack and you have less than second , or after you shoot the first bystander as you fiddle with your leather?
    Lol, I guess this thread is not as tiresome to you as you feared, especially if you are re-reading early posts in this thread

I do open carry, in a Blackhawk! holster, so I guess I would technically be clearing injection-molded plastic. Since the rest of your post is fanciful conjecturing I'm not going to worry about that but I do want to answer your main point.

I see my post, taken by itself, makes me look like a trigger-happy internet warrior. I am sorry I gave that appearance. I was responding with the mindset that, given the fact that I do not EDC chemical sprays, that the only way I am going to defend against a dog attack is, simply, my handgun. Shooting to stop.

I do have a can of bear spray that, after reading this thread, would now consider taking for walks and such, but I have practiced drawing it and will tell you this: I will have better luck avoiding chewed body parts by drawing my handgun, if time were the only factor.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Spec: The cannister of bear spray I have is not a little lipstick case but a can a bit smaller than your usual wasp spray but a lot bigger than the lipstick pepper spray. Obviously, its contents are much greater than the legal limitations that seem to be in the laws that govern all this kind of stuff and allow for the lipstick cases, but it is a potent and heavy liquid stream designed to hit a bear at 20-30 ft and make him think about what he is doing. I asked an investigator for the prosecutor's office about the size and he indicated that its use would be preferred in any circumstance (dog or self defense) to the discharge of a firearm and its inherent lethality. The spray is not a cutsey mist prone to blowback but more like a wasp killing stream which is more like a vigorous liquid stream. The cannister has a separate holder with a slot for putting it on a belt but I just keep it in my pocket and can take it out whenever without being accused of "brandishing" which is another problem with the idea of somehow being ready to blast the dog to kingdom come.

Last night I was walking my dog around a local skiway when I hear this guy yelling. Then I see two shepherds barreling down the slope towards us. I am sick as can be and can not believe this is happening again. I try the "STOP" method as he runs right by me ( #2 stopped short of us) and goes up to my dog. One sniff and they start fighting. I had my coat on so I just tackled the shepherd and grabbed him by the collar. The owner was still calling him and I told him that I was not going to let go until he came and grabbed his dog. Every situation is going to be a bit different. In the end you do what you think is best.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcruffler View Post
    Last night I was walking my dog around a local skiway when I hear this guy yelling. Then I see two shepherds barreling down the slope towards us. I am sick as can be and can not believe this is happening again. I try the "STOP" method as he runs right by me ( #2 stopped short of us) and goes up to my dog. One sniff and they start fighting. I had my coat on so I just tackled the shepherd and grabbed him by the collar. The owner was still calling him and I told him that I was not going to let go until he came and grabbed his dog. Every situation is going to be a bit different. In the end you do what you think is best.
    Shame on you. You WAY overreacted! Because as we all know MOST charges by dogs are infact bluffs. /sarcasm.

On a serious note, were you armed? The dog attacking your dog should have been put down as soon as there was space between it and your dog.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Dog attack - Would I draw?

My arm chair quarterbacking answer, I'd like to say yes.

Real life, in the situation you describe I'd be ready. If the dog got loose and there was no way to get to safety I'd attempt to shoot it before it got too close, no question about it.

Tough to tell what I would do in a similar situation. I don't think anyone really knows.

I will agree with those who say that most perceived dog attacks are bluffs. The trouble is that I do not know which is which. Do I have to give a dog more leeway than I would a human that looks to be attacking me?
    A dog comes at me teeth bared or a human with a weapon. Same thing I am in fear for my life or great bodily harm. They both could be bluffing. Do I give the dog more time than I would the human to show its real intent?

Michael

Most definitly!

In 2008 while walking my SAR Certified Lab mix (off duty) we were attacked by 2 pitbull hybrides fought them off my K9 received 12+ bites, me one. Long term healing, thought all was ok (so did Vet) December 2010 my K9 became lethargic took him in for care and 24 hours later was dead, necropsy found infection that broke open in area of multiple bites. I will not let my partners go through this again, or anybody...

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
    How do you carry your spray? On your belt with a quick release velcro? Too slow. In your hand thumb on the trigger? Quick enough but what about the wind direction? Ever sprayed to test it? Stream or fog? Distance?

Take a walk and have a friend shout 'NOW!!' and time how long it takes to get the spray out, turn it on and spray an object 10 feet away (like a tree or a post). If it takes you more than three seconds, then you're toast.

Practice your spraying deployment just as you would your firearm. Jog a mile then deploy on the move, etc. to simulate the stress of surprise, heavy breathing, decrease in dexterity. Only then can you say the above quote, IMO.
    A firearm won't be any different. So what does it matter? And by the way I do NOT carry pepper spray. I'd mainly only use pepper spray for walking my dogs, and sadly, I don't do much of that. They're getting old and have no interest. So for now, I don't see the reason to carry spray. But if I actively walked my dogs around town, I'd keep it on the leash handle. I probably wouldn't (and don't) carry it regularly.

NYCrulesU , That was actually one of the few times I was not armed ( go figure!) This cold & fever was kicking my rear making it hard to concentrate so I felt it best to leave the iron at home. No reason for not having my walking stick though. I live in about as safe a place as you can but things still happen, and they always happen fast!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links