Dog Attack - Would you draw? - Page 6

Dog Attack - Would you draw?

This is a discussion on Dog Attack - Would you draw? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What about dog/s that don't have owners with them to 'rein them in'? What about dog/s that have gotten away from an owner's control? ............. ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Dog Attack - Would you draw?

3D
    What about dog/s that don't have owners with them to 'rein them in'?

What about dog/s that have gotten away from an owner's control?

............. 4 pit bulls destroyed for mauling 2 Calif. runners - CenturyLinkô
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Loved the answer Ongng. "Clearing leather and blasting away". Do you continue this activity after the dog has already knocked you down and is chewing on your trigger arm or your neck, or at say 25 ft when you do not even know if this will be an attack and you have less than second , or after you shoot the first bystander as you fiddle with your "leather"? Unless you live in an OC state, the firearm is still in your holster but a cane, a knife, a baton and even bear spray, which is more like a heavy stream that is not prone to casual wind and which can really stop a bear making a dog a cake walk defense, can be at the ready as you walk before anything happens.
    In my hay field I was CC when a pit bull came a charging across the field, from about 100' (it had been in the tall grass, and it is called situational awareness) barking threateningly, (yes you can tell the difference) I had cleared leather long before he got to 35' and had him CM when he slammed on the breaks at about 25' (I already had the pressure on the second stage of the HK's trigger, it was just a twitch to bang) I was not fleeing in terror as the dog expected, I screamed at him "one more inch (expletive left out) and you die" and I jumped at the dog and it ran... Said before been bit once and never again.
    GunTrooper likes this.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Until about 4 years ago, I was one of the clueless masses. I lived in a civilized area, why would I need a gun? My wife and I were out hiking in a local park and suddenly found ourselves back to back with staffs fending off 2 Dobermans and a Pitt Bull as they lunged and snapped while circling us. That was my epiphany, we were lucky that day and I decided never again!

Strangely I still hear things like, "you don't need a gun, just a leash law". My standard response is that there already is a leash law but apparently dogs don't read, who knew?
    GunTrooper likes this.

An endless debate convincing no one of anything, and going no where.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    An endless debate convincing no one of anything, and going no where.
    With that outlook, why have a forum at all? Rhetorical, of course.

I was attacked by a pit bull in the parking lot of my Business. To make a long story short as he was trying to get to me I pulled my DB9 and pointed it at him. Dogs can read body language and once he saw the 9mm pointed at his head he put on the breaks at about 2 yards. lucky the owner of the dog was in the parking lot and was able to gab him so i didnt have to shoot. I was even taking slack off the trigger at one point. That thing had jaws like a alligator! Police said I was totaly justified. Now I was by myself. If my wife or kids were with me..dead dog right on the spot!
    GunTrooper likes this.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Thank you NYC. Why did Eagle bother wasting time so that he can waste other people's time? Don't like the thread, don't read it.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    I don't hate dogs but heres how it would go. A small dog gets shooed or kicked. A medium dog gets kicked or hit as many times as possible. A big dog as in your case, if he gets loose he's probably got you before you can react so brace yourself for the inital contact. Arm comes up to shield and when he latches on out comes the tactical knife. I should be able to controll where it is and where it goes. A gun in this situation is not for me, others may have been attracted by the attack and I do not want to put anyone elses life in danger.

Maybe I should start a new thread ..... but it seems fitting here .....
    WOULD YOU HAVE SHOT MY DOG ???

We took a Siberian from the pound to save his life. But, we quickly found he liked to "run" if he had any chance and probably why he was turned into the pound. He wouldn't hurt anyone unless.... you were trying to hurt part of his family, then he was very protective as we learned ... when someone tried to break into the house, etc. I had him in a 6 ft fenced area (just for periods) so he could get exercise, and found he would climb or jump it. So, I put him in a larger kennel, with the fence buried & staked well under ground level, 8 ft fence with a top. He forced his way to push the stakes, the fence and everything out of the ground , which took an amazing amount of strength to "get out" one day.

My daughter had put him out there for a little bit and called me to let me know what he did and that he was "out". I was on the way home from work and told her I would be there shortly to help look for him too. When I was about there, I got a call from her and she said she got a call and the Police said they had him and she needed to come down there. She told me she would call me when she knew more, but it didn't sound good.

She got there and there were 3 police officers (at a school for the mentally challenged) and a mother with a son and daughter, and people were crying. They asked "is this your dog ? ", and she told them "it's my father's" (sluffed that one off didn't she). They told her ... well, let us tell you what we know happened......

The "girl" was walking home, and a guy (she did not know) stopped in his car and tried to get her to come to the car, and she wouldn't. So, he jumped out of his car and ran up to grab her, and was dragging her to his car as she was screaming at the top of her lungs ..... when Timber (the Siberian) ran out from the bushes (all 85 lbs) full blast and leaped into the guys chest , knocking him down and her loose from his grip. When the guy tried to get back up and grab her, the dog showed teeth , growled and went at the guy .... and stayed between him and the girl the entire time.

Did the guy give up ? NO ! ! ! He went for the girl and got ahold of her leg (she tripped as she jumped back) and the dog..... chunked into the calf of the attacker and would not let go. The girl reported the guy was screaming bloody murder as he tried to go back to his car, dragging the 85 lb Siberian Husky that had a death grip into his leg, along with him. There was a blood trail at the scene, so he got him good. The guy then raced away in his car.

She, took the dog by the collar and kept him with her all of the way to this nearby school and told them what happened, and the police arrived. The Police notified hospitals and Minor ER rooms to watch for a guy with one really torn up leg and bite wounds. No one knew the vehicle, nor the guy from his discription.

The girls brother (7 yrs old) walked over (in tears) to my daughter and told her, " I want to thank your dog for saving my sister's life".

Now, if you had seen him attacking this man......... or acting "vicious" (as many here say) as he fended off the man from being able to get to the girl..... Would YOU have shot my dog (not knowing what was going on ) ? Would you have assumed the dog was at fault and visciously attacking someone, because of your view of dogs ? Would your first instinct have been to shoot the dog ?

If you would have ... you are biased about dogs, and your 'situational assessment' isn't what it should be. You are acting on false assumptions and biases that aren't necessarily based in reality.

Personally, I was feeding him steak for a month, and several people wanted to award him a medal by the city, which was refused. And we, didn't let him be alone out in the kennel ever again, so he couldn't bust out. The dog has been deceased now for about 6 yrs.
    DarthMuffin likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Sponsored Links