Dog Attack - Would you draw?

This is a discussion on Dog Attack - Would you draw? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night my wife and I were taking the dog and some groceries into the apartment. A lady with a big German Sheppard (too big ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Dog Attack - Would you draw?

Question Dog Attack - Would you draw?

Last night my wife and I were taking the dog and some groceries into the apartment. A lady with a big German Sheppard (too big for her) was working hard to not let the dog get loose. It was barking its head off and pulling on his leash in our direction (about 15 yards away). My dog (an over weight bulldog) didn't have a clue or a care in the world. I pulled my wife behind me and the dog, putting myself between them and the barking dog. I firmly believe that dog would have attacked us if that dog got loose. As we hurried to our apartment, I noticed that my wife was really concerned and she asked if I was carrying. To my surprise, she quickly made sure that I was going to put that dog down if it was loose and coming to attack us. We both love dogs and would hate to have to kill one, but if not, the prospects of a mauling and painful hospital time doesn’t sound appealing either.

Besides the fact that the dog would have gotten to us before I could drop the groceries, draw and fire an aimed shot… are there any issues with protecting family and self with deadly force from a dog?
    Carry: Sig P238
    Home: Stoeger Couger 8000F 9mm

2. Remove Ads

I carry pepper spray. If that didn't work I would shoot it. But It usually does. Never had a pack o dogs attack me but I've had a Massiff, German Shepard and various mutts before. The spay has always worked
    marcclarke likes this.

My only thought of trying to hit a target moving as fast as a dog, keeping in mind that i am responsible for every stray bullet, and that old lady somewhere in front of my muzzle, i think getting every one into the aparment was a good move. But as for in general, dog could cause great bodily harm, sounds with in limits of the law to me, as long as its justified and not just shooting the neighbors poodle cause it wont shut up....
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

This should clear it up....
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

That has been one concern of mine too. My wife witnessed a person 2 houses down from us have their dog attacked by another dog. The dog attacking got away from the owner. The owner of the dog being attacked was trying to free them and stop the fight, but the owner was an elder person and shock seemed to set in.

Sorry to say that the dog that got attacked limped away with blood. And the dog doing the attack was finally pulled away when the owner came, but the owner then quickly fled with the dog.

I believe you did what was right. The best way to win a fight is to not go looking for one. That includes discharging your gun. But if you were not able to evade and get inside. If you were cornered and the only way to get home was through an aggressive dog where you may come out with severe bodily damage..... then I might just discharge my sidearm at the dog.
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

In a situation like that, I probably wouldn't shoot the dog unless it was already attacking me. For example, if it had its teeth dug into my leg and I couldn't get it off, I'd shoot it. It would be rather stationary at that point anyway.

I guess the problem with dogs are it is difficult to tell if they are going to actually attack until it is too late.

Pepper spray would be preferable but I don't always have that on me.

I don't consider a dog to typically be a lethal threat. Don't get me wrong, they can kill a person, especially a child. But most of the time dog bites are just a painful nuisance. So when trying to compare that threat next to, say, a man with a knife or gun. Well, that is quite different. I guess the point is, I usually give a dog the benefit of the doubt as to whether it wants to just chase me and bark at me, or whether it is really going to attack me. I've only ever been bitten once when I was about 12. It barely broke the skin through my jeans.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Wife, dog, dog wife..... Yeah, the dog's going down, or least to the vet. Would I want to, absolutely not, big-time animal lover; but If the animal was too large for me to handle hand to hand then yes, I'd shoot the dog.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Wife, dog, dog wife..... Yeah, the dog's going down, or least to the vet. Would I want to, absolutely not, big-time animal lover; but If the animal was too large for me to handle hand to hand then yes, I'd shoot the dog.
    This is the winning answer.....
    marcclarke likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I'd drop it like a bad habit if I had to do so.
    JerryMac likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Florida law makes no distinction between people or dogs (or anything else for that matter) when it comes to a deadly threat or serious bodily harm.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Shoot a dog? Yeah, if absolutely necessary. But that would be last resort for me. I'd be worried about missing the aggressor dog and hitting wife or my own dog or bystander, as there would surely be some fast action at that point. And yes, I train, and I'm a good shot, but I'd rather not be shooting in this situation. A good hard kick might suffice just fine, rather than a bullet.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

VIP Member
    You can die from a dog attack, happens ALL THE TIME. Doesn't matter if it's 2 or 4 legs if it attacks, I defend myself.
    GunTrooper likes this.

In my yard,vivious dog threatening and owner having a hard time controlling it,If I feel threatened enough I will draw my 1911 and hold it straight down at my side as I try to get an object between me and the dog as I move towards my door,dog gets loose and comes on my property under TX law I have the right to stop the threat.
    Dog bites are not just a nuisance,you have no idea if the dog is up on their shots,and a bite that breaks the skin will allow any bacteria on the dogs teeth to enter the bite
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by odeaar View Post
    Last night my wife and I were taking the dog and some groceries into the apartment. A lady with a big German Sheppard (too big for her) was working hard to not let the dog get loose. It was barking its head off and pulling on his leash in our direction (about 15 yards away). My dog (an over weight bulldog) didn't have a clue or a care in the world. I pulled my wife behind me and the dog, putting myself between them and the barking dog. I firmly believe that dog would have attacked us if that dog got loose. As we hurried to our apartment, I noticed that my wife was really concerned and she asked if I was carrying. To my surprise, she quickly made sure that I was going to put that dog down if it was loose and coming to attack us. We both love dogs and would hate to have to kill one, but if not, the prospects of a mauling and painful hospital time doesn’t sound appealing either.

Besides the fact that the dog would have gotten to us before I could drop the groceries, draw and fire an aimed shot… are there any issues with protecting family and self with deadly force from a dog?
    Neighbor's Dangerous Dog

Yep....shoot the dog if it shows aggression towards you or your wife.

Also, recommend getting familiar with your local laws.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I love PEACEFUL dogs,,,,, mean dogs are a different story,,,,, know a policeman that almost
    lost a hand from infection from a dog bite,,,,, had several months off work with much time in the
    hospital,,,,, all that could have been avoided if he had shot the dog.

If he had advanced to an uncomfortable distance ,,,, I would shoot him,,,, be sorry to do it.
    “A few elitists shouldn't rule the many. ”
    Better to have a 380 in your pocket than a 45 at HOME.
    When seconds count, police are minutes away.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links