In My County, Guns To Protect Property And Catch Bad Guys

This is a discussion on In My County, Guns To Protect Property And Catch Bad Guys within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Deadly force gets a liberal interpretation here when dealing with burglars. Check out the gun in the video. County Dealing With Dozens Of Break-Ins Within ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: In My County, Guns To Protect Property And Catch Bad Guys

VIP Member

In My County, Guns To Protect Property And Catch Bad Guys

Deadly force gets a liberal interpretation here when dealing with burglars. Check out the gun in the video.

County Dealing With Dozens Of Break-Ins Within 3 Weeks | NBC 4i

2. Remove Ads

This makes a point I cite many time here on DC . I'll bet the citizen in the video isn't a poster here, and probably doesn't practice with dry fire drills and weekly range sessions. I'll bet he couldn't pick Mas Ayoob out of a two-man line up with the other person being Santa Claus, yet here he is defending himself and his property with a firearm.

Madmac, i have to agree with you. I have a co-worker here in WI. That just got his application approved for ccw. We get into coversations about exactly what you stated. His "trainning" for his ccp... Hunters safety course..... i am steadily talking to my friends and others to read the books to join forums, good information on what materials, training programs, list goes on.... and you know what the majority tells me... they already had their training. My biggest fear in WI are those people who think hunter safety is where it should stop.... No leagal information on when to shoot, escalation of force, use of deadly force, nothing....... but now they have a gun and think they will be with-in law if they use it....
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Quote Originally Posted by jerp View Post
    Madmac, i have to agree with you. I have a co-worker here in WI. That just got his application approved for ccw. We get into coversations about exactly what you stated. His "trainning" for his ccp... Hunters safety course..... i am steadily talking to my friends and others to read the books to join forums, good information on what materials, training programs, list goes on.... and you know what the majority tells me... they already had their training. My biggest fear in WI are those people who think hunter safety is where it should stop.... No leagal information on when to shoot, escalation of force, use of deadly force, nothing....... but now they have a gun and think they will be with-in law if they use it....
    I am not saying it's necessarily a bad thing being your average Joe Sixpack gun owner and little or no training. That said, I am in full-fledged support of the list above that I highlighted. Knowing when you can use your firearm is, IMHO, far more important than all the quick-draw, hand-to-hand courses you can take.

Living in the country as I do, the person or persons stealing from me will know I have a firearm when they hear the first very loud bang. After that it's up to them what happens. This might be a case where the 3S rule would apply.
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

Using a firearm to protect property?... Catch bad guys? Really?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Using a firearm to protect property?... Catch bad guys? Really?
    After watching the video, those would seem to be the conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Deadly force gets a liberal interpretation here when dealing with burglars. Check out the gun in the video.

County Dealing With Dozens Of Break-Ins Within 3 Weeks | NBC 4i
    Name the "gun" he's got... what a .25?
    It could be worse.
    "A law that burdens the exercise of an enumerated constitutional right by simply making that right more difficult to exercise cannot be considered “reasonably adapted” to a government interest, no matter how substantial that interest may be."
    Wollard V Sheridan

In some states (Texas for one) it is legal to protect private property using deadly force. Though I have no personal experience with the practice, I have no problem with the idea. I cannot abide people who believe that for which I have worked hard is theirs for the taking.
    The reward for work well done is more work.

VIP Member
    Ohio law does not allow one to escalate to deadly force in order to protect property. This story, however would make it seem as though the police and prosecutors at some point allow some discretion in the interpretation of that law. Not a complaint, mind you, but merely an example of no law being absolute, or its interpretation black-and-white.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Sometimes one has to put one's foot down--by whatever means it takes.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

One certainly cannot protect property here in FL (unlike TX), but when inspecting for a possible loss of property, one may be forced to defend one's life from a dirtbag who doesn't want inspectors around while he's 'working'...too bad!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmrj View Post
    In some states (Texas for one) it is legal to protect private property using deadly force. Though I have no personal experience with the practice, I have no problem with the idea. I cannot abide people who believe that for which I have worked hard is theirs for the taking.
    Georgia, too, sort of. See b) below

From Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org

O.C.G.A. § 16-3-24
    Use of force in defense of property other than a habitation
    (a) A person is justified in threatening or using force against another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes that such threat or force is necessary to prevent or terminate such other's trespass on or other tortious or criminal interference with real property other than a habitation or personal property:

(1) Lawfully in his possession;

(2) Lawfully in the possession of a member of his immediate family; or

(3) Belonging to a person whose property he has a legal duty to protect.

(b) The use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to prevent trespass on or other tortious or criminal interference with real property other than a habitation or personal property is not justified unless the person using such force reasonably believes that it is necessary to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Georgia, too, sort of. See b) below

From Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org

O.C.G.A. § 16-3-24
    Use of force in defense of property other than a habitation
    (a) A person is justified in threatening or using force against another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes that such threat or force is necessary to prevent or terminate such other's trespass on or other tortious or criminal interference with real property other than a habitation or personal property:

(1) Lawfully in his possession;

(2) Lawfully in the possession of a member of his immediate family; or

(3) Belonging to a person whose property he has a legal duty to protect.

(b) The use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to prevent trespass on or other tortious or criminal interference with real property other than a habitation or personal property is not justified unless the person using such force reasonably believes that it is necessary to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.
    Appears that the catch here is your state definition of "forcible felony." In FL it's rather broad.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Ohio law does not allow one to escalate to deadly force in order to protect property. This story, however would make it seem as though the police and prosecutors at some point allow some discretion in the interpretation of that law. Not a complaint, mind you, but merely an example of no law being absolute, or its interpretation black-and-white.
    This puts interpretation of the law at the caprice of those in power instead of a grand jury or trial jury. The law should be changed to protect the citizen; and the DA/LE should need overwhelming and compelling reasons to prosecute, not the other way around.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links