Gun drawn this evening (Police involved, Good outcome)

This is a discussion on Gun drawn this evening (Police involved, Good outcome) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wanted to wait until this hashed out before I made a post. Luckily 'Castle Doctrine' saved my butt. I was at home watching a ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree271Likes

Thread: Gun drawn this evening (Police involved, Good outcome)

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Thumbs up Gun drawn this evening (Police involved, Good outcome)

I wanted to wait until this hashed out before I made a post. Luckily 'Castle Doctrine' saved my butt. I was at home watching a movie alone when there was a knock on the door. My girlfriends daughters friends (since she was away for the weekend) were the one's knocking. Here lately I've been calling my girlfriends daughter my "Stepdaughter" because it's how I feel about her. I look thru the peephole and recognize them and let them in.

I live in a split level. You come in a main door. There is a common foyer. There is a door to the right for the downstairs neighbors and steps up to my second level apartment. I am always open carrying in the house, it's second nature.

Well they went on on and about what happened... (insert teenage drama here)

The 4 or so teenagers that were after them for some reason decided to come into the foyer after the girls yelling profanities. After my stepdaughters friends were inside and safe I told the other teens to get lost. They ignored me and proceeded up the steps with what appeared to be some form of cheap flip knife in his hand (I later found out it was a stiletto).

My 1911 instantly cleared the SERPA pointed at his center of mass. I STERNLY instructed them to leave or this is going to get really ugly (I used a little more colorful choice of words). As the old saying goes “First they said it, then they did it”. They made haste out of there. Meanwhile my stepdaughters friend had called the police who had arrived as the 4 hoodlums were leaving.

I explained the situation to one officer, the 4 teens did as well as did my stepdaughters friends. The 4 teens said I was going to shoot them, which I advised the police officer that it appeared one of the teens brandished a weapon and I was simply prepared to defend myself if need be. They searched the initial aggressor and found a stiletto and about a dime bag of marijuana. Needless to say he got a shiny new pair of silver bracelets.

The police took my info, told the other 3 kids to get lost and not to come back around. I remember one thing the LEO said to the kid. He said “You're lucky he didn't shoot you, because in this state it would have been justifiable”.

Afterward's the officers and I had a chat. No charges were pressed against me and I was on my way. They said that was a text book example of a legal way to ward off perps.

The girls mom came by to pick them up and that was that. He did say I'll get something in the mail from the court about this but I’m not sure what.

Want to talk about a heart pumper... that was it.
    Last edited by Pro2A; November 26th, 2011 at 10:19 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Man, glad everything went well and the best part is you didn't have to fire... textbook clean in my opinion.

Nice work all the way around, unfortunate incident but could have been very ugly had you not been prepared.

This story makes me proud of a fellow responsible gun owner.

Excellent preparation and outcome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That something from the court may be a supoena to appear to testify against the knife wielding punk... no biggie... Of course, he'll say something like, "He had a gun on me, I had to defend myself." But your witnesses will corroborate your story, I'm sure...

Clean HD... glad it all worked out for you.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Glad to hear everything worked out and I'[m sure there is at least one teenage punk glad you were not too quick to pull the trigger. Excellent control of the situation and gald everyone is safe!
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Glad everyone is safe and it didn't turn any uglier for you.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Great example. Do you ever worry about retaliation on your property later on?
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit2011 View Post
    Great example. Do you ever worry about retaliation on your property later on?
    Honestly, no. For one we live in town. There are rows upon rows of houses. In conjunction with about 50 cars parked along the street, these kids which I have never seen will unlikely know which vehicle is mine. Regardless if they do, the LEO's down the street are aware of the situation as they were the responding officers (I literally am 2 houses down on the opposite side of the street from the local PD station. You can see their cruisers from my living room window). In addition if they decide to damage anything I have full coverage on my vehicle and renters insurance.

Edit: Not to mention these are punks my stepdaughter and friends know.

Glad it turned out ok and you did very well.

Castle Doctrine is the best law on the books for the home owner trying to defend his home.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Excellent Job,Congrats!!!.

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    Glad it turned out ok and you did very well.

Castle Doctrine is the best law on the books for the home owner trying to defend his home.
    Technically it was in the foyer, not in the residence, but regardless PA was clear with 'Stand Your Ground'. If you are legally aloud to be in XYZ place and you feel a threat to your person or death, you can defend yourself with deadly force is necessary. Also this kid was maybe 15. Lets say I did engage and sent him to meet his maker, would the fact he was a minor have an impact on how it would have turned out? I mean 'Castle Doctrine' is 'Castle Doctrine' right?

Pennsylvania has a provision that if you defend yourself legally, the perp and/or his family can not sue you in court for damages. How about a minor?

The nerve.. they enter the home uninvited, brandishing a weapon, they refuse to leave and they call the cops on you? Where was the guy with weed when they called the popo? Probably thinking they were victimized and wouldn't be searched. They can count their blessings.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

I don't get it. You had to draw down on teenagers? Teenagers that are "friends" with your teenagers?

Seems like you need to spend some more time parenting your teenagers.

I raised kids and am now on the next generation.

I never had to yank out my pistol to control teenagers.

I know all the cheerleaders here will tell you what a great dad you are for "protecting" your kids with a firearm, but my personal opinion is that your parenting skills failed long before you yanked out your gun.

Not to nit-pick....

Quote Originally Posted by paching View Post
    The nerve.. they enter the home uninvited, brandishing a weapon,
    They entered the foyer coming up the steps to my door where they knew my stepdaughters friends were hiding for their safety.

they refuse to leave and they call the cops on you?
    My stepdaughters one friend was the one that called the police on them.

Where was the guy with weed when they called the popo? Probably thinking they were victimized and wouldn't be searched. They can count their blessings.
    He was getting ready to leave, but my stepdaughters friend gave the description of the kid to the dispatcher. The police intercepted him on the way out of the foyer and detained him during the investigation. The police station is about a 45 second walk from my building.

Couldn't have had a better outcome. Well done!
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Links