Denny's Shootout - Houston - Page 3

Denny's Shootout - Houston

This is a discussion on Denny's Shootout - Houston within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Chad Rogers Nothing to add to this. Engage the dirtbags in the restaurant if I had some cover and the upper hand? ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Denny's Shootout - Houston

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    Nothing to add to this.

Engage the dirtbags in the restaurant if I had some cover and the upper hand? It's what I believe I live for. Chase them outside the restaurant? Highly unlikely.
    The only thing I see wrong with this statement is exactly what kind of "cover" can you find in a Denny's? The cheap particle board booth backs? The slightly thicker particle board table tops? I suppose if you could flip over a table and get behind it without drawing attention to yourself then draw you would have concealment and very marginal "cover". Would it stop a handgun round, not likely but it might reduce penetration enough to increase your odds of surviving the wound.

Someone once said here that if your in a knife fight you should expect to be cut. I think it makes sense to assume that if your going to enter into a gun fight your likely to be shot. You need to mentally prepare yourself to keep going in the event you are shot because stopping once the fight has started, if the bad guys are not down, is going to get you killed for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    It's very difficult for me to speculate what my actions would be other than; it's not my money and "Denny's" is responsible for its business practices and security. I'm not in the business of "to protect and serve". If I'm there with my family my intent is first and foremost to make them safe. IMO, that's best served by trying to safely escape if possible and/or finding close cover. If and only if, the armed robbers direct me and/or my family to relocate, separate or the like, I would not know their intentions and would have to assume the worst nightmare possible and deter their plans by use of force. As we all know, plans can change at a moments notice...
    I have to chime in here. Obviously different scenarios would determine my course of action. Do I have cover? Is my family with me? Which gun do I have with me? Etc.

However, I believe that when possible citizens should fight crime when it comes our way. If we just always run away from crime, or give in to the criminals such as handing them the money and begging them not to hurt us, we are inviting more of the same. I believe we have a duty to stand up and say NO MORE! If we don't do it, then who will?
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    The only thing I see wrong with this statement is exactly what kind of "cover" can you find in a Denny's? The cheap particle board booth backs? The slightly thicker particle board table tops? I suppose if you could flip over a table and get behind it without drawing attention to yourself then draw you would have concealment and very marginal "cover". Would it stop a handgun round, not likely but it might reduce penetration enough to increase your odds of surviving the wound.

Someone once said here that if your in a knife fight you should expect to be cut. I think it makes sense to assume that if your going to enter into a gun fight your likely to be shot. You need to mentally prepare yourself to keep going in the event you are shot because stopping once the fight has started, if the bad guys are not down, is going to get you killed for sure.
    I don't care if all I have is a table cloth, I'm getting behind it! Any concealment is better than nothing. Getting behind a part of a wall or table will be instinct and though it won't stop most handgun bullets, it will take some of the velocity out of it and likely plug a hollow point on the off chance some dirt bag has decent ammunition.

In a fight, you're gonna get hurt. Most likely shot in the hand or arm if your lucky, or torso or head if you're unluckily. But, being shot does not mean we're out of the fight, it just means we are one step closer to being incapacitated. The adrenaline pumping, we'll have more than enough time to close a fight with most wounds from a typical handgun bullet. Seeing as something like 87% of people survive being shot by a handgun, there's a good chance we'll prevail if we have the training and mindset and are committed to the fight.

Now, hopefully we won't even have to deal with any of this seeing as something like 98% of bank/store/restaurant robberies end with no shots being fired, but it's that 1 or 2% we need to prepare for. It'll happen to one of us and statistics say that 8 of the 32 that have replied (well, less since some have replied multiple times, so let's just say 25% of us) will be the victim of a violent crime.

I've been the target of 3 already with 2 requiring a firearm to end it, so hopefully a few extra percent of you are safe!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

People also have a natural psychological tendency to only shoot at what they can see.

People will often not attempt to shoot through concealment even though common sense clearly indicates it is not hardened cover.

Short of finding any solid cover, I'm definitely going to utilize any available concealment to my advantage.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    People also have a natural psychological tendency to only shoot at what they can see.

People will often not attempt to shoot through concealment even though common sense clearly indicates it is not hardened cover.
    Smart post, thx.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Just a comment about shooting the vehicle. Maybe I missed it but I don't recall seeing anywhere a statement that said where in the vehicle the bullet holes are or if the vehicle was moving (and if so what direction) when the vehicle was hit.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Normally if I'm in a place like that I sit in the back area. If I happen to be in the back when I would just go hide in the bathroom OR leave out the back door.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I think most people will jerk the trigger because they never been in a shootout and they read too about what happens afterwards

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links