Self Defence

This is a discussion on Self Defence within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SIXTO I would hope that once one makes it to college they would have a better handle on sentence structure and the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Self Defence

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I would hope that once one makes it to college they would have a better handle on sentence structure and the spelling of very easy words.

2. Remove Ads

Self-defense is a natural instinct. If we would stop teaching children from an early age that they should not fight back would we need a college course?
    We teach kids starting in preschool that retaliation is always bad. That the only recourse to being attacked is to tell someone in authority, government, and let them deal with it. We ban or attempt to ban teasing and name calling. We take winning out of sports, which by the way are a somewhat civilized way to learn warfare, in an attempt to take away their natural aggression.

Is it no wonder that by the time they reach college they have lost the ability to defend themselves? That they believe that self-defense is calling 911 or telling a teacher that someone touched me in a bad place?

It makes no sense to me to spend all of a persons early learning period removing their natural instinct of self preservation. Then trying to put it back when they become a young adult.

Michael
    WHEC724, 3D, Hopyard and 1 others like this.

3D
    I interpret your post as expressing SteveMarshal's need/desire to obtain the ability to protect himself.
    If that's correct then hooray for that important first step.

Tell me what do you say on this ?
    I say it's your responsibility, not the college's. Daunting as that may seem to you right now it is part of the process. You must mobilize the personal determination to exert the necessary effort and discipline to find out how, where, when.... and then follow through with practice and more effort.

Go for it.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I am not seeing a connection with either concealed carry in general, or concealed carry guns in particular.
    Why not. I recently had my son's Taekwondo instructor (soon to be 7th Degree Black Belt), and the owner of the Taekwondo school in my CHL class.
    They both realize that there are times that all the hand to hand skills in the world just won't do. Like others have said, it is a mindset first that has to be there, then you can work with whatever tools you choose to employ.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

What gets me is that you can't have a weapon on campus, BUT they have ARCHERY classes and those are weapons. Hmmmm?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    Absolutely correct when one considers the generally liberal agenda of most universities. As you mentioned, we would watch the slow downward evolution of "MA" from "Martial Arts" to "Mediation Arts". But then, the psychological approach would soon be challenged by the philosophical school to further downgrade MA to "Meditation Arts" designed to train students to intently focus good karma on a potential attacker. Soon the pacifists would end up having the last training session to take MA on down to "Masochistic Arts" where trainees learn how to deliver a crushing blow to an opponent's knee using only their testicles as a weapon.
    Nah, don't get carried away. Don't paint with an overly broad brush. I know a guy who had a private MA academy and a contract to teach MA at a College.

It isn't the 1960s now, and lots of young people want military careers. Some of these will take MA classes as part of their ROTC training. Many pursue careers in aspects of criminal justice in which they need to know SD. And some pursue programs in PE with the intent of becoming coaches and teachers, and will take MA classes as electives if they are available.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Why not. I recently had my son's Taekwondo instructor (soon to be 7th Degree Black Belt), and the owner of the Taekwondo school in my CHL class.
    They both realize that there are times that all the hand to hand skills in the world just won't do. Like others have said, it is a mindset first that has to be there, then you can work with whatever tools you choose to employ.
    Funny, I got to MA the opposite way around. I realized there were too many situations in which the gun would not be appropriate device, or it might not work.

(See the baseball bat attack thread. The Aikido link in there has some good stuff. Played with that for an hour this morning.)

One of the sad things is that many if not most gun folks won't touch MA, and many MA addicts think we gun folks are nuts or that guns just aren't for them.

SD requires the whole "enchilada." It is a continuum in which any one situation can rapidly change with regard to which "tool" is most appropriate.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links