Self Defence

This is a discussion on Self Defence within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think that students must be given technique and the skills to protect their selves and self defense in their colleges with their studies. Tell ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Self Defence

Self Defence

I think that students must be given technique and the skills to protect their selves and self defense in their colleges with their studies.
    Tell me what do you say on this ?

2. Remove Ads

That would be a real plus for the folks that are mature enough to take on the responsability of concealed gun carry.
    I am assuming that is what you meant, but other self defense techniques would definitely help.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveMarshal View Post
    I think that students must be given technique and the skills to protect their selves and self defense in their colleges with their studies.
    Tell me what do you say on this ?
    It needs to start in elementary school. In JHS and in HS there could be MA classes either as part of PE or in lieu of general PE. Most --I think all-- colleges have now dumped mandatory PE classes. People that age can make their own decisions and get training at plenty of private facilities if they are inclined.

Where I live we have a College with a large contingent of ROTC students. The more serious ones often enroll in private MA and private gyms to enhance their chances of obtaining the slots they want.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Administrator
    I don't think students (or anybody for that matter) should be given anything. The knowledge and tools are already there for the taking, one just has to have the initiative to seek them out and employ.

I do agree with Hopyard and starting early. 95% of survival is mindset. And the earlier you start, the better it is. We as a society have had the wrong approach on this for years. Slowly, it is changing though.
    bakes likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    training, training, training, training.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I don't think students (or anybody for that matter) should be given anything. The knowledge and tools are already there for the taking, one just has to have the initiative to seek them out and employ.
    ^ This. Besides, we already have a training program for kids where they can choose from the Marines, Army, Navy, Air Force or Coast Guard. In turn they serve their country.

I went to college for academics, not to learn how to fight or defend myself.

If you want to learn defensive skills, go ahead, take a class and train, but a University is probably not the place to do so.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

My stance would be not to make it mandatory. While a good idea yes, I don't like another group or board that thinks they can force someone to take a class (relevant or not) just because they feel it is important.

I believe the option should be there and those who are interested would have the resources available to take the classes.

If we made it mandatory for a individual to take a self defense class then we should take it one step further. Everyone at the age of 18 is a member of our military until 21. :-)
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    take a class and train, but a University is probably not the place to do so.
    haha yeah that's because they'd probably have you study the history of self defense followed by cause and affect to self defense and to top it off.... physics to self defense. :-)
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbit2011 View Post
    haha yeah that's because they'd probably have you study the history of self defense followed by cause and affect to self defense and to top it off.... physics to self defense. :-)
    Oh geez. You're right, and don't forget ethics. By the time academia get's their hooks into it, they'll be training you to attempt to reason and better understand the childhood of your attacker before beginning any escalation of force.
    boscobeans likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Oh geez. You're right, and don't forget ethics. By the time academia get's their hooks into it, they'll be training you to attempt to reason and better understand the childhood of your attacker before beginning any escalation of force.
    Absolutely correct when one considers the generally liberal agenda of most universities. As you mentioned, we would watch the slow downward evolution of "MA" from "Martial Arts" to "Mediation Arts". But then, the psychological approach would soon be challenged by the philosophical school to further downgrade MA to "Meditation Arts" designed to train students to intently focus good karma on a potential attacker. Soon the pacifists would end up having the last training session to take MA on down to "Masochistic Arts" where trainees learn how to deliver a crushing blow to an opponent's knee using only their testicles as a weapon.
    sdprof likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Don't forget, it's a given that some faction will just naturally be offended by the idea. The PC crowd and their media backers will rip your lungs out.

My daughters are 4 & 3 and are both in martial arts. Hopefully they will continue all the way through their adult years. Wish there was Aikido locally, past what I will teach them. My wife has trained with me since we met, I was teaching women's self defense at the time. No victims in this household.
    WHEC724 likes this.

Administrator
    I would hope that once one makes it to college they would have a better handle on sentence structure and the spelling of very easy words.
    INccwchris and bakes like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I am not seeing a connection with either concealed carry in general, or concealed carry guns in particular.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links