"I carry my weapon to defend only myself and my loved ones" Do you agree?

This is a discussion on "I carry my weapon to defend only myself and my loved ones" Do you agree? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I've been involved in this forum I often see the comment "I carry my weapon to defend only myself and my loved ones". I've ...

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: "I carry my weapon to defend only myself and my loved ones" Do you agree?

Sponsor

"I carry my weapon to defend only myself and my loved ones" Do you agree?

As I've been involved in this forum I often see the comment "I carry my weapon to defend only myself and my loved ones". I've been thinking about this for a while and still struggle with the concept.

I would first like to say that I without a doubt prioritize the life of my wife and other family members and in any situation where they would be at risk, getting them to a safe location would be my number one goal. But what about a situation where they are not present? How would I act then?

I feel that in a situation where the aggressor was painfully obvious I would step in. I know what some of you will say "well how can you be sure?", 'you putting yourself at risk", "you're trying to be a vigilante". I understand that there are risks, but I can tell you this. I sure as hell am not going to stand idly by while an innocent person is raped/murdered when I had the capacity to intervene and possibly save a life. Sure, this thought defiantly opens me up to greater risk, both physically and legally, but for me I'm motivated by something a bit higher than that.

I'm not looking to get into a discussion about situations you may possibly intervene in and what could go wrong, that conversation can go on for ages.

What do you think? Have you decided you would step in during certain situations? or have you decided that you are only going to protect yourself and your loved ones?

Thanks, I look forward to hearing what you think,
    Clay

2. Remove Ads

That depends entirely on the circumstances, and how much knowledge I have about what is going on.

But in general, no, I am not going to watch someone get executed if I can prevent it. But if I have small children or others in two, my only priority is getting them, and myself to safety.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    Well we have a basic moral obligation to defend the weak and defenseless. Who would not intervene, even at some risk, to save a child?? I could not live with myself if I felt i had let a child die. Of course I understand the reluctance, and maybe it is sensible in a way. But we were not commanded by the Lord to "Be sensible to one another as I have been sensible to you." He wasn't sensible, I would say!
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

My honest answer, loved ones without a doubt. My kids growing up without a father for whatever reason isn't something I take lightly.

I'm pretty sure I'd call 911 and be a good witness. I'm not a cop, I don't even play one on TV. My permit does not give me any special rights other than to carry a gun.

Would I feel awful, of course. But I'd live to see my children grow up. I'm sure they would appreciate that as well.

Sorry you chose not to carry and protect yourself, it's not my problem or responsibilty to protect you but I will call those who can and who also have insurance for this sort of thing in case it goes bad.

I think my old LEO responses would kick in rather quickly!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I feel as a Christian American male it is my responsibility to defend the innocent and defenseless. This feeling may not come from being Christian or American maybe it is just
    my nature or some other aspect of how I was raised but I do believe it is my duty. As the op mentioned my loved ones are my highest priority but if put in a situation where
    I could save someone I hope that I will have the courage to do so.

I'm not a sheep dog. If i was to intervene, it would be only if I felt safe enough to do so....otherwise, no one died and made me a cop! I cant even guarantee I would stick around to be a good witness.

No way to blanket answer that question, it all depends upon who and what's going on .... where, how bad the threat is and the type of threat, proximity, capability to act, if it's better to call 911, etc.

And, sometimes... you have 1-2 seconds at most to decide.

I expect your inclinations and instincts will come into play , more than anything else.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    No way to blanket answer that question, it all depends upon who and what's going on .... where, how bad the threat is and the type of threat, proximity, capability to act, if it's better to call 911, etc.

And, sometimes... you have 1-2 seconds at most to decide.

I expect your inclinations and instincts will come into play , more than anything else.
    Exactly.

Many states have the "in your shoes" clause that allows you to exercise deadly force to prevent another from suffering death or grave injury during the commission of a felony. Unfortunately, many who have escaped criminal prosecution for discharging their weapon did not fare so well in civil court. $25K is not an unreasonable amount of money to spend defending yourself against litigious vermin. Also, how many times can a bystander get drawn into a DV episode and find both parties beating on them? My point is: it better be a good case of bystander justice to get me involved, although anyone brandishing instantly piques my target acquisition interests.....

VIP Member
    This has been discussed and discussed and discussed and discussed.

Nix
    Every situation needs to be dealt with in it's own unique way. Impossible to say under what circumstances I might act or not act. Especially if I've had too much coffee.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    This has been discussed and discussed and discussed and discussed.
    What's old is new again.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    What's old is new again.
    My closet supports your POV.

IF with my wife and children then #1 priorty is keep them/get them to safety. Otherwise everything else depends on the situation.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Links