3 Seconds From a Gun - Page 2

3 Seconds From a Gun

This is a discussion on 3 Seconds From a Gun within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Glad that Marine faired well! In 1986 I learned this lesson. Stationed in Beaufort SC , I rented a mobile home off base. First night ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 3 Seconds From a Gun

Glad that Marine faired well! In 1986 I learned this lesson. Stationed in Beaufort SC , I rented a mobile home off base. First night all I had was my sea bag, sleeping bag and a single shot 12 ga slug gun that broke down. Parked my bike across the street where it was under street light by managers office. Went to bed early and awoke to someone ripping my front door apart. I felt around for box of slugs , could'nt find them. Flipped on the light and got loaded. The metal door was peeled back exposing lock on outside. Seconds from entry. Since that incident and several others since I'm never unarmed except at work.If it is'nt loaded and within reach you are unarmed....

Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    Glad that Marine faired well! In 1986 I learned this lesson. Stationed in Beaufort SC , I rented a mobile home off base. First night all I had was my sea bag, sleeping bag and a single shot 12 ga slug gun that broke down. Parked my bike across the street where it was under street light by managers office. Went to bed early and awoke to someone ripping my front door apart. I felt around for box of slugs , could'nt find them. Flipped on the light and got loaded. The metal door was peeled back exposing lock on outside. Seconds from entry. Since that incident and several others since I'm never unarmed except at work.If it is'nt loaded and within reach you are unarmed....
    So at what point did the intruder run off? that would be extremely nerve racking trying to load/find a weapon WHILE someone was trying to break in...

glad you made it through it and came out the other side a better man for it.

I am one second from my firearm at all times.

Shughes,
    Later learned it was three guys late teens, early twenties who were burglarizing homes. Selling stolen goods down in GA for cash for crack cocaine sales. They lived across the street in a known drug house. They hit my home several times when I was at work. Had a few more brushes with them. Finally moved into base housing. That night I guess they high tailed it when lights came on and theyd seen a white guy in his underwear holding a 12 ga...

So which of those images do you think scared them off?

If my gun isn't on my hip, its within arms reach, I don't have kids around any more so I keep my guns hidden throught out my house.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryMac View Post
    you will be suprised how far you can get in three seconds if ya have to.
    Many athletes can run 30 yards in 3 seconds.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I'll second this reply, it's either on my hip, or my nightstand.
    Same here. Even when I'm in the shower my pistol is at arms length.
    Last edited by ErnieNWillis; December 3rd, 2011 at 09:12 AM. Reason: misspelling

When I'm home my firearm is either on my hip or within reach. Additionally, there could be several out in different rooms.
    When I leave home, any scattered firearms are put into the safe.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    I keep a gun near me at all times. I've scared away two teens already from my place. Eventually one of the teens casing my place may get too bold and make a move against me. I want to greet them properly if it does happen.
    And that post, my friends, broadcast throughout the internet for all the world to see, is clear evidense of premeditation. As for the three seconds, it that in standard or daylight saving time?
    Eaglebeak likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

G26 in Remora IWB in house most of the time.
    G22 within arms reach/nightstand.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    Shughes,
    Later learned it was three guys late teens, early twenties who were burglarizing homes. Selling stolen goods down in GA for cash for crack cocaine sales. They lived across the street in a known drug house. They hit my home several times when I was at work. Had a few more brushes with them. Finally moved into base housing. That night I guess they high tailed it when lights came on and theyd seen a white guy in his underwear holding a 12 ga...
    That is crazy... what a frustrating situation to be in when you knew who the repeat offender's were, but that knowledge did you no good. But again, I'm glad all is well b/c that sounds like it could have only gotten worse with time.

Because of our crazy laws and ambo chasing lawyers, I hope the marine isn't sued for discharging his weapon while under the influence of drugs. After all the bg just made a mistake. He thought he was at his house & couldn't find the key. Right.

My gun is much less than 10 seconds from where I spend my time in the house...living room. And it's not locked up, it lives on the nightstand when I'm home. It would be almost impossible to cut me off from reaching it however, the way the house is laid out.

You could possibly cut me off if I'm in the kitchen, but I'm hardly ever in there......
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Always Carry,Never Tell.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links