3 Seconds From a Gun

This is a discussion on 3 Seconds From a Gun within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There was a situation a couple of months ago in the town that I live in that I thought I would share because, honestly, its ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 3 Seconds From a Gun

3 Seconds From a Gun

There was a situation a couple of months ago in the town that I live in that I thought I would share because, honestly, its an awesome story.
    A retired Marine was in his home recovering from open heart surgery. It is the middle of the day and as he's reclined in his chair, he hears a pounding at his front door. He isn't able to jump up and get the door quickly so as he slowly got out of his chair, he saw a young male make his way around his house from the front door to the back. The guy apparently figured no one was home since nobody came to the door. The man walks to a dresser and pulls out his 1911. The young man kicks in his back and the retired Marine shoots him in both thighs. In the newspaper article, it quoted the man who said, "I try to never be more than 3 seconds from a firearm inside my home."

Makes me wonder if having so many guns scattered throughout your house is a good thing or kind of risky. It was obviously good for this man because it helped him stop an intruder who possibly could have caused harm but what if the man had not been home, then any guns a burglar finds while looking around are gone for good.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Probably not 3 seconds, but I'm never more than 5 steps from a gun. Each is in a hidden, bolted-down, quick-access safe.

Welcome to DC, btw.

I keep a gun near me at all times. I've scared away two teens already from my place. Eventually one of the teens casing my place may get too bold and make a move against me. I want to greet them properly if it does happen.

No need for 3 seconds, Its on my hip....Good for the Marine......
    JerryMac, Sfire, BkCo1 and 4 others like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    No need for 3 seconds, Its on my hip....Good for the Marine......
    I'll second this reply, it's either on my hip, or my nightstand.
    JerryMac, dragongtr and airslot like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Sounds to me like the retired marine needs a refresher course in pistol shooting. Why would he aim for his legs ? I know that would not happen here !! Now he'll have to be worrird about being sued, because I'm sure the perp can find a lawyer to plead his case. A dirt nap would have been better !!
    JerryMac likes this.
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot1 View Post
    Sounds to me like the retired marine needs a refresher course in pistol shooting. Why would he aim for his legs ? I know that would not happen here !! Now he'll have to be worrird about being sued, because I'm sure the perp can find a lawyer to plead his case. A dirt nap would have been better !!
    He was recovering from heart surgery and was probably high on painkillers.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Probably not 3 seconds, but I'm never more than 5 steps from a gun. Each is in a hidden, bolted-down, quick-access safe.

Welcome to DC, btw.
    I think this is the way to go. Having one on your hip is good for some people, but I like to do some serious lounging from time to time, and a gun is just a hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot1 View Post
    If he was like some of us ex-soldiers / ex-LEs who've already taken a number of lives, perhaps he didn't feel threatened for his own life enough to take yet another one and simply chose to stop the threat in a non-fatal manner (when skilled enough to do so). Sometimes dealing with lawyers is easier than taking another hit on one's conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    If he was like some of us ex-soldiers / ex-LEs who've already taken a number of lives, perhaps he didn't feel threatened for his own life enough to take yet another one and simply chose to stop the threat in a non-fatal manner (when skilled enough to do so). Sometimes dealing with lawyers is easier than taking another hit on one's conscience.
    A perspective I never gave much thought to. Thanks..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    IWB or nightstand unless I'm on meds or watching the Vikings.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

It's on my hip.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

An odd first post.

I think the retired military man actually took more than three seconds to get to his weapon. It was in a dresser after all and he was in a recliner. I doubt he had guns all over the house as he WENT TO THE DRESSER to get the 1911. I'd say his "I try to never be more than three seconds from a gun" is a cute line, but not all that factual.

Good for the Marine though if the story is only partially true.

Darren

I usually pocket carry around the house and my handgun safe is mounted to my bed frame in case of a bump in the night. The man in the story took longer than 3 seconds to get out of the recliner! Sounds like he might have been a little lucky that the front door didn't get kicked in. I doubt he would have made it to the bedroom to get his gun.

If I do not have my carry gun on me, it is very close by, but first you gotta get by the hounds outside, to get to the door, and i like to think i can tell an agressive bark over a bark, maybe in the repetitive tone, who knows, maybe should do a thread on that about guard dogs, but my dog is only a guard dog in the sense of letteing me know something is going on.....That said, if my carry gun is not on me it is well within or another within that 3 second window. you will be suprised how far you can get in three seconds if ya have to.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links