Road rage self defense scenario - Page 2

Road rage self defense scenario

This is a discussion on Road rage self defense scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As has been stated in several posts above, if you exchanged obscenities or otherwise escalated the situation, you may no longer have a clear claim ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Road rage self defense scenario

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    As has been stated in several posts above, if you exchanged obscenities or otherwise escalated the situation, you may no longer have a clear claim of self defense. You may also want to check with your state laws. In some states using gestures and actions that that are intended to anger and enrage someone may be an explicit concealed carry violation.

Pulling over is your first mistake. DRIVE! Most of the time, they'll calm down the longer your drive and then lose interest. If not, drive to a police station.
    NYCrulesU likes this.

seriously, the cocked and locked or locked and cocked was an expression i used since back when i was carrying my 1911 and it just kinda stuck with me as a term for when i have one in the chamber. get over it. and 2nd i said in a normal situation a middle finger and a honk is all the further a road rage scenario will go. i didnt say thats what happened when i was driving. we never got the chance to exchange these gestures as he was already tailgating me and yelling trying to get me out of my truck after he tried to merge into MY lane as i was in the left lane and we were to lerge left. also in the scenario the series of events from the time he became enraged and the time you got blocked in is only about 15 seconds and he is approaching from the rear of my vehicle. so the cover i was referring to was the back half of your own vehicle and door jamb area to just hide yourself, not actually stop bullets. you could be on the phone wil 911 all you want but at this point he is walking to your vehicle waving a gun around. what do you do right then and there at that second? that was my question.
    XD45 cocked and locked...go big or go home....

First off you came up on a merge, whose lane ended because that is the lane that has to yield to the other driver(s). 2) In Texas one thing are taught is BE THE ADULT; were you the adult? Did you maintain control? It does not sound like it to me.

So now to the gas station if he blocks you in; that is a crime by itself. No person is allowed to restrict another but you got away-good. If he would have got out of his vehicle with a gun drawn you would have had every right to shoot in self defense. One thing I learned the hard way that if someone gets out of their vehicle they are the aggressor and intend to escalate the situation when something like this happens.

Calling the cops stuff is all fine and good but some of the other posters think that everyone has a cell ph. That is an assumption, not everyone has a cell ph

if and when you have to defend yourself you want to be carefull and make sure that right is on your side. there was a shooting in houston tx a couple of weeks ago

Quote Originally Posted by gary502 View Post
    hey guys, first post here. i think i have a good story/scenario that i feel confident in my game plan, but id like to see other opinions to the situation.

me and my girlfriend were driving down a 4 lane road (2 lanes each direction) coming into a small city type environment. the lanes merge down to 1 lane each direction and most of the merge section is taken up by on street parking. theres a series of events that happen during the merge that cause me to accelerate in front of a guy who does not understand the concepts of a lane change. at this point in any normal situation an exchange of horns and a few key obscenities would have been sufficient and we would both be on our way. SNIP.......

Instead of looking for atta boys on how you handled a situation that could lead to problems or affirmation on how you'd "drop him" if things turned bad why not listen to the best advice in the world that you have been given several times in this thread????

BE THE VOICE OF REASON.

Instead of speeding up and cutting off another driver, what do you think the outcome would have been if you had merely slowed and allowed him to merge? Sometimes you need to understand that what is obvious to you may not be so obvious to a person not familiar with the area.

Go the extra mile to take the high road. This isn't just for when you are carrying a handgun, this practice is what will make your life less likely to derail when you least expect it.

Guys im not looking for an "atta boy" im here looking for others opinions on how they would handle the scenario. Are their flaws in mine? Yeah. The guys lane ended, and instead of slowing down he decided to try to push me over and get in my lane. Yeah that wasnt happening seeing as i was in the correct lane, and there were cars coming in the opposing lane. So yeah i didnt let him bully me over and he didnt like that, not my problem. Im not facing a head on collision be ause some jackwagon had no patience. Take the cellphone and 911 thing out of the equasion. This is happening fast and right now.
    XD45 cocked and locked...go big or go home....

Guys im not looking for an "atta boy" im here looking for others opinions on how they would handle the scenario. Are their flaws in mine? Yeah. The guys lane ended, and instead of slowing down he decided to try to push me over and get in my lane. Yeah that wasnt happening seeing as i was in the correct lane, and there were cars coming in the opposing lane. So yeah i didnt let him bully me over and he didnt like that, not my problem. Im not facing a head on collision be ause some jackwagon had no patience. Take the cellphone and 911 thing out of the equasion. This is happening fast and right now.
    It appears there was more than one "jackwagon" with no patience.

VIP Member
    After reading this post, I understand why you were reluctant to call 911. You retaliated to aggressive driving by becoming aggressive yourself. Why not be considerate, slow down a bit, and just let him over in the first place?
    Magnum, BkCo1 and Bubbiesdad like this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    carrying a gun rather requires that you observe and anticipate what is occurring around you.

it also requires that you become 'Mr. nice guy' when events unfold such that one has to give ground
    even when "it's my turn"
    let it (and the jerk) go before it becomes a situation rather than try to fight your way out of a hole you dug yourself into.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    carrying a gun rather requires that you observe and anticipate what is occurring around you.

it also requires that you become 'Mr. nice guy' when events unfold such that one has to give ground
    even when "it's my turn"
    let it (and the jerk) go before it becomes a situation rather than try to fight your way out of a hole you dug yourself into.
    This reminds me of a very old saying that can be related if given proper place. "There once was a man named Martin Gray who died while taking his "right of way", he was right, dead right as he sped along, but he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong".

TVJ
    Lets pretend you did everything right…no mouthing off…etc.

You cannot move your truck – trapped – with wife inside. Yucky situation.

Open the door, get off the X, draw and point shoot moving in an arc toward/around him. Get him and his backstop away from the bullet trap that is your car with your wife in it. Truck/car doors are concealment-ish and not cover.

This is a great airsoft Fof drill

Except for a threat with a gun/ballistic weapon, I totally prefer to be in my car/truck with doors locked. A ballistic threat: I want to drive over him, drive away ducking, or engage accellerating off the driver’s seat “X”.

Any other weapon other than penetrating ballistic, I want to be in the car/truck and have all that metal and shatterproof glass around me as initial cover. Call police, wait for him to attempt to break glass with the weapon from point blank range, hopefully he just rages. Let him view my glock, give him a chance for his "come to Jesus moment"…if he continues then I get the advantage of “stuff” between me and him and point blank firing range. Negative: Ears being inside the car.

If he backs off with my gun pointed at him, I get out of the car to control for the risk that he has a ballistic weapon inside his vehicle. The last thing at that point I want is him to go back and get a gun/rifle when I have superior control of the situation at that moment. I have no idea what he has in his car. No CHL holder does. I cover him and tell him to drive away from to the side at the A pillar of his vehicle facing towards the back of his car. Watch hands. Tell him to move slowly and keep hands on the wheel…drive away. I want him away from us to neutralize the threat without shooting him into his car seat. (Reaching or digging are my triggers to use the trigger: I pointshoot and keep pulling the trigger until he stops reaching/moving.) Call police.

Legal Articulation: Texas law, Title Two, Chapter 9; Castle doctrine with car; Aggravated assault with some form of a deadly weapon at my car; ordering him to leave in his car a form of self defense...articulate he began reaching for something...reasonable for me to believe it was a weapon given his previous aggravated assault attempt/road rage and I, in good faith, attempted to make him leave to neutralize the threat.

I have no interest in citizen’s detention...way way way to legally messy for me. Get him in his car away from us. Neutralize the threat without shooting him, primary victory. Having to neutralize him with glock, wife unhurt, me unhurt: Secondary Victory.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    you just lost any credibility with any story with this type of ridiculously inaccurate "gun talk".
    BTW, you flip a guy off in traffic, you are as guilty as he is of road rage. Hope your windows are bullet proof.
    This crap always gets me.

If you have a round chambered and ready to go in an XD or Glock or something similar...it is for all intents and purposes "Cocked and Locked".

The idea that this term is something specific to people who carry 1911's is just stupid. "Inaccurate gun talk", what is that anyways?

The only 'cover' in that situation is your engine block...and I hope you remind your girlfriend to get down behind it.

You're a sitting duck behind your door.

As you become more familiar with the Web site, I hope you also become familiar with the expression (and ethics behind) "taking the High Ground" which means that once you are carrying a firearm you are held (morally and legally) to a higher standard of behavior. You CANNOT go inciting or participating in fights, road rage, etc. when carrying and not be held accountable for every single move you make with your firearm (or that someone else makes with your firearm).

Welcome
    BkCo1, SIGguy229, Ishmael and 1 others like this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Scary statement...someone you dont even know and you assume they were bullying you, you immediately take it personally. Like you have some self-esteem issue that you need to deal with with this guy. You can avoid the head on collision by slowing down and ignoring the 'jackwagon.' Let him go and he's on his way and you never have to see him again.

And re: earlier post, giving the middle finger and honking are considered escalation and will be used against you, that you actively participated in the situation, if there is an exchange of gunfire.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by Roon View Post
    This crap always gets me.

If you have a round chambered and ready to go in an XD or Glock or something similar...it is for all intents and purposes "Cocked and Locked".

The idea that this term is something specific to people who carry 1911's is just stupid. "Inaccurate gun talk", what is that anyways?
    Condition One (cocked and locked), with a cartridge in the chamber, cocked hammer and locked manual safety. ...
    XD have an external hammer? A manual safety? No. A Cocked and Locked XD cannot exist because it does not have an either an external hammer or a manual safety that locks the external hammer in place. Its a striker fired pistol.

A few that can be cocked and locked:

Browning Hi Power
    CZ 75
    Taurus PT 92
    1911 .45
    Star Firestar
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links