Road rage self defense scenario - Page 3

Road rage self defense scenario

This is a discussion on Road rage self defense scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How is it that it's always the "new" guy......

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Road rage self defense scenario

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    How is it that it's always the "new" guy...

Gotta go with option A. Other posters are right: probably could have avoided escalating it to this level... but even so, gestures and horn-honking aside, once you get to this point you have an armed person approaching your vehicle, apparently NOT an LEO, (at least not on- duty), he is a definite threat to your life. The whole purpose of carrying is to protect your life, and anytime you shoot to defend your life, it will get serious scrutiny anyway (grand jury, etc) . Your handgun self-defense training should kick in at this point, worry about the legal ramifications later.

Quote Originally Posted by gary502 View Post
    Guys im not looking for an "atta boy" im here looking for others opinions on how they would handle the scenario. Are their flaws in mine? Yeah. The guys lane ended, and instead of slowing down he decided to try to push me over and get in my lane. Yeah that wasnt happening seeing as i was in the correct lane, and there were cars coming in the opposing lane. So yeah i didnt let him bully me over and he didnt like that, not my problem. Im not facing a head on collision be ause some jackwagon had no patience. Take the cellphone and 911 thing out of the equasion. This is happening fast and right now.
    There is no "take the cell phone and call 911 out...". It's the only right answer. Agreed that the scenerio happened fast and in the now.

You are driving. KEEP driving. Straight to a police station if you know it's location. Hell, drive around a 2 block radius in circles until police arrive if you have too.

Anything involving stopping is wrong. Trying to change direction with a K-turn or U-turn is simply ridiculous.

Was he ramming your car? No. Was he shooting at you from his vehicle that caused you to take evasive manuevers? lol No. He was following you. You are still in control and completely capable of driving ahead while calling police.

Sorry, but some things I read by some HCP holders/gun carriers are simply crazy. This is not Hollywood. I get so tired of the fantastical scenerios and even more fantastical "solutions" I read.

Call a criminal defense attorney. Tell him your story. Ask him if Joe Blow followed you to the gas station when you stopped (I believe you said you stopped to let him pass? lol) ...and Joe Blow exited his car armed and you shot him dead. Ask this attorney just how many years you would be serving.

I'm sure the jury would see you pulling over during a road rage event as .."Well he just pulled over to let him pass, what a responsible swell fella.". No. More like it wouod be viewed as the action that instigated the fatal shooting. Manslaughter sounds about right.

I swear...there needs to he some sort of common sense test that goes along with handing out carry permits.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Cover of your vehicle? If I am reading the scenario correctly, the BG is coming from in front of you car. If you have just the open car door between you and the BG, unless your car is armored (in which case why exit) you don't have cover between you and the BG.
    This is what I was going to say. Don't assume that the door of your car will stop a bullet. A car door is concealment not cover. There may be advantages to exiting the car, such as if he is advancing towards you from the front of your car, it is an easier shot if your car window is open, as opposed to shooting through the windshield which would cause the point of impact to change. Also by exiting your car your going to minimze the damage to your hearing as opposed to shooting from inside the car. Another advantage is your not nw having to draw while wearing a seatbelt.

Just do not assume that the car door offers complete protection. Remember rule five of a gun fight is "Incoming rounds have the right of way!"

In traffic (and in life in general), do not chalk up to malice or aggression what could be more easily explained by obliviousness. Put another way: it's almost never about you.
    9MMare likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    Condition One (cocked and locked), with a cartridge in the chamber, cocked hammer and locked manual safety. ...
    XD have an external hammer? A manual safety? No. A Cocked and Locked XD cannot exist because it does not have an either an external hammer or a manual safety that locks the external hammer in place. Its a striker fired pistol.
    lol. Did you know what he meant when he said cocked and locked? I knew immediately that he meant he has one in the chamber, being that it was an XD is was ready to go "Condition One" the moment he chambered a round. The fact that you felt it necessary to call him out on something so small is just stupid to me. Like his use of "Cocked and Locked" was going to cause so much confusion or something.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Your first problem is thinking that honking and exchanging obscene jesters is a normal way to end a situation.
    THIS.

When you got your permit, you gave up your right to act like that.

If that's too much of a problem, leave the gun at home.

Pride kills.

Quote Originally Posted by gary502 View Post
    So yeah i didnt let him bully me...
    Pray tell, how does someone armed with a .45ACP handgun get bullied?

You hold the power of life and death in your hands. You are not bullied - you permit someone to live. even though he may be an impolite swine.

If you don't understand that, you are just looking for a reason to shoot someone.

It's all fun and games, till you realize the price of putting your hand on a gun in terms of time, money, stress and broken lives/dreams.

Accept it, of go home.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCrulesU View Post
    Call a criminal defense attorney. Tell him your story. Ask him if Joe Blow followed you to the gas station when you stopped (I believe you said you stopped to let him pass? lol) ...and Joe Blow exited his car armed and you shot him dead. Ask this attorney just how many years you would be serving.
    15 years, incarceration suspended after 7 (of which you need to serve 85%) 10 years probation.

Similar real story that happened recently in Phoenix. Not a good situation for both parties. Avoid the confrontation if possible. I would not pull over for an enraged person.

Scottsdale attorney arrested in deadly road rage shooting | azfamily.com Phoenix

Your first problem is thinking that honking and exchanging obscene jesters is a normal way to end a situation.
    Very true.

By throwing an obscene gesture and honking the horn, one signals the other driver: "Game on; let's rumble". It takes two drivers to play the road rage game. Usually there is no road rage incident when one driver refuses to play.

Something I did when I got serious about training was to start running.

To quote John Clark of Tom Clancy Fame..."It's an important skill to be able to run away very far and very fast..."

Footwork before firearms...that's what I say.

Quote Originally Posted by Roon View Post
    lol. Did you know what he meant when he said cocked and locked? I knew immediately that he meant he has one in the chamber, being that it was an XD is was ready to go "Condition One" the moment he chambered a round. The fact that you felt it necessary to call him out on something so small is just stupid to me. Like his use of "Cocked and Locked" was going to cause so much confusion or something.
    yeah, I knew what he meant. But having one in the chamber has absolutely nothing to do with "cocked and locked". I also know that any NEWBIE would use that term as if it is a Universal expresssion. Its not. To me, using the term "cocked and locked" for a striker fired pistol is like someone running their finger nails down an old school chalk board.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

To me, using the term "cocked and locked" for a striker fired pistol is like someone running their finger nails down an old school chalk board.
    1911 envy.

yeah, I knew what he meant. But having one in the chamber has absolutely nothing to do with "cocked and locked". I also know that any NEWBIE would use that term as if it is a Universal expresssion. Its not. To me, using the term "cocked and locked" for a striker fired pistol is like someone running their finger nails down an old school chalk board.
    I can relate to the finger nails on the chalk board thing, I feel that same way everytime I have to listen to people praise the 1911 platform as if jesus himself carried that gun.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links