Road rage self defense scenario - Page 4

Road rage self defense scenario

This is a discussion on Road rage self defense scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Roon .....everytime I have to listen to people praise the 1911 platform as if jesus himself carried that gun. LOLOLOL Gotta admit ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Road rage self defense scenario

Quote Originally Posted by Roon View Post
    .....everytime I have to listen to people praise the 1911 platform as if jesus himself carried that gun.
    LOLOLOL

Gotta admit tho, I have some of that 1911 envy.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by roon View Post
    ...i have to listen to people praise the 1911 platform as if jesus himself carried that gun.
    he didnt?????????
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Jesus was technical consultant to JMB on both the 1911 and BHP.......

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    Jesus was technical consultant to JMB on both the 1911 and BHP.......

I see you received my Christmas card!
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I think you set yourself up for an issue. When carrying you have the capability to take a life, don't put yourself into a situation where that is the only option left.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Calling the cops stuff is all fine and good but some of the other posters think that everyone has a cell ph. That is an assumption, not everyone has a cell ph
    I assume when you type "cell ph", you mean cell phone. I am not sure why you type three whole paragraphs of response spelling out every word, but only abbreviate "cell ph"

If you are even remotely concerned about your personal safety, and that of your family, you need a cell phone. If I had financial challenges, I'd own a cell phone long before a ccw. A cell phone is a must for personal safety, and is useful in a wide variety of situations. Your landline can be cut, and someone else's phone may not be handy. A pistol can only be used in very limited situations.

If you have enough money to own a PC and an internet connection to respond here, you have enough money for a critical self-defense tool: a cell phone.
    Magnum and 9MMare like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I assume when you type "cell ph", you mean cell phone. I am not sure why you type three whole paragraphs of response spelling out every word, but only abbreviate "cell ph"

If you are even remotely concerned about your personal safety, and that of your family, you need a cell phone. If I had financial challenges, I'd own a cell phone long before a ccw. A cell phone is a must for personal safety, and is useful in a wide variety of situations. Your landline can be cut, and someone else's phone may not be handy. A pistol can only be used in very limited situations.

If you have enough money to own a PC and an internet connection to respond here, you have enough money for a critical self-defense tool: a cell phone.
    Good stuff...and I dont really even like my cell phone. But even before I owned a firearm, I got a cell phone and committed to carrying that everyday, all the time. It didnt (and still doesnt, except now I can check everything on the Web on the latest one) get much use.
    Fortune favors the bold.

From the OP.

theres a series of events that happen during the merge that cause me to accelerate in front of a guy who does not understand the concepts of a lane change.

we never got the chance to exchange these gestures as he was already tailgating me and yelling trying to get me out of my truck after he tried to merge into MY lane as i was in the left lane and we were to lerge left.

And you're definitely going to keep YOUR lane
    So yeah i didnt let him bully me over and he didnt like that, not my problem. No, but you were definitely going to bully him.

Yeah that wasnt happening seeing as i was in the correct lane

Im not facing a head on collision be ause some jackwagon had no patience.

Shame, did your truck come without brakes?

You are just as guilty of road rage as the guy you are talking about.

As I have said many times on these types of posts. When you are carrying while driving and someone doeas something like this, let it go the last place you want to be is in court being asked, "Since you were in possesssion of a handgun, why did you escalate the situation"?
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

This crap always gets me.

If you have a round chambered and ready to go in an XD or Glock or something similar...it is for all intents and purposes "Cocked and Locked".

The idea that this term is something specific to people who carry 1911's is just stupid. "Inaccurate gun talk", what is that anyways?
    lol. Did you know what he meant when he said cocked and locked? I knew immediately that he meant he has one in the chamber, being that it was an XD is was ready to go "Condition One" the moment he chambered a round. The fact that you felt it necessary to call him out on something so small is just stupid to me. Like his use of "Cocked and Locked" was going to cause so much confusion or something.
    Come on guys, you know the kind of guns they're talking about. Those are the ones that use "clips".
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Come on guys, you know the kind of guns they're talking about. Those are the ones that use "clips".
    What type of magazine do you prefer? I for one love Road & Track.

TECHNICALLY, my firing pin was "cocked" in the rearward position. and the gun was kinda sorta "locked" seeing as my hand was not engaging the rear grip safety, thus making it impossible to fire. but anyways, now that i think the flaws of MY experience have been thuroughly pointed out, may we tweak the scenario and get to the conclusion i was really looking for?

say you get into a minor traffic collision. you proceded safely through an intersection, and someone rolls a stopsign and tags your front fender and disables your vehicle on a back road. you prepare to leave your vehicle and assess damage and exchange information like civilized americans, suddenly you notice him exiting his vehicle extremely aggrevated and waving a pistol. drunk, drugged up, ex fellon, professional hitman, whatever the reason. extreme scenario? yes. possible? yes....the scenario dosnt have to be perfect. all im trying to get opinions on is if someone pulls their weapon, and there was absolutely no reason to, AT WHAT POINT DO YOU DRAW AND FIRE YOUR WEAPON? thats really all im asking for here.
    XD45 cocked and locked...go big or go home....

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Very different scenario this time, but at the point you are at in said scenario... Person exits their vehicle waving a firearm, I'm assessing threat and moving to engage.

yes, very different scenario but i feel this one will work. the whole thread is to determine what happens at the split second between when you see a gun, and when/if you pull the trigger and why.
    XD45 cocked and locked...go big or go home....

The name of the game especially when armed is de-escalation, defusing, being overly polite, letting people merge in front of you. One trick you can use is to imagine that the person you are driving beside is a relative. Whereas before you'd try to block a merge as an "I own the road" game, now you'd slow down traffic behind you to let your relative merge safely.

If you're truly "being polite", then there really is no 'breaking in line' in traffic - you let him in, realizing the poor dear has poor merging skills. Also remember that most people do not have exceptional driving skills - so when/if you play a game of 'inches' you're depending on the other guy to keep from hitting you. If, as a result of not letting him merge, your car is hit, guess what? You have now demonstrated that you have very poor collision avoidance skills. So you solve the self-defense puzzle by exiting it asap, not letting it evolve until now you have to consider a firing solution.
    HTH.

Very very different scenario. And it basically boils down to (in any physical set up)....someone approaches me with a drawn gun....what do I do?

If there is Ability, Opportunity, Jeopardy, (AOJ), if you feel that you are in imminent danger of gross bodily harm or death, you shoot to stop the threat.

The consequences after the shooting are still yours to bear.
    noway2 likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links