Road rage self defense scenario

This is a discussion on Road rage self defense scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hey guys, first post here. i think i have a good story/scenario that i feel confident in my game plan, but id like to see ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Road rage self defense scenario

Road rage self defense scenario

hey guys, first post here. i think i have a good story/scenario that i feel confident in my game plan, but id like to see other opinions to the situation.

me and my girlfriend were driving down a 4 lane road (2 lanes each direction) coming into a small city type environment. the lanes merge down to 1 lane each direction and most of the merge section is taken up by on street parking. theres a series of events that happen during the merge that cause me to accelerate in front of a guy who does not understand the concepts of a lane change. at this point in any normal situation an exchange of horns and a few key obscenities would have been sufficient and we would both be on our way. but at this point the guy is completely enraged, riding my bumper, many horn blasts and screaming out his window. i turn into a gas station to let him on his way and he pulls in and attempts to block my truck in with his car, i leave promptly and he follows. i head up the street and its the same thing. he is intent on blocking me in and yelling for me to get out of my truck. i manage to pull a U-turn and loose him but what if i got boxed in by traffic? heres where my scenario starts. were now boxed in. my XD45 is locked and cocked on my hip. he jumps out of his vehicle, gun drawn, aimed at the ground in front of him as he moves towards my vehicle. (extreme, i know. but very possible in todays world) do you A: see he has a gun, immediately draw and fire your weapon to kill and eliminate the agressor? B: open the door, turn and brace yourself behind the cover ov your vehicle, draw and aim your weapon and yell out commands to stop and drop his weapon OR you'll shoot? or C: wait till he gets to your window and hope he's bluffing? i choose option B with the variable that as SOON as his weapon even remotely points my way i drop him. what do you guys feel?

2. Remove Ads

Welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware! Back to your post, after all that has taken place up to this point, (you've done everything in your power to disengage from this idiot, and he keeps coming up to the point of blocking you in and getting out of his vehicle with a gun drawn) I'm exiting my vehicle and will drop him as soon as possible. I'm not letting him get to my vehicle with his gun and certainly not going to wait and see if he's bluffing.
    Spade115 likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    I'm dialing 911 at the first indication of aggressive driving directed toward me, and will not be breaking any traffic laws or committing any unsafe maneuvers to facilitate the foolishness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I'm dialing 911 at the first indication of aggressive driving directed toward me, and will not be breaking any traffic laws or committing any unsafe maneuvers to facilitate the foolishness.
    And, then I'll shoot him!

Well, maybe. If he continues to come after me, if he comes out of his car, gun drawn (no announcement) he's dead.
    Spade115 and The Old Anglo like this.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Keep driving and call 911 with plate and vehicle description.

No need to the gas station stop, u-turn or any other uneccessary manuevers.
    MadMac likes this.

Call the cops and keep moving, if they pursue and block you in, you have the legal right to protect yourself and others from bodily harm, if hd approached my vehicle with or without my wife and son riding with me, and he had a gun I would give no warnings or commands he'd be a gonner. His intentions are very clear and you can't reason with a hot head. Do what you can,legally, to avoid it. Always remember the cya policy.
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

Quote Originally Posted by NYCrulesU View Post
    Keep driving and call 911 with plate and vehicle description.

No need to the gas station stop, u-turn or any other uneccessary manuevers.
    This....however, based on your scenario, if someone comes out of their car with a gun after exhibiting aggressive/dangerous behavior, I'm going to stop the threat.
    NYCrulesU and 9MMare like this.

Your first problem is thinking that honking and exchanging obscene jesters is a normal way to end a situation.

Unless there is a reason to believe that the other vehicle does not see you there is no reason to hit the horn. It's not a signal of dissatisfaction with the other persons driving skills. The obscene jesters are also a great way to escalate a situation.

Stay off the horn, if it is you that was in error, an apologetic wave is the only jester you need to be considering, and if it's the other person that erred try waving a "no problem" wave and smile. None of us are perfect drivers and when you are armed, you need to be taking the high road as often as possible.

If someone pulls in behind you and gets out, drive off. Head to a police station and call 911. You stand a better chance of a good outcome if you safely leave a situation, not stop and engage.

If they follow you, make SURE you do NOT exceed the speed limit or break any other laws. Since you are most likely not sporting flashing emergency beacons or a siren you stand a better than even chance of involving a third party in an accident. Drive save and don't play speed racer trying to elude the person following. Stay alert, follow the instructions of the 911 dispatcher and keep your head on a swivel.

best thing is call 911, your weapon is your last resort, but the scenario part, no matter if it is an enraged driver , or just a goon coming at me with a gun, i am not gonna ask if it is loaded, and not gonna see if he is bluffing, if he does not raise the weapon he may have the chance to put it down, if he raises or attempts to raise it , or keeps advancing on me, would think a double tap would be the sensible soultion.
    NavyAirdale and Hieny like this.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

An XD.45 can be cocked & locked?

VIP Member
    Cover of your vehicle? If I am reading the scenario correctly, the BG is coming from in front of you car. If you have just the open car door between you and the BG, unless your car is armored (in which case why exit) you don't have cover between you and the BG.
    9MMare likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by gary502 View Post
    my XD45 is locked and cocked on my hip.
    you just lost any credibility with any story with this type of ridiculously inaccurate "gun talk".
    BTW, you flip a guy off in traffic, you are as guilty as he is of road rage. Hope your windows are bullet proof.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Two (or even 1) armed men + road rage? The outcome is going to end up in the hands of a jury. Plan on it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Who has the right of way at the lane merge? One lane continues as the other lane merge into it? Or they both squeeze into one?

At any rate I'd do an apologetic wave and let them have their way. I don't care for road rages and I won't be an instigator of one if I'm packing (which I am).

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

Now I'm interested in how do you "cock and lock" (not lock and cock) a XD?

Finally if you exchanged obscenities and hand gestures with the other person, you just as guilty of road rage as the other person. Since you participated in the RR incident, you will not be viewed as an innocent party. In the case the other person wants to up the ante, calling 911 should be your first action. If boxed in and he exits his vehicle, gun in hand, stop the threat and get ready to see the inside of the jail, you definitely will be going there. Hopefully you have a VERY GOOD lawyer, given you were an active participant in the RR situation, your going to need one.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links