Scary situation! Need some advice - Page 2

Scary situation! Need some advice

This is a discussion on Scary situation! Need some advice within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks to the OP for sharing. You've described one of my "what if's" almost to a "T". Lots to think about here. I wonder what ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Scary situation! Need some advice

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Thanks to the OP for sharing. You've described one of my "what if's" almost to a "T". Lots to think about here. I wonder what this idiot would've done if you tried to duck/manuever/accelerate around him?...assuming you had the room and wherewithall to perform such a manuever. I'm also assuming that your bike weighs around 700+ pounds, which can be tricky to handle at slow speeds unless you've had special training, but especially if you're attempting this one-handed. Not a good situation to be in, to say the least. Given the situation, I probably would've done the same thing. You had the presence of mind to hit the kill switch. I might've also put the kick stand down if I thought I needed to bail or wasn't able to hold the bike up. The reality is, when riding a motorcycle, you are definitely at a physical disadvantage. If you haven't already, take a look at what happens to a LEO on his bike while he is patrolling through the OWS crowd of idiots.

I'm assuming your strong hand is your left hand, which is the hand that operates the clutch. If you absolutely had to, you could still accelerate (away) while holding your weapon in your left hand. Since I carry on my RH side when I ride, which of course is the throttle hand, I would not have that option if I had to "go for it". Practicably speaking, the only way I would be able to access my gun while on my bike is if I was at a dead stop or I got off the bike. Otherwise, it stays holstered.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Situational Awareness is critical on a motorcycle, you must always have an "out." Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't (mine didn't but that's another story).

Your out could have been a 180° turn, you were going 10 mph or less... Drunk has bus and traffic oncoming stopped? nothing behind you? Take off.

Other than that I think you did pretty good. You are right about the bike being a hindrance in slow speed confrontations, but the advantage to the bike is maneuverability. Try to get out of situations before they occur.

Riding is a lot like carrying a gun... SA and Avoidance are the two things that will keep you out of situations... once you were stopped you did fine. You covered your weapon, just like you cover your brakes when you think you might have to use them... since it was never pulled or exposed, no one knew you had a gun... you could have been pulling a "Blart."
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    I'm of the general mindset that my default reaction to bad situations on the motorcycle is to accelerate my way out of them.

I've driven on sidewalks (to avoid a nut running at me), run a few red lights (when lost in a bad part of Atlanta, and the locals were approaching me), even driven down a shoulder in waist-high weeds & brush at about 50 mph to avoid hitting the back of the car that slammed on the brakes in front of me.

Having not been in the OP's situation, I will not comment, other than to say that the last thing that I'm going to do in a bad situation is kill the engine.

I carry when I'm on the bike, but that is mainly for protection while I'm off the bike (gas stations, etc.). My primary tool on the bike, is my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I'm of the general mindset that my default reaction to bad situations on the motorcycle is to accelerate my way out of them.
    I was, too. My bad. I don't ride anymore.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I was, too. My bad. I don't ride anymore.
    Actually, the physics of a motorcycle lend itself to accelerating from a bad situation vs. braking. It certainly doesn't guarantee a happy ending though.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Actually, the physics of a motorcycle lend itself to accelerating from a bad situation vs. braking. It certainly doesn't guarantee a happy ending though.
    Yep, that rapid dissipation thing... much better in a "cage" they have all those airbags and things...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    This drunk fools' buddies weren't concerned enough with his or your safety to stop/deflect him until it just about turned deadly--given that fact--how do we know that they weren't intent upon aggravated assult/theft???

It sounds like given the circumstances and the rapidity with which it happened, you only had two easy choices, run the fool over or stop. To keep from running over a foolish pedestrian, in the interest of everybody's safety, you stopped.

Now you see there are more of them and they are converging on you--you now have a potential disparity of force situation. And, as previsouly pointed out, he was sober enough to notice your gun hand and stop dead in his tracks. This suggests to me that he and his buds weren't nearly as drunk as they let on--which also suggests to me that thier original intentions were not so nice nor innocent.....

I think that they were lucky to not be looking down the muzzle--and while I may be flamed for this, I don't think that I would have faulted you for actually drawing and pointing in, for all the reasons above.....although if you HAD drawn, I would highly suggest being the very first one to dial 911 and report being threatened by a group of 4 or more guys.
    HoganLongfellow and protek like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Interesting scenario and story but, I a somewhat confused by the apparently contradictory statements which I have underlined in the abridge version below.

Quote Originally Posted by marklind View Post
    I'll admit, this one scared me. It just goes to show you NEVER know.

This story happened to me .....

My left hand immediately covered my Ruger that I keep at 9o'clock. At this time the guy immediately stops dead in his tracks, and his friends start screaming "he's drunk, he's drunk, we've been drinking all day watching football, he's drunk etc, etc". I literally didn't open my mouth once, I just stood there for a second, covering my pistol. I never swept my sweatshirt, I never had to draw - no one ever saw a gun at all...I just had my hand covering the pistol and I was ready. His buddies grab him and continue to cross the street, they all just looked like they were shocked that I had a pistol. I didn't say a word, they all scurried away repeating (yelling) "man he's drunk, that's all, he's been drinking all day watching football".

..... any feedback is appreciated!
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

bbqgrill-

No contradiction at all, only an idiot or fool could mistake the "draw stroke" for anything but what it is...An armed man getting ready to draw his gun, presence of the gun is assumed.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I read no contradiction at all either.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    bbqgrill-

No contradiction at all, only an idiot or fool could mistake the "draw stroke" for anything but what it is...An armed man getting ready to draw his gun, presence of the gun is assumed.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    I read no contradiction at all either.
    I did not read that there was even the begining of a draw stroke he did not even sweep his cover garment; that is hardly indicitive of the presence of a weapon. My bad if I am reading too much into it but, I don't read where the "drunks" would have assumed a weapon under the described scenario.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I have had a bike since I turned 18 and my parents could not tell me no. I have never hit anyone or anything but have several friends that have hit critters from deer to dogs. None of them actually aimed at the animal but all went down either from the handlebars being ripped from their hands, or an unrecoverable tank slapper (physics says in some circumstances the forces at work will cause the bars to swing back and forth faster and faster slamming from one steering stop to the other) or a slide and lay down or high side. Given that some of these were caused by 50 pound dogs I don't think you would fair better vs 200 pound person. As for running up on the sidewalk unless the curbs are very small it is not an easy maneuver on a street bike, again due to the design of the bike you are more likely to have the bars yanked unless you hit the curb close to perpendicular. I think in the given situation you did the right thing by stopping and gaining a solid base. With at least 5 unknown individuals taking an aggressive posture you did the right thing in preparing to defend yourself. One charging and at least 4 following a few steps behind, I say good job. If you are looking at this you had the same reaction as your buddy and he was the only other person that was actually there. I think it would have to be a severely anti DA to try to bring charges in a 5 vs 1 situation.

to me, it all sounds like you were situationally aware, have good reactions and instincts, and was prepared if something turned south in a hurry...

All good.

See no problem @ all.

The only thing I would do differently, is when / if f I hit the kill switch, I automatically kick down the side stand in case I need to get off , or to do so in a hurry. If you take off, it's purely just kicking the side stand up as you take off (if it doesn't flip up all on it's own). LOL
    HoganLongfellow and Tally XD like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

True....

This all happened so lightning-fast...

Couple things I left out: The bus that almost hit the guy blocked me from making a u-turn, and honesty we were going to slow he could have easily ran up and hit me as close as he was if I decided to try it.

The reason I couldn't swerve to the right is my buddy was directly to my right, well, he was at my 4'o clock, we were close, b/c we just pulled out of the garage. We normally don't ride that close.

For a split-second I thought about whacking the throttle, however 1) we were approaching an intersection and the bus had blocked my view and 2) it was about 55 degrees and we had just got on the road. On a bike you have to pay attention to cold tires. A LOT of people wreck by giving too much gas on a cold tire (it will spin and dump you QUICK).

All-in-all I'm just glad I got home OK; but what scared/bothered me is I felt like I was the one that took it to the higher level and I think I felt guilty.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    There was no weapon displayed as per the OPs post.

You don't invoke deadly force based on what could happen. You don't use deadly force to counter verbal threats. You will be judged on how you decide to defend yourself. It would be a hard row to hoe if there was no deadly weapon other than yours involved.

If you are the one that introduces deadly force into a situation guess who would be justified if one of the drunk's friends happened to also be a concealed permit holder and shoots you?

A less than lethal alternative is far more likely to be needed and also a lot easier to justify.

If the only tool you have is a hammer then every problem looks like a nail.
    Your advice here and historically is going to get somebody (perhaps you) badly hurt or killed some day.
    Tally XD likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links