Defensive Carry banner

Domino Pizza delivery driver fired.

20K views 50 replies 40 participants last post by  noway2 
#1 ·
I was watching the news Friday night and they reported that in Witchita Kansas a delivery driver was making a delivery and was threatened and pulled a gun and shot at an assailant. (very few details as usual) he was fired for having a gun. I emailed corporate that night with my opinion regarding the right to defend ones self. To my surprise they responded Saturday morning saying they would look into it and get back to me. Once gain I am amazed that the right to defend ones life is seen as a policy issue rather than a God given duty! Please liberals,you may not care for your life but I surely care for mine. I'll post the corporate reply if/when I get it.

#2 ·
Well if the job won't let you defend yourself, first off they can take a long walk off a short bridge from a mountain, second are they gonna pay for lost time at work? Hospital bills? Death benefits burial costs and all the other bills?

#29 ·
These big companys suck .

Sorry but thet do they dont give a darn bout the employess in these days and time and will tell you that.

Its time that all of them pay threw the nose if am Employee looses life or limb due to there policys.

I have posted bout this on other threads I have been in retial for 30 plus years . (auto service management )

One company I worked for would fire you on spot but made you take huge amounts of cash to bank at very late hours.

Many where robbed I carried there every day :wink:

#3 ·
While I do not like the policy, I certainly understand it. It would be a huge liability for any company to allow their employees to carry lethal weapons. At the very least they would need to ensure that their employees were properly trained.

Tough to avoid the rocky road of a political discussion when talking about subjects such as these, but the unfortunate reality of our current state is that the bad guys seem to have more rights/support than the good guys. Especially from a civil point of view.

Until that reality changes, I wouldn't let an employee of mine carry, either. I completely agree with and understand Domino's policy.

Just an opinion,
Doc

#24 ·
Although I am not a lawyer, that is not necessarily true here in Wisconsin. From our Dept. of Justice webpage:

"Wisconsin’s concealed carry law does not exempt individual license holders from civil liability for their actions. You could be sued and found liable for property damage, injury, or deaths caused by your actions.
The only liability protection provided by Wisconsin statute is for the following actors:
• A person who does not prohibit an individual from carrying a concealed weapon on property that the person owns or occupies is immune from any liability arising from his or her decision.
An employer who does not prohibit one or more employees from carrying a concealed weapon is immune from any liability arising from that decision.
• A person providing a firearms training course in good faith is immune from liability from any act or omission related to the course if the course is one of the courses listed in statute."

#4 ·
already running

HERE

But I'm sorry, if I were to be a bartender, pizza man, cabbie, c-store clerk, or other "at-risk" employment, I'm afraid I'd be breaking company policy on the job... And, I'd instruct my estate to sue the company if I were injured/killed on the job whether I was armed or not.

#6 ·
I could see that going one way or the other...depending on where it happened. I think just about every pizza delivery guy drives their own vehicle.

But I don't think the pizza guy will get in trouble legally, it's just that he wasn't allowed to carry a firearm while working and chose to anyways. By the sounds of it, it worked out for him but now he is unemployed.

#25 ·
You can then add every chain pizza place to your list as I think they all follow and have the same stupid policy. You the delivery guy are more expendable (they can always find another sucker at minimum wage) than the lawsuit they fear.

#11 ·
We have all our right to defend ourselves. But the driver boy is also wrong. It's not right to have a gun or rather bring a gun when he goes to work. All customers who might see the gun maybe threatened or get scared.
That wouldn't be any problem as long as he kept it concealed. I know a bunch of people who have guns in their cars, or on their person at work when company policy says no. But, that IS because of the areas they work in. The last store I worked at, and at this one, the area around me is terrible. The neighborhood I live in, I would not leave my house without carrying- because I would be coming home after dark.

I would love to move, but I can't get out of my lease, or afford anything else right now. But, the real point here is that as long as the delivery guy kept it concealed- which it seems that he had because NOBODY knew about it until he had to draw and fire- there would be no problems.

#12 ·
We have all our right to defend ourselves. But the driver boy is also wrong. It's not right to have a gun or rather bring a gun when he goes to work. All customers who might see the gun maybe threatened or get scared.
Not sure if Trolling...

Are you serious? You understand that without his weapon, this man could have been hurt or killed? I know little of the situation, but it seems it was a good shoot, and he legally defended himself. I could not care less if the pubic is scared of my legal weapon. And he was not wrong, he put his job at risk when he carried to work, but that was his own decision.

#13 ·
Alright. It was just an opinion. I am a girl, so I am scared of seeing a man with a gun unless his a police officer.
Not to be rude, but this IS a message board about carrying firearms. Concealed carry (the main way people carry their handguns) means that the firearms aren't seen by the public. It's a topic that is discussed constantly on this forum. You may want to refrain from posting until you've had a chance to look around.

I mean, I don't go on a NASCAR forum and tell the drivers not to speed...

#14 ·
I mean, I don't go on a NASCAR forum and tell the drivers not to speed...
That was funny dtox, but she may be here looking to expand her view on concealed carry.

Welcome shielazz79, just because you see a gun don't instantly think danger, many of the people on this forum carry a firearm daily and never would use a firearm to harm an innocent person or act irresponsibly in the slightest. I believe protecting myself and those I love is my responsibility and that is why I train, discuss theory and CC. I don't think relying on someone else to rush to my rescue and put their life in harms way is a responsible or honorable choice. I stand behind our forefather's belief in the 2nd Amendment and the rights afforded me by God to protect life and liberty. Welcome to the forum and please read up on what go's on here, we have some very knowledgable and well spoken members who may just change your outlook on personal protection and firearms. Welcome aboard.

Reactions: sniperxix
#15 ·
This happened a couple of years ago here in St. Louis. The same pizza company as well. The driver was delivering to a bogus address and they were waiting to rob him at gun point. He drew his weapon and killed one and the other ran away. He simply resigned before they fired him. It was a good shoot with no BS charges being filed against the driver. The other BG was apprehended.

#16 ·
Update: as of now I have had no further response from Dominio's. Points I would like to make: 1) Some may consider the driver an independent contractor as all he is doing is delivering a product. Depending on the employment arrangements. 2) I would rather be alive and fired than on a slab. 3) The values of the area will have a huge effect on the final outcome ( conservative vs. liberal) 4) I have a step son who has delivered pizzas for 15 years and I worry about his safety every day. He does not carry. 5) My son just applied for a temp job ( construction) and he must sign a " no guns" agreement or no job.

I am not sure that society "as a whole:" will ever fully accept a persons right to self defense, with a gun, as long liberals refuse to accept that bad people will do bad things and only a gun will stop them.

Wow it's a long way down off this soap box.

#17 ·
Timezoneguy said:
Please liberals,you may not care for your life but I surely care for mine. I'll post the corporate reply if/when I get it. <snip> The values of the area will have a huge effect on the final outcome ( conservative vs. liberal) <snip> as long liberals refuse to accept that bad people will do bad things
You do realize we are talking about the problem being COMPANY POLICY here and most businesses are run by CONSERVATIVES don't you?

Edit: I do believe the right for self defense and the legal right to carry should trump company policy, period.

#33 ·
Don't know what the deal is with the asterisks in the quote, but I did and copy-and-paste from their website: https://tmsc.dominos.com/DpDocLib/hr/HB_Store_2012.pdf

Firearms are covered on page 28.
Cleaned it up for ya

"FIREARMS AND WEAPONS”

“To the extent permitted by local and state law, team members are prohibited from carrying or

possessing a weapon (including a firearm) or weapon paraphernalia (including live ammunition) while on duty,

on company premises, or in personal vehicles being used for company business or company‐

owned or company‐leased vehicles, regardless of whether the team member has a permit to carry a

weapon. The company reserves the right to search f or weapons on company premises or in personal

vehicle used for company business or company‐owned or company‐leased vehicles to the extent

permitted by local and state law. Team members should have no expectation of privacy on company

premises, including company parking lots, or in personal vehicles used for company business or

company‐owned or company‐leased vehicles."

#22 ·
The 2nd amendment does not apply to workplaces since the Constitution only applies to the government. An employee has the option of no longer working for a company if they do not like their policies/rules. Many companies have other policies/rules that employees do not like yet they continue to work there. The choice is up to each individual whether it is in their best interest to stay with the company.

#45 ·
While 2nd Amendment was written to ensure that government is prohibited from infringing our right to self-defense, there is no right to ban weapons from workplaces in most states. A policy such as this is merely a piece of paper. Delivery drivers in these states retain their right to carry, regardless of employer policy. To quote Albert Einstein, "Policy, schmolicy."

#26 ·
It's their football so you kind of have to play by their rules or leave the game. Sorry that's the way it is.
How about a folding baton, pepper spray or a taser. Baseball bats and tire irons will also work in a pinch.

#28 ·
Better to be tried by 12 then carried by 6...

As has been stated... A pizza delivery job is not a huge career boost anyway...

No way I would NOT carry doing delivery... even if I were a UPS guy...

#30 ·
Believe it or not, I grew up with Domino's CEO and am connected to him on Facebook. I am going to send him a message to ask about this. Will let you know if I hear anything.

#31 ·
Sounds to me like the young man made his decision, and now he has to live with the consequences of that decision.

He knew, when he decided to carry that weapon to protect himself, that one day he may be fired, for using that weapon. It is what it is. I'd say "Way to go young man. You're alive today because of your decision. You were looking for a job when Domino's hired you, so get back out there and find yourself another job".

My guess, is with all of this publicity, a business owner will step forward and offer him a better opportunity then driving the pizza delivery route.

Ya'll be safe.

#32 ·
It's an interesting conversation. A friend of mine was telling me that he was listening to a local talk radio show this week and they were interviewing a prominent member of our state legislature, whom also happens to be an attorney. Someone called in and stated that their employer (a local public university) had a no guns allowed policy. The caller wanted to know if the policy prevented him from carrying on their grounds even though he had the enhanced carry permit. The lawmaker stated that it did NOT and that state law trumped the policy. That seems suggest that so long as you are in a public place a company policy couldn't prevent you from carrying. At least not here. If they fired you for it, you may have grounds to sue.

Here, the enhanced carry permit allows you to conceal carry anywhere except police/sheriff/highway patrol stations, jails, courtrooms with a judicial proceeding in progress and places of nuisance.

#34 ·
Dominos Weapon Policy

I am actually currently a delivery driver for a Domino's Pizza and our policy is we are not allowed to carry any form of weapon of any sort this includes pepper spray. I have had recently had a driver get held up at gun point and he ended up breaking our no weapons policy by having a concealed firearm in his car if it was not for that he most likely would have been killed. Do I agree with the policy, I would have to say on one hand I do and on the other hand I don't. I belive Delivery Drivers no matter what the company is should have the right to carry but be trained and certified first by local law enforcement.

#35 ·
I am actually currently a delivery driver for a Domino's Pizza and our policy is we are not allowed to carry any form of weapon of any sort this includes pepper spray. I have had recently had a driver get held up at gun point and he ended up breaking our no weapons policy by having a concealed firearm in his car if it was not for that he most likely would have been killed. Do I agree with the policy, I would have to say on one hand I do and on the other hand I don't. I belive Delivery Drivers no matter what the company is should have the right to carry but be trained and certified first by local law enforcement.
Where do you get trained and certified by law enforcement??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.