Going out to eat….. Where do you sit? What do you look for? - Page 2

Going out to eat….. Where do you sit? What do you look for?

This is a discussion on Going out to eat….. Where do you sit? What do you look for? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If they seat me I pick the most proper seat for aall available view points. If I seat then best aailable for view points. My ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Going out to eat….. Where do you sit? What do you look for?

If they seat me I pick the most proper seat for aall available view points. If I seat then best aailable for view points.

My wife automatically knows where I am sitting when we sit down and naturally goes to the other seat, or sits next to me.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

It depends. If there's a wait to be seated, I look for the bar, and have a drink while I wait. If not, I look for the seat furthest from the bathroom and the kitchen, because I like a nice quiet meal, without raising a stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    If they seat you, I'll sit at the table they assign me to, I pick the seat I want to view entry points. If I seat myself, I put my back to the wall and face the entry points as best as possible.
    ditto

RKM
    I sit where they seat me and try to have a good view of the whole room and door. I'll look for exits, but I usually don't stress about it. I'll sit where I sit and that's that really. I do my best from there.

I am not a fanatic about it, but I do prefer to sit where I can see the entrance and most of the room. Also, if riding my Harley, I like to be able to keep an eye on it as well. And I most certainly do NOT like to be seated in a booth with little kids anywhere near me! I've got grandkids of my own and they were taught, just like their parents, to behave at an early age! That isn't true with many of the ones you see out in restaurants with todays permissive parents. No offense to those of you who teach your kids to behave. I just can't stand out of control kids in public.
    RKflorida and Hoganbeg like this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I don't obsess about it... my points earlier were observations about what gets robbed and what doesn't. Some of the best food comes from "dives."

But I do break down things into "simple"
    So, think like a bad guy... sit where he ain't gonna be:
    • If I can see a register out in the open, I want some distance between me and it. And I'd like to be able to see it and any other way out.
    • If I can't see a register, the bad guys can't either. They're more likely to go for the bank bag after closing, and I can sit wherever.

When traveling, we try to eat at places that are uniform in food and service. Chains. Cracker Barrel is a frequent stop, McDonald's when not stopping, and so on...

Cracker Barrel... takes in a lot of money (cash and credit)...but the register is well separated from the dining area. If one gets hit while you're eating, you may never know (as noisy as they are).

Waffle Houses and IHOPS are middle class (working stiffs) and probably have more real cash at the register. Makes them a potentially lucrative target. Register's right up front... in and out.

Once you've thought it out, you don't have to obsess about it, it's in your "database."
    barstoolguru likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I sit where they put us and look for anything out of the ordinary, crusty food on my fork, hair in my sandwich, etc... Luckily action has only been required a couple of times, I've been very fortunate and they've always taken care of the problem.

:)

I don't live my life day to day wondering when or if something will happen, I keep a general eye out for the obvious red flags but generally just go about my day like I always do.

Some may think that's terrible, others may agree... everyone is different and has their own comfort zone based on their life and surroundings.

I'm more concerned with my kids looking for cars, crossing the street and making it through the Walmart parking lot without getting backed into than a confrontation with a bad guy at any given moment throughout the day. I think if I lived my life thinking about the in's and out's everywhere I went that I'd be absolutely exhausted mentally by days end.

I use my normal situational awarness like always. If I have a choice I face entrances and sit close to a fire exit. If I don't have a choice I sit wherever and watch around me but I always remember to watch my wife and son as to not miss out on the important things in life.

I do my best to

A. sit away from families with kids
    B. sit away from the front door
    c. sit with my back facing a wall and front facing the entrance
    d. sit away from the kitchen or server stations

While seated I keep my SA up for anything out of place or dangerous.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    I don't obsess over these things. Life is too short.
    Seems a strange response from someone on a forum mainly devoted to self-defense.

Michael

VIP Member
    The first thing I look for is clean doors - no gun buster signs.

I prefer chairs over a booth, but won't make an issue out of it. If given a choice, or if a table with chairs is open, I will request it, but won't reject a booth if that is what they have. I did not think about this too much until we did a drill at a TDI course on getting up from a chair and engaging a perp. It is, obviously, much easier to get up from a chair, although a surreptitous draw may be easier with the concealment of a booth. If I have to take a booth, I will try to get one where I can see the doors while having my right side to the closed side of the booth. This facilitates that covert draw if needed.

I stay away from the bar as 1) I don't drink, 2) that is where fights tend to start and 3) too easy to get bump frisked (or pick pocketed).

I scope the exits in the vicinity of where they seat me and try to keep the ones that are open to the public in view while seated.

Kids don't bother me so much as adults that constantly bang against the back of the booth directly behind you so that you are constatnly being bounced around. Some people don't know how to behave in public and should not be there.
    marcclarke likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I try to sit with my back against a wall, or failing that, near a window where I can see the entrance. That way I can keep my eye on who is coming in the restaurant and if I see somebody coming in with a ski mask on, then I'll be taking preemptive action before they get to the door.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Seems a strange response from someone on a forum mainly devoted to self-defense.

Michael
    There's reasonable self-defense awareness, and then there's paranoia.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I always give the hostess a 10 spot and tell them I need a seat where I can have a good sight picture of the cash register, the front door, the kitchen door and every patron in the place. I also need a seat with an unimpeded draw, as well as a minimum of potential background collateral friendlies. I also need a non-secured table so I can push it out of the way to retrieve my ankle carry, as well as tip it and use it as cover when I engage multiple targets. I also never eat anywhere where there's pool tables (pool cues and object balls are frequently used as potentially lethal weapons), and I never eat at Waffle Houses or Denny's because that's where all those funky videos originate from. I also tell them I get real pissed off if my drink gets empty, and I also tip 30%.
    RugerMike and thephanatik like this.

When I posted this I was expecting more macho responses but instead I got lots of good examples. Things I never thought of. Is the cash register in the open, is it in the same room, the type of restaurant (I would have never thought of) all of these things are something to think about. Am I paranoid, no but I don't want to be a victim ether

edit: seating makes a difference

Masked Cowards Rob And Terrorize Waffle House Customers - YouTube
    adric22 likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links