Going out to eat….. Where do you sit? What do you look for? - Page 3

Going out to eat….. Where do you sit? What do you look for?

This is a discussion on Going out to eat….. Where do you sit? What do you look for? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and son are used to me wanting to sit against with my back preferably to a wall and if in a booth I ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Going out to eat….. Where do you sit? What do you look for?

My wife and son are used to me wanting to sit against with my back preferably to a wall and if in a booth I prefer the outside seat. Otherwise just pay attention to what's going on, most of the time I don't have much of a say in where they seat me.

My back doesn't HAVE to be against a wall, but I always make sure I face the door...I like to see those entering.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    There's reasonable self-defense awareness, and then there's paranoia.
    True, I am not so paranoid that I believe there are people everywhere just waiting for me to let my guard down so they can attack me. I am however aware of my surroundings. If forced to sit in a non defensible spot I will look around and take notice of where a threat might come from.
    No more paranoid that it is when I try to walk on the lighted side of the street instead of the dark when possible.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    If they seat you, I'll sit at the table they assign me to, I pick the seat I want to view entry points. If I seat myself, I put my back to the wall and face the entry points as best as possible.
    Me too

As a few have said, I don't really obsess about it. Now I do it without realizing.

I went to a new restaurant with a friend of mine in a bigger city than I'm used to that has quite a bit of gang activity. I went to sit in a far back corner, by a fire exit with my back to the wall so that I could see everything and have a quick escape, if needed. I sat down first, and my buddy came over (who also carries) to sit for about 3 seconds before he asked me if I wanted to change seats. I didn't give it a second thought until he asked. I don't obsess about it, it just feels right. We wound up sitting at another table that was sitting diagonally in the room so that we both had the same view and one family to our backs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    If they seat you, I'll sit at the table they assign me to, I pick the seat I want to view entry points. If I seat myself, I put my back to the wall and face the entry points as best as possible.
    same here

I'm not going to lie, I usually sit where I can see people walking in. Not because I'm afraid of something terrible happening, I just love to people watch.

When I walk in I look for any exits and cover if needed. I always make sure I can see the door from where I sit. Before sitting down I take a look around to get my bearings straight. I can have normal conversations with multiple people at dinner but will still look up everytime the door opens. It has become a natural occurence to me and nobody notices. I just like to be prepared. Living in South Dakota/Iowa/Minnesota area not much happens here but I have trained myself to be ready in all situations.

I always sit against the wall in the furthest table. I put the wife in the seat between me and the door (b***h has been bad-mouthing Sarah Palin lately, she's expendable!) I keep a close eye on all of the Arab and Hispanic waiters, ready to bust a cap on their terrorist a***s without hesitation, Be prepared for the rug rats too, they have all been taught to be liberals at their pinko schools so they are legitimate targets. Don't worry, I am going to make you all proud that I have an HCP.

Above is sarcasm. I hope you knew that! If I go to a restaurant, I go there to relax and eat. I keep my alert level at yellow, which I am at all times anyways, but I try to use "herd tactics" by being in the middle of the floor and in the busiest section. If you think about it, you are probably not going to be able to fire without becoming the main "killer of innocents" in the scenario anyways.
    RKflorida likes this.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

I like to find the alternate exits, but that's because I'm a firefighter and have done a lot of research in college on large fires that killed many people, and it's just good safety. Most deaths occurred from the "caveman" mentality where you exit the same way you came in because that's the only way you know how. The Station Night Club fire a few years ago is a prime example, bodies piled to the top of the doorway in the front, rear door was wide open and only a few exited that way. Around 100 people died.

In other terms I generally like to face the entrance just because, but it's not a big deal.
    Yankeejib likes this.

I'm a single guy, I'm more likely to sit with an unimpeded view of an attractive female that a view with emergency exit doors or potential bad guys. I always keep an eye and ear on my surroundings but I did that even before carrying a gun. Im observant and maybe a little nosey!

And I'll tell you what, if I'm sitting at a Red Robin (I've never been to one that wasn't jam packed) and a raging inferno breaks out or something that would require everyone to exit the building immediately I'm not gonna funnel through a couple of exit doors with 200+ other people.

Ex Member
    I ALWAYS ask for a booth/against the wall. 99% of the time I get it.

since you cannot legally carry in resturaunts that serve alcohol i dont care, just another lamb

If I'm carrying my firearm, I just enter a restaurant, sit, eat, and enjoy my meal. I've been doing that for 38 years now. Keeps my blood pressure low and I'm still alive.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I try to sit where I cannot be approached from behind and have been known to ask for a different table if one is available. If I'm with my wife and strategic seating is not available, we agree to watch each others back sectors. When I drive up to the restaurant it's usually pretty easy to see where the kitchen door is located and I make a mental note. Upon entering I note the locations of things like the restrooms, payphones, alternate exits, and the entrance into the kitchen. I particularly note where all the rowdy people are. Teenagers, large groups, or families with kids. Not that they're dangerous, but noise is not my friend. After my "mental snapshot" of the place I'm ready to have a good time. After playing "what if..." hundreds of times one gets to see the similarities in restaurant design and group dynamics. Patterns start to emerge. Here is something to take note of. In a shooting it may be faster to escape through the kitchen if the action is at the front. If it's a fire, it has likely started in the kitchen and is well involved before you became aware of it so that would be the exit to avoid. Also, I'm not above putting a chair through a window if need be.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links