Going out to eatů.. Where do you sit? What do you look for?

This is a discussion on Going out to eatů.. Where do you sit? What do you look for? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You and your wife, GF or friend (kids optional) are going out to eat dinner and are packing. it can be someplace local or somewhere ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Going out to eatů.. Where do you sit? What do you look for?

Going out to eatů.. Where do you sit? What do you look for?

You and your wife, GF or friend (kids optional) are going out to eat dinner and are packing. it can be someplace local or somewhere new if you are out of town.

When you walk in to a place what do you look for? Do you really look for exits, seating near the back or close to the kitchen? Do you like a booth or table and chair? Do you want a seat facing the front door or a window seat that overlooks the parking lot?

Do you request a seat for a tactical advantage if something happens or do you just take what they offer and sit accordingly?

2. Remove Ads

If they seat you, I'll sit at the table they assign me to, I pick the seat I want to view entry points. If I seat myself, I put my back to the wall and face the entry points as best as possible.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Those are some ways among outhers to help keep you alive. How serious are you about keeping you and your loved ones alive? Life out and about you need to take serious.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I prefer sittin where i can see the entrance / es if at all possible.....keep an eye out for hotties / i mean BGs .....
    jester243 and hazard123 like this.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Most good restaurants don't have seating for you anywhere near a kitchen or the entry. I take what I get in those places.

Chains (mid range) tend to have a register (for seating)desk at the front, but you pay the waitress. and a maze of places to sit... like Texas Roadhouse, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, and the like. Pretty much take what I can get there as well.

Pub like places (Applebees, Chili's) are a bit more open.. but you still pay the wait staff. I want to sit away from the bar (that's where the money is).

Mom and pop outfits/diners etc. (including chains like IHOP, Denny's, WaffleHouse) you may or may not pay the wait staff... Register at the front, an obvious way to get to the back door, and for some reason, probably more likely to be robbed... more cash maybe. And usually, there's a lot of glass, so you can see out into a parking lot. Any way, in those types of places, I like a view of everything I can... outside, front, and a way out... And I try to sit there.

I mean what robberies have you heard of at the upscale french restaurant in town? If you have, it's after hours and they're after the bank bag. But, you do hear of Waffle House, IHOP, Denny's... robbing the register...

So, rule of thumb... If you see a register, get seating that lets you see as much as possible... or be completely away from it... and around a corner if possible...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I sit where they seat me and look at the menu.........
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    I used to sit in the non-smoking section, but since we got rid of public smoking, I can sit anywhere now. First and foremost, I look for good food. Next, I'm wanting reasonable prices. Finally, I like prompt, friendly service.

My policy is back against the wall and keep an eye on all entry/exit locations, I prefer chairs over a booth, chairs are easier to stand up from or throw at the bg, or both...my personal preference
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Around here, during snowbird season, you sit wherever the host finds you a seat--or you wait hours on end or go elsewhere.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I don't obsess over these things. Life is too short.
    GunTrooper and hienykins like this.

I look for good food, and a table far away from people with kids.

mrm
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    I don't obsess over these things. Life is too short.
    This is my answer also.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

When my wife and I eat out we want to have a safe, relaxing meal with good service and good food.
    As mentioned before we prefer not to be seated near small children, the bar or the cash register.
    When seated I will face the entrance. I don't obsess over these things but I believe in the safety of
    myself and my family. I look for fire exits everywhere we go especially in theaters and aircraft or any public transportation.
    Life is short I just don't want to make it any shorter by not being aware of my surroundings.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I sit where they seat me, but I always note where the kitchen and emergency exits are. Other than that my family knows I always sit facing the front door and they will do what I tell them without asking questions if things get odd.

Jim
    Chad Rogers and marcclarke like this.

If im on my bike I like to sit near a window to watch my bike where I can watch the door as well. my girlfriends picked up the same habbits. Ill either watch the bike or she will the other takes the main door.

If they seat me I try and put the less amount of people behind me as possible or the elderly couple.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links