The BG's gun - after the fact - Page 2

The BG's gun - after the fact

This is a discussion on The BG's gun - after the fact within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Preserving the crime scene and attendant evidence is very important. You can't really shoot someone for walking off with evidence. If you have a cell ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The BG's gun - after the fact

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Preserving the crime scene and attendant evidence is very important.

You can't really shoot someone for walking off with evidence.

If you have a cell phone with a camera or limited video, you can take pictures of the scene and evidence.

This would definitely help if something turns up missing or of the prosecutor decides to withhold evidence.

Jim

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    I`d stand on the gun and NOT let Anybody touch or move it at all!!!. If it goes missing so does my case therefor I`m doomed.

In self defense training scenarios, a common set-up is the person who keeps approaching you with his hands up, saying something like "whoa, hold on there buddy! I'm just here to check the gas meter, put that gun down!"

No sane person walks up to someone holding a weapon on them, at the ready, and keeps getting closer.
    The same after a shooting.....
    You've just demonstrated your determination and your abililty.
    No sane person is going to continue towards you and the perp's discarded weapon with you covering the approach.

If they do, then they deserve to be in the same position as the BG on the ground.

A riot being the obvious exception to the above, since there will be people running everywhere.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blindeye View Post
    In self defense training scenarios, a common set-up is the person who keeps approaching you with his hands up, saying something like "whoa, hold on there buddy! I'm just here to check the gas meter, put that gun down!"

No sane person walks up to someone holding a weapon on them, at the ready, and keeps getting closer.
    The same after a shooting.....
    You've just demonstrated your determination and your abililty.
    No sane person is going to continue towards you and the perp's discarded weapon with you covering the approach.

If they do, then they deserve to be in the same position as the BG on the ground.

A riot being the obvious exception to the above, since there will be people running everywhere.
    What if they are trying to get to the downed person to administer first aid? While there is some truth to your statement, you can't use it as a catch all concept and just shoot anyone who approaches. There needs to be a threat and because someone is moving towards either you or the bad guy and his dropped gun doesn't give you carte blanche to open fire.

What if they are trying to get to the downed person to administer first aid? While there is some truth to your statement, you can't use it as a catch all concept and just shoot anyone who approaches. There needs to be a threat and because someone is moving towards either you or the bad guy and his dropped gun doesn't give you carte blanche to open fire.
    ....who in their right mind would try to administer first aid to someone, when the guy who just shot them is standing right there?

a friend or family member?....eh.......thats pushing it...

a stranger.......no way.

heck, EMTs wont even go into a "hot zone"......

granted you cant just shoot anyone that comes onto the scene of the incident......but they should definatelly rise some serious suspicion, and i wouldnt take my eyes off them for a second.

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post

If you have a cell phone with a camera or limited video, you can take pictures of the scene and evidence.

This would definitely help if something turns up missing or of the prosecutor decides to withhold evidence.

Jim
    What a great idea that has actually no practical way of being accomplished.

You just shot someone.

You should be doing a bunch of other things, like attending to your own wounds, assessing the situation for subsequent threats, determining if your people are OK, topping off your weapon, taking cover and looking for the cops...

And you are going to play with the phone to get pictures?

Yeah.

You were really frightened of the situation. So frightened you took photos?

Gonna post them on facebook?

Give me a break.

The idea of photographing the incident with your phone means, among other things, your phone becomes evidence. That means they dump your phone's memory and get to see EVERYTHING that was on it, erased or not.

You really, really want people to know that much about your life?

Really?
    sigmanluke likes this.

I'm not touching their gun, and neither will anyone else.... that's one thing I would make sure of. I want Police finding it right where it fell and with their finger prints on it.

All you need is your fingerprints anywhere on it and it be a stolen gun, then someone claiming then it was a throw down you put there for you to be in deep pooooo.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I'm not touching their gun, and neither will anyone else.... that's one thing I would make sure of. I want Police finding it right where it fell and with their finger prints on it.

All you need is your fingerprints anywhere on it and it be a stolen gun, then someone claiming then it was a throw down you put there for you to be in deep pooooo.
    you know.....i hear everyone talking about "leaving the fingerprints intact"...........but do the police really check the guns for prints? can you even get viable prints off of a gun in that scenario?

any police officers, lawyers, ect. out there have any first hand experience to shed some light on this? or is it just a "well thats what they do in the movies" kind of thing?

i hear that even under ideal circumstances....getting a viable print is difficult......i cant imagine trying to lift a usable print of a plastic/ wood/ metal gun, with contoured surfaces, and that has been handled, slipped, dropped, ect.....

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I'd keep the downed BG covered with my gun while approaching him/her slowly, cuffs go on, when the threat is over I'm on the phone with 911, depending on the injuries to the BG I'd secure the gun if needed, then begin 1st aid as needed. I don't WANT to save their life, but it's part of my job to try.
    Wait...are you a LEO? If not, you carry cuffs? Please explain.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Wait...are you a LEO? If not, you carry cuffs? Please explain.
    Yes, I am.

To reply to Mcameron:
    We have sent several guns to the crime lab, we have never had a useable print recovered from them while I've been here.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links