The BG's gun - after the fact

This is a discussion on The BG's gun - after the fact within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking at the post-shooting scenario a minute... You're forced to use deadly force to prevent death or bodily injury from an armed assailant. After being ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The BG's gun - after the fact

The BG's gun - after the fact

Looking at the post-shooting scenario a minute...

You're forced to use deadly force to prevent death or bodily injury from an armed assailant. After being shot, he falls to the ground, etc. Of course, his gun will fall to the ground as well. What are your thoughts about what to do with it? I'm thinking if there are people around, somebody might pick it up. What if some 15 year old hoodie picks it up and when you tell him not to, he says "shut up-" Actually, in holding that gun in the open in public, he is in serious violation. What are you going to do, shoot him too? You can see where this could go...

As always, a lot of this depends on the situation, but I'm feeling like unless there was absolutely nobody around, I would be tempted to carefully, protecting the fingerprints, pick it up and secure it. If you think that's a dumb idea, by all means say so. What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by SIXTO; December 8th, 2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: removed language violation

2. Remove Ads

Tampering with a crime scene is a big no-no. I would highly doubt someone would come near to the scene of someone who just got shot lawfully. Most people go running for cover without even looking at whats going on (natural instincts). BUT, if I did determine that it was required to secure the BG's weapon, I would first take a LOT of pictures of the scene. I would also send them to someone I trust (creating an instant backup copy of the photos with a timestamp). Only then would I secure the weapon.

As for tampering with a crime scene - that goes for someone else too. In many cases, that can result in criminal charges. So I would do just about everything I could to NOT touch anything and prevent anyone else from touching it. That being said, I would slowly and carefully approach the BG after he has stopped moving to check for a pulse. Only once I ensure there is no more wasted air in his lungs would I also secure my own weapon.

OpJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ruark View Post
    You're forced to use deadly force to prevent death or bodily injury from an armed assailant. After being shot, he falls to the ground, etc. Of course, his gun will fall to the ground as well. What are your thoughts about what to do with it? I'm thinking if there are people around, somebody might pick it up. What if some 15 year old hoodie picks it up and when you tell him not to, he says "shut up, m*****f*****." Actually, in holding that gun in the open in public, he is in serious violation. What are you going to do, shoot him too? You can see where this could go...
    Good question. I think if it were a friend of the BG, I'd probably shoot him too as I'd be afraid for my life that the friend was going to use the gun to shoot me.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

This makes me wonder something else.
    NOT trying to hijack the thread, so will start another....
    See General Firearms discussion.

Administrator
    I'd smack him upside the head for his language.. then let him go if thats all he does.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I'd step on the gun, then the gun is secured. Guns usually do not have latent prints on them anyway due to the oils that they are cleaned with and the polymers they are made with. Keeping the gun in place is more important than smearing some prints. If that gun disappears so does your case.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    If that gun disappears so does your case.
    That's a good point I hadn't thought of either. if the cops show up and you say "some guy ran off with the gun." they're going to go "yeah right." So unless there are other witnesses, that could be a problem. So that gives me one extra reason to shoot anyone who tries to take the gun.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

If some punk thinks he can get a gun for just picking it up and running off with it, it will be gone!

Secure it without touching it with your hands, step on it or whatever, but don’t let someone abscond with it, leaving you with a week story.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    There have been alleged incidents of weapons disappearing from crime scenes, If I were involved I would be on the phone with LE and have my foot on the weapon, my head on a swivel. If the scene allowed I may even take a description of the weapon/SN, but by no means would I touch it. I'm not letting necessary proof be picked up by one of the thugs friends or family members so that I can be accused of wrong doing. All of this information would be passed on to the 911 operator if time allowed.

I have to agree, at all cost you need to maintian control of the gun. If that means standing on it or what ever. One thing I didn't see directly mentioned is the fact that if the BG dropped it when he was shot, then it's still within his reach. What do you do in a scenario where the BG is down, but not dead. You can't justifiably put another round in his head as he is lying there, but still I don't want have him make a grab for the gun. I also don't want to put myself within arms reach of the BG just to retrieve the gun. I hate to say it, but it almost seems like your best bet is to kick the gun out of the reach of the BG then stand on it to prevent others from taking it.

As far as standing on the gun, someone else mentioned doing this to your own gun once the police arrive on scene. They are not going to know who is who as they roll up, so the other person suggested placing your gun on the ground and standing on it to maintain control of it. This seems smarter than standing there holding it as the police approach.

As far as standing on the gun, someone else mentioned doing this to your own gun once the police arrive on scene. They are not going to know who is who as they roll up, so the other person suggested placing your gun on the ground and standing on it to maintain control of it. This seems smarter than standing there holding it as the police approach.
    that sounds like a terrible idea.......sorry.

what happens if the BG isnt as disabled as you thought, and pulls another gun out of his pocket........or what if one of his buddies shows up............then what? your gun isnt at the ready.

ide imagine the best thing to do would be to kick the gun out of immediate reach of the BG......secure the scene as best you can.....and keep your gun drawn while on the phone with 911 until police arrive....... and follow their instructions as what to do with your gun when police show up.

VIP Member
    I'd keep the downed BG covered with my gun while approaching him/her slowly, cuffs go on, when the threat is over I'm on the phone with 911, depending on the injuries to the BG I'd secure the gun if needed, then begin 1st aid as needed. I don't WANT to save their life, but it's part of my job to try.
    Last edited by sigmanluke; December 9th, 2011 at 09:28 AM. Reason: more
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

It's an interesting question. Clearly, you need to make sure the attacker can't reach it. Anyone else suddenly made leery about "kicking" some random gun, though? Any chance that a POC or modified gun (or, say, a single action that is cocked) could be caused to fire by landing hard/hitting a rock, etc.? I mean, I realize it's a much BIGGER risk if you don't get it out of reach of someone who might actually try to shoot you with it. It's just a thought that occurs to me as I read this thread.

evaluate the situation how badly hurt is the bad guy who are the witness around if its more of the BG friends they maybe accomplices so quickly shout verbal commands to stay back while calling 911 and depending on where this happened near vehicle or home I will look around for some object to secure the firearm out of harms way with out trying to touch it. will explain to 911 also the situation or may have a good witness call 911 while making sure the scene remains un disturbed, also described what I am wearing so the police dont mistake me upon arrival for the BG.

Good thought provoking question!!!

The gun is going to have to remain put, no gun, no self defense.
    If another BG picks it up & points it in my direction,
    he is dead, unless he shoots me first.

Someone running with the gun is another matter and if you shoot him,,,,,
    you will be in a bad spot. Stepping on the gun or moving it out of BG's reach
    is the best answer,,, if you can get to it in time, but DO NOT RELAX;
    stay alert you never know how many BG's are in the area or if the
    original BG is faking.

Location information concerning someone "trying to shoot me" would be passed on to the
    911 operator; I would keep my gun at the ready position until police arrive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links