Gun brandishing for self defense

This is a discussion on Gun brandishing for self defense within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey MadMac: There is a video out there in forumland that shows an officer in the process of arresting a BG who is, if I ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Gun brandishing for self defense

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey MadMac: There is a video out there in forumland that shows an officer in the process of arresting a BG who is, if I remember, down on his knees with one hand still a bit behind his back. A second officer coming around a corner behind the BG then begins to shoot at the BG. From the quick look of the video, you instantly are aghast at what the second officer just did. When they replay it in slow motion, you realize that the BG's hand is reaching for a gun behind his back that is only really seen by the second officer in back of him. Once you see all this, you realize that what you thought you saw is not what was really happening. If that second officer had not been there, the BG would probably have killed or injured the first officer. The old line "let me see your hands" is about as good as it gets when it comes to confronting anyone who may be a BG. I do not believe I have ever seen or heard of a story where a potential BG was able to fire a gun using his feet, knees, thighs, eyeballs, nose or ears--it is always his hands--period/end of story.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey MadMac: There is a video out there in forumland that shows an officer in the process of arresting a BG who is, if I remember, down on his knees with one hand still a bit behind his back. A second officer coming around a corner behind the BG then begins to shoot at the BG. From the quick look of the video, you instantly are aghast at what the second officer just did. When they replay it in slow motion, you realize that the BG's hand is reaching for a gun behind his back that is only really seen by the second officer in back of him. Once you see all this, you realize that what you thought you saw is not what was really happening. If that second officer had not been there, the BG would probably have killed or injured the first officer. The old line "let me see your hands" is about as good as it gets when it comes to confronting anyone who may be a BG. I do not believe I have ever seen or heard of a story where a potential BG was able to fire a gun using his feet, knees, thighs, eyeballs, nose or ears--it is always his hands--period/end of story.
    Agreed - that's why I posted it. It's always the hands.

Quote Originally Posted by jdf3834 View Post
    Who is John R. Lott, Jr. and what do you think of his quotes like the following: "...about 15 national survey organizations in total that range from anything from 760,000 times a year to 3.6 million times a year people use guns defensively. About 98 percent of those simply involve people brandishing a gun and not using them."

And: "When victims are attacked, 98 percent of the time merely brandishing a gun is enough to cause the criminal to stop his attack."

Statements by John R. Lott, Jr. on Defensive Gun Brandishing : Deltoid
    John R Lott, Jr. is a recognized "expert", an author and proponent of concealed carry.

Unfortunately, as the link you referenced points out his research is shoddy at best and fraudulent at worst. The numbers he quotes are a great example of unsubstantiated circular BS. Say the lie, repeat it and if someone else quotes you… it has now become data.

Not sure I would use him as a credible source.

Quote Originally Posted by jdf3834 View Post
    Who is John R. Lott, Jr. and what do you think of his quotes like the following: "...about 15 national survey organizations in total that range from anything from 760,000 times a year to 3.6 million times a year people use guns defensively. About 98 percent of those simply involve people brandishing a gun and not using them."

And: "When victims are attacked, 98 percent of the time merely brandishing a gun is enough to cause the criminal to stop his attack."

Statements by John R. Lott, Jr. on Defensive Gun Brandishing : Deltoid
    Please do not plan to use the brandishing of your firearm as your primary reason for drawing your gun. If you are in a self defense scenario where you fear for your life and you draw your gun, you must have the mind-set that you do intend to use it to end the threat. If firing your weapon is not any part of your intent when you draw the gun, your pause/freeze may be seen as an opening/weakness by whomever is generating the threat. That could have dire consequences for you.

Of course, if the person(s) threatening you retreat or run away, by all means do not fire your gun and be grateful for an outcome where you got to go home unharmed.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links