Heads Up from my son

Heads Up from my son

This is a discussion on Heads Up from my son within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My son called Saturday morning, said there was a guy looking for him. My son is an volunteer EMT/Fireman at the local Fire Protection District ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Heads Up from my son

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar

Heads Up from my son

My son called Saturday morning, said there was a guy looking for him. My son is an volunteer EMT/Fireman at the local Fire Protection District and had situation Friday night. He had just loaded a patient in an ambulance when another guy came running down the driveway wanting information. Son identified himself and explained that only family could get information and no you cannot ride in the ambulance with your friend. Sounds like the guy got irate took his name and gave the impression to my son and others there that he would get even. They filed a report with the Sheriff's department just to let them know what was going on.

Satuday morning the guys walks into the fire station looking for my boy he was not there but the guys notified him. My son called me let know just in case the guy got a phone book and started looking up addresses for people with our last name in the area. Although my son doesn't live with me he thought it would be a good idea to let me know. We live in a semi rual area on a deadend street, not a lot of traffic. I have always felt pretty secure, but decided I would start carring at home. Hope the guy doesn't show up.

Semper Fi

Glad your son let you know. Also good that there is a paper trail on this incident. Hopefully the "guys" at the fire-hall let the Sheriff's Dept know that this guy is following through with his threat.

Keep your eyes open, stay armed, and 911 on speed dial just in case.
    They may be too far away to respond in time, but will at least have a record of what happens.
    Medic218 likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Update?

I'ld just keep my gun on me and handy, which I do all of the time anyway.

Take all threats seriously.

When I was going to college I typically worked 2 part time jobs. I changed jobs because one would pay better at a grocery store in not that great of an area (why they paid more to get you there). The first evening I came in , there was a story about an incident that day of a guy getting mad & the Mgr trying to calm him down, and how the guy kept saying "I'm going to get you". The next day, I was came into work and within 20 minutes the "guy" comes walking in asking for the Mgr. One of the guys tell me, "that's him". He walks up to the Mgr (about 15 ft from me), pulls out a revolver and starts shooting the Mgr at 2 ft away, killing him.

Take nothing , for granted. Hope he stays safe.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Stay safe

Semper Fi

Administrator
    This exact sort of thing seems to really be on the increase these days.
    Sort of like extended OFF-ROAD RAGE with these nut jobs staying really pissed off over dumb trivial crap. Steroid use maybe?
    Or is it a combination of immature Spoiled Brat coupled with drug and alcohol use?

WTH is wrong with people ? I carry 24/7 in my house around my house,going to the store etc. In todays crazy world there are people that would kill you for a cell phone,or tennis shoes,most shooting situations are over in seconds,and you may not have the time or ability to arm up
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I agree these types of incidents are becoming more frequent. It bothers me, but NOT as much as working with people who shrug it off and have little or no SA. They are content believing if they comply with a BG no harm will come to them. One guy I work with was astonished after he was threatened at a gas station on his way to work.I told him hes vulnerable because hes the perfect victim...totally unaware...

OP- Sounds like your son had a run in with a disturbed person. Best way to deal with them imho is be firm but polite. Maybe he can ID him thru the victim. Lets hope its isolated, best to you Sir..

Most non-first responders do not realize the limitations placed on caregivers regarding Protected Health Info (PHI) under the HIPPA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996) laws. They feel that being on scene or being the victim's friend gives them the right to treatment information, outcomes, etc; not knowing that disclosure of information is against federal law and can jeopardize the discloser's livelihood. I see two possible scenarios unfolding; the guy is unbalanced and is interested in some type of retribution, or he could also be looking to apologize for being an idiot on scene and wishes to contritely express his embarrassment to your son in person, now that he has sobered up a bit. In 30+ years of fire and EMS work I've had both experiences, so I agree that it would be prudent to be cautious in case scenario 1 is accurate. Just my .02 from the cheap seats...
    Medic218 likes this.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Talked to my son, the guy has not been around, but is good training for all of us to stay alert. As Retiredonce points to the law that restricts discussion of treatment or anything medical, its hard to inform someone of the law if they won't listen. So you have to be professional and lookout for one another.

Semperfi

Quote Originally Posted by Retiredonce View Post
    Most non-first responders do not realize the limitations placed on caregivers regarding Protected Health Info (PHI) under the HIPPA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996) laws. They feel that being on scene or being the victim's friend gives them the right to treatment information, outcomes, etc; not knowing that disclosure of information is against federal law and can jeopardize the discloser's livelihood. I see two possible scenarios unfolding; the guy is unbalanced and is interested in some type of retribution, or he could also be looking to apologize for being an idiot on scene and wishes to contritely express his embarrassment to your son in person, now that he has sobered up a bit. In 30+ years of fire and EMS work I've had both experiences, so I agree that it would be prudent to be cautious in case scenario 1 is accurate. Just my .02 from the cheap seats...
    This is so true. My wife works as an operator for a hospital. She routinely gets inquiries from people wanting to know if someone is checked into the hospital or what they are in for. Sometimes these people don't even know the patient's last name! The other day a caller threatened to get my wife fired because she wouldn't tell him if his buddy Fred was in the hospital. The caller knew his buddys name was Fred, but didn't know his last name, probably a bar buddy, you know, Fred, that always sits at the end of the bar, and only drinks Budweiser. Yeah that's him.

These people don't realize that the law does not allow giving out personal information on patients. I came home from deer hunting and found out the next day that my boss, who also stood in my wedding was in the hospital. My wife couldn't tell me the day before because I didn't ask and she is not allowed to volunteer information.
    Same thing happend when one of my aunts was in the hospital.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Sounds like it's time for Officer Friendly to find our well-wisher and have a little chit chat.
    JerryMac, Medic218 and oneshot like this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

This should just be a reminder, and you get a heads up on this reminder that trouble may be lurking around the corner. Keep a paper trail, but in a bad situation, the police will come do the paperwork, you have to do what is right. Stay safe and keep your family safe. period !!
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    If something like that happens again, maybe your son can have a deputy go talk to the guy. That may discurage any ideas they may have.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I really think that due to everything that is going on in the world, people really are getting fed up and is taking their anger on people that didn't really do anything to them. In short, people are getting crazier.....
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links